• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase drip

Sevey

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder RTX
I have a chaincase that appears to have about a drip per week.

For those that have had these sleds what’s the opinion- will it worsen in operation or stay status quo.

Looks like changing that seal should pretty much be standard operating procedure on these sleds every year.

Ps- it’s not the oil tank, sled has rollover valve deleted and the chaincase vent is fine.
Also, oil was all changed in April and has been sitting all summer
Thanks
Ms

I just picked up a new gasket the other day. I noticed they are orange now instead of black. I'm not sure if anything other than the colour has changed. I always had a small weep and would lay a beed of gasket maker in with the gasket and it always sealed up for me.

For those that have had these sleds what’s the opinion- will it worsen in operation or stay status quo.

Looks like changing that seal should pretty much be standard operating procedure on these sleds every year.

Ps- it’s not the oil tank, sled has rollover valve deleted and the chaincase vent is fine.
Thanks
Ms
What year is sled? Is this something that’s been going on for more then one season?

The mentioned seal could be bad. One of the ears that the bolts go through could be cracked. Look lower 3-4 inches of case For a casting imperfection or crack. Look on the inside of tunnel with a very bright light. I found this in pic on a brand new 21 cat I bought last year. Surprise surprise!! Garbage quality control on CAT parts and assembly,
CD527E40-82F9-4898-9417-B07853882824.jpeg
6180F469-F865-479C-A673-92045B941A3D.jpeg
BF95A8F3-0DE3-42DA-9D8C-B0ED7D895A41.jpeg

The mentioned seal could be bad. One of the ears that the bolts go through could be cracked. Look lower 3-4 inches of case For a casting imperfection or crack. Look on the inside of tunnel with a very bright light. I found this in pic on a brand new 21 cat I bought last year. Surprise surprise!! Garbage quality control on CAT parts and assembly, View attachment 162949View attachment 162950View attachment 162951
It was the oil tank on this 2020 cat!
The guys thos happened to had a little fire after a wot run on a lake. Stock with 1000km

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-232410_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211009-232410_Messenger.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20211009-232402_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211009-232402_Messenger.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 137
Look closely for cracks in the case itself!! Been seeing a few cracking and leaking.

And like Dmc mentioned the orange gasket is the update version (black one were known to leak)
We have replaced cases on 2 sleds in the past year from cracks, one a 16 Viper and the other a 18 Tcat. Gotta look closely like Yamamarc said.

Try snugging up the bolts on the chain case cover, but don't over do it. Just a double check...they only require 12 ft lbs but imo 10 is plenty. Spray down with parts cleaner real good all along the bottom areas, hopefully it's just the bolts needing a snug.
If still leaking change the gasket to the new orange one and while in there check for cracks etc. like stated above.

What year is sled? Is this something that’s been going on for more then one season?
It’s an 18
Never had an issue. Just started late this summer. Checked the cover over when it was apart in April - looked good. Going to snug up the lower bolts and see if it helps.
MS

I just picked up a new gasket the other day. I noticed they are orange now instead of black. I'm not sure if anything other than the colour has changed. I always had a small weep and would lay a beed of gasket maker in with the gasket and it always sealed up for me.

Did you ever have issues getting the case cover back off?
MS

Thanks
Ms
The oil tank can still leak even with a roll over valve delete.

Try snugging up the bolts on the chain case cover, but don't over do it. Just a double check...they only require 12 ft lbs but imo 10 is plenty. Spray down with parts cleaner real good all along the bottom areas, hopefully it's just the bolts needing a snug.
If still leaking change the gasket to the new orange one and while in there check for cracks etc. like stated above.
Check the fastener torque to 8-9 ft. lbs Max.... The service manual states 14 ft lbs., however that is beyond the fastener torque rating (it will stretch and break most likely at 14 ft lbs.
Ensure the new version case seal (orange) is being used and all surfaces clean and free from any fluid. Especially the fasteners, the underside of pan head bolts and the case surface must be clean and dry or you will get incorrect torque values.... Nothing worst than trying to EZ out a broken bolt from the case.
I would also recommend replace the chaincase cover fasteners as they most likely are stretched already... Cheap and peace of mind....

1.Clean and dry
2.Inspect for abnormalities
3. New case seal (orange)
4. Torque to 8-9 ft lbs

Last edited:

Back