• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Challenger, Crossover or ripsaw???

Abc

Veteran
My 2004 Rx1M will be in need for a new track. Its still on its stock 2" challenger and has over 10 000km and many lugs missing. I ride about 50/50 on and off trail...and want to get some smaller lugs. The Crossover with 1-1/2" seems a good choice but would it be better to buy back a Challenger and cut it down to 1-1/2"? Traction? And witch would last longer? The crossover lug pattern seems less agressive than a cut down Challenger would look like...And theres also the ripsaw at 1-1/4"...but maybe a little bit on the small side.

:dunno: What are your thought on this? Any experience with that Crossover? Or a rx1m with the 1-1/4" Ripsaw? Anyone have cut down a Challenger? :dunno:

Martin

I cant tell you anything about the cutdown Challenger but I have a 159" Crossover on my extended warrior and I can only recommend the Crossover track.

In my opinion this is a much better track than the Ripsaw if you ride 50/50 on/off trail. The Crossover track is between the challenger and ripsaw lugwise.

And when I bought the track I was excited to see how it would affect the hyfax in hardpack with the taller lugs but now after about 500 miles with the crossover my hyfax is still like new. No wear noticeable yet! I credit the fully clipped crossover that.

I´ve gone through 3 sets of hyfax in 3000 miles with the ripsaw so it will be exciting to see how long my hyfax will last with the Crossover.

I highly recommend you to buy the Crossover but you might have to gear up a little or change your drivers to 9 tooth instead of the 8 tooth your propably running now due to the smaller lugs on the Crossover track.

good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Ernie

I cut my challenger down to 1.5 and installed 9 tooth drivers.The cut down track is excellent on the trails.Once you cut off the soft ends of the paddles what remains is very rigid and digs like crazy.Still works decent off trail too.Top end is improved.Track ends up considerably lighter with paddles cut,windows cut out,ported up the middle.I would do it again in a heartbeat.

the worst move would be to cut the track. The Lugs have different durometer all over the height. If you cut down a 2 inch, you will just have the stiff part.

I would go with a 1.5 ripsaw if i were you. 16 inch if it possible.

I go the opposite of you for next season. I will go 162 x 16 or 15 (not decided) x 2.5 lug

i cut down my challenger to 1.5" after about a 1500mi season I lost about 5 lugs and some areas it tore right to the belts inside the track. I bought a 9004C Cross over and have been very happy with it, I put about 1200 miles on this season and have not seen any real wear on the track, I ride in the UP of michigan on and off trail and did not have any issues in deep snow. I would recommend the cross over for u.

I think that I wiil go for the crossover. I thought that if I cut the Challenger It would stop loosing lugs. Seems that they still loose them anyway as Rx1 tom said.

Martin

To clarify my earlier post:The cut down challenger performs well if you are trying to sqeeze a few more miles out of the one you already have.If you are going to buy a new track,definitely buy the crossover.I was interested to see performance with the 1.5 lug hieght before making the 500$ + investment in a new track.I would not buy a new challenger and cut it down.

Fully clipped 9004c here highly recomended ,alot more agressive than you would think and don"t forget to put on ext. driver with it you will need them ,this track hooks up something wicked.....

Back