• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing Track

kylechargerrt

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 YAMAHA SIDEWINDER LTX-LE
1998 MACH-Z
Does anyone plan on replacing the stock track. The Ripsaw II on the ltx are great but thinking something with pre studs to help get a little more power down. Option i believe are between the 1.22 Ice Attack XT or 1.6 Ice Cobra. Thoughts/Opinions, also are tunnel protectors built into the cooler having a hard time determining this.

Good question.....Im gonna guess most guys will want to stud these sleds due to the nature of the beast with big power and most guys who buy these want to put all that power down.

However I have come to love the pre-studded tracks myself....and if you are not drag racing, they are really a great trail track with light weight. And have many good qualities with less worry.

I have been running the ice attak XT 1.22" now for my last two sleds, along with buddies too....we all like them, they wear very well too. My one concern would be how the single ply and prestuds will stand up to BIG top speeds....I dont see an issue but would like to hear what CAMO thinks about these tracks running near 130mph on a flashed turbo.

Dan

Ran the Ice Attak XT on my Viper and it did wear like iron, 5000 Miles later it still looked mint other than the odd cord on the side of the belt showing. While i do like that the XT has a billion of those little studs, a little more lug depth isnt necessarily a bad thing either for if/when i get off the trail. Will probably never run conventional studs again, after roasting my Mach Z triple cause of a thrown stud.

How well does the ice attack hook up on ice cover trail or hard packed road?

On Hard Pack trail, it did pretty well didnt spin much just pulled the skis and went. Not the same as a conventional stud but you do not have the penetration. On Glare Ice probably hooked up better than 96 studs i had on my apex, mostly due to the fact that they go right out to edge of the track. Scratch pattern was actually really good. On the 5000 miles i put on mostly in the Muskoka area i never felt like i need more bite.

I will be putting "ice-ripper'' or "ice-attack" on every sled i ever own for the rest of life!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I had the ice attack on my cat turbo but changed it out last month for the ice cobra. Having ridden both this winter i much prefer the ice cobra. I was concerned with it having less pics-studs but it hooks up much better and where the ice attack would break free on a fast corner the cobra feels sticks. I'm likely ordering an ltx-le and have it installed as part of the yammi cash. $17800 + tax canadian with all the other extras is what I've been quoted fyi

That's what I'm planning to use my yama cash for as well. LTX LE here.

On Hard Pack trail, it did pretty well didnt spin much just pulled the skis and went. Not the same as a conventional stud but you do not have the penetration. On Glare Ice probably hooked up better than 96 studs i had on my apex, mostly due to the fact that they go right out to edge of the track. Scratch pattern was actually really good. On the 5000 miles i put on mostly in the Muskoka area i never felt like i need more bite.
I put the pre studded track ice attack on my wifes GSX 600 etec , and it seems to do a good job , and looks brand new .
But when I got my 2015 Apex XTX , I went with traditional studs , as I didn't think the ice attack could do a good enough job for traction in accelerating / stopping , and handling the weight and power of the Apex .
now with even more power with the Sidewinder ,I am even more convinced that more studs than less are needed .
If the ice cobra 1.6 and the cobra are the same track , how about the ice cobra with 2 traditional studs per section ?
What do you think about that ?
Anybody ever studded an ice attack ?

I was thinking about this as well. I was debating between LTX-LE and XTX LE. Your track options are 1.25 or 1.75 only. Since I like studs, I didn’t figure the 1.75 was a good idea. 1.25 didn't seem long enough though either. So, maybe just getting the LTX-LE and swapping out the track with a little longer lug would be a good idea.

I put the pre studded track ice attack on my wifes GSX 600 etec , and it seems to do a good job , and looks brand new .
But when I got my 2015 Apex XTX , I went with traditional studs , as I didn't think the ice attack could do a good enough job for traction in accelerating / stopping , and handling the weight and power of the Apex .
now with even more power with the Sidewinder ,I am even more convinced that more studs than less are needed .
If the ice cobra 1.6 and the cobra are the same track , how about the ice cobra with 2 traditional studs per section ?
What do you think about that ?
Anybody ever studded an ice attack ?
Studs will be counter-productive on these tracks. It's a waste. The studs will stick down farther making the other studs almost useless

For what's it worth there was a huge difference for me between the original ice attack (hacksaw based) and the ice attack xt (ripsaw 2 based) with the nod going to the XT. It had a substantially better traction both on and off trail

Studs will be counter-productive on these tracks. It's a waste. The studs will stick down farther making the other studs almost useless
If you look at the stud charts for the 1.6 cobra , they are only recommending a, I believe , a 1.625 stud .
Which makes those almost, if not identical to ,the height of the ice Cobra studs .

guys I'm really tried of running studs! But what if I'm running down a hard packed dirt road and I hit the throttle hard what is the likely hood I BLOW OUT THE TRACK vs hook up?

guys I'm really tried of running studs! But what if I'm running down a hard packed dirt road and I hit the throttle hard what is the likely hood I BLOW OUT THE TRACK vs hook up?

I think that with the kind of horsepower this sled is gonna be making its not gonna matter between a pre stud and a 2 stud per bar setup on the hard pack. We're gonna be able to cut the track loose pretty easily.

Back