• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

charging the battery?

07Nytro

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
None right now
my sleds been sitting all summer, i am pretty sure the battery has still held its charge, but if i need to charge it what do I do? i obviously know how to charge a battery but, i have heard from people that you need a special charger to keep this battery in the best working order and get the longest life out of it. is this true? or can i use any charger

Any 12v charger will work, you can jump start from a normal car battery.
You bettery should stillhave a good charge.
Last year I took the battery of and there was not problem. This year I left it in I started it yesterday and it was still stong.
I think they were talking about a trickle charger.
It has a very small power output to charge the battery slowly and effincetly. Miltary HMMWV have them but they are solor panles monted onthe hood.

You want to use a battery charger like an optimate 3. The problem with most car chargers is the minimum amperage is 2 amps. To much amperage will cook your battery. The optimate only puts out about .7 amps if I remember correctly.

mcgnnty said:
You want to use a battery charger like an optimate 3. The problem with most car chargers is the minimum amperage is 2 amps. To much amperage will cook your battery. The optimate only puts out about .7 amps if I remember correctly.

There's nothing wrong with a 2A charger. The only whay you'll cook (or overcharge or boil) a battery is by leaving it on continuously or it doesn't shut itself off, no matter the amperage. The best is a maintainer charger. After it has finished charging, it will maintain the battery at the optimal charge by turing itself on and off when required. I have a Schumacher 2A charger/maintainer designed for motorcycles and it works great.

It's not so much the fact the battery still works come next season, it makes it last longer (years) by maintaining the proper charge during the off season.

I have to agree with the Mooseman, (the best is a maintainer charger). My snowmobile manual says. To charge a sealed-type (MF) battery, a special (constant-voltage) battery charger is required. Using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery. Do not charge the battery quickly. Charge the battery for 10 hour at 1.2 amps. (12volt 12 amp hour battery).

I use the optimate 3 every 6 weeks or so. It takes about 8 hours to top them off. I put it on one sled one day and nother the next day. Highly recommanded...

mcgnnty said:

Very True, THe battery manufacture recomends a slower charge. Optimate 3 works great

At first it looks like a good idea but the problem is that unless you get something in the $100 range, it won't put out enough to even overcome the internal battery losses. A 1W solar charger ($30) puts out 0.0833 amp. All that might do is slow down the internal discharge rate. A 15W charger ($130) gives 1.25 amp but left unchecked, could boil the battery (and the price doesn't make it cost effective).

I'd have to hook one of these up to my ammeter and see what really happens.

Dang I didnt notice they were rated in watts.They do say they have "smart" charging circuitry so shouldnt be any chance of overcharging.Guy could use 2 of the $30 ones for each machine to get enough charge rate.Definitly no guarantees though especially when counting on sunlight.

Even two of them would only produce about 0.16 amp. I would say 0.5 amp is the minimum. The only thing I've seen on the package is that it has a diode to prevent power from draining from the battery to the charger but I don't even believe that. I have one and there is an LED that blinks when there is power, whether it is sunlight OR the battery. The fact that LED is blinking in the dark tells me power is being used to light it. So whatever little charge you got during the day you'll lose at night.

Bummer.I just hate taking battery in and out all summer to start it and warm it up.Probably dont need to.But this summer was so humid it got me worried.I bet more people with 2st will have burndowns if they dont put fresh gas in right away this winter.

Back