• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

checking engine oil

Daranello

Suspended
Why does the motor need to be warm before checking the oil level. Manual says warm up first for 10-15 minutes. I rather check it in my warm garage, will the reading be that off??

I think the oil expands as it warms, but checking it cold is gonna get you close

checking it cold will be wayy off, trust me, best to run the sled 10-15 minutes then check it. I check it when I get back home from a ride.

So a cold reading will give too low??? Or a too high reading????

I just checked my oil in a heated garage and it was a hair over full and suprizeinly black for only 700miles

Warm Oil

There definetly is a difference checking it cold then warm. I checked my oil when it was cold the first morning, it read low, added a little to full. The next morning after a 200+ mile ride I checked again, after I warmed it up. It was a little over filled. I'll always warm it up before I check it now.

It reads low when cold, when the sled has been sitting for a while I think more of the oil leads back to the case of the motor. When the engines been warmed up more of the oil is in the tank. If you wanted to check cold you could do this......check it after a ride so you know the oil level is full on the sled. Check it the following morning to see where it reads on the stick when cold. Then you could mark it or remember it and from now on when you check it cold you know where the level needs to be.

Definately check it when it's hot. It's a dry sump system, when it sits the oil will drain back into the block and give you a false low. If you fill it when it's cold it will be overful by about a 1/2 a quart. Check it when it's hot and within 5 minutes of shutting if off. It's not like a car where the dip stick in sitting in the oil pan.

Dry Sump engines are always checked when the engine is at operating temperature.

I know you guys all know the following. However, somone will read this that does not, so I'll throw it in anyway. Don't forget that when checking the oil, you do NOT screw in the dipstick. You just lower it down to the threads and pull it back out to read it.

Maybe. But at least he is asking questions. That is better than some of the off-the-wall comments we see from time to time. :-o

Back