• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch engaged

yamahopper

I just had the kit put on my clutch to get that annoying rattle out of it and the first time I pulled the sled out of the garage after waxing and cleaning it up the clutch seems to stay engaged. I ran it up and down the field to see if that would do anything but no luck the only way I can get it started is to jack up the rear of the sled so the track is off the ground. Otherwise the sled wants to take off. Any words of wisdom on this one.

Thanks
:yam: :rocks:

yamahopper said:
I just had the kit put on my clutch to get that annoying rattle out of it and the first time I pulled the sled out of the garage after waxing and cleaning it up the clutch seems to stay engaged. I ran it up and down the field to see if that would do anything but no luck the only way I can get it started is to jack up the rear of the sled so the track is off the ground. Otherwise the sled wants to take off. Any words of wisdom on this one.

Thanks
:yam: :rocks:

That sucks. What's your dealer have to say? Are they close?

He is a great guy and does great work but he is a one man show and it is hard to get a hold of him. I just thought someone might have a quick fix that I could try while I was trying to get a hold of him. Don't have enough snow to ride but I want to be ready when it comes.

There must be something about that update that affects the belt deflection, because mine now squeals after the update and it never did that before. The belt rides a little higher in the secondary. If it was any higher than it is it would be tight enough that it would do what yours does...

QCRider said:
There must be something about that update that affects the belt deflection, because mine now squeals after the update and it never did that before. The belt rides a little higher in the secondary. If it was any higher than it is it would be tight enough that it would do what yours does...

Interesting. Mine works as well as it did before but without the clatter. No squeeling or sticking, but now I'm curious to take a look and see if the belt runs higher in the sheaves than it did before.

Funny thing is it worked fine on the trailer when I brought it back from the dealer, it was after I ran the sled in the field and then tried to start it back up and then it would not start with out moving. I assume that it happens after you have ridden it. I will keep trying to call the dealer and post what he tells me.

That sucks, but anytime you do clutch work, you are changing things ever-so-slightly...

So, adjust the belt deflection by adjusting the shim stack on the secondary's (3) rear bolts. Yamaha's service manual explains the process if you are not familiar with it. I recommend that you order some shims first just so you are ready to go.

This is a necessary maintence step as springs fatigue and belts & clutch faces wear. The shims will be handy to have around the shop.

QCRider said:

Well I had the update done as well and after I changed the belt to a new one I got the squeal also. Pretty annoying actually. It's only at low speed but it is worse than the clutch rattle was. Any suggestions?

I noticed on mine, the clutch comes in harded and at a higher RPM. I'm not to sure what the rattle fix is but it acts like it is shimmed up too tight.
Belt height is about the same.

QCRider said:
After the update my belt is just above the sheaves. I know I can adjust it back if I need to, but why would this update cause that?

I'm not sure why it would be different after the update. I'm curious also. It is acceptable for the belt to be slightly above the sheaves but not much. There is a wear adjustment variance of slightly above to slightly below that is shown in the manual. Mine was about flush when I took it in, and it is still in that position.

My belt squeaked before and after the upgrade but that is only at idle. Belt is a little above the sheave but probably within spec. I'll leave it since it will wear down to even with the sheave soon enough.

I'm not thinking this upgrade will last too long. It is already getting a little more noisy just in the little I have rode it.

Belt Noise

My belt squels as well, I just found out about the Bulletins yesterday so i have not done any updates. It started with 60 miles on the sled. It normally is at low speed or when you first stop, and mine will squel for about a minute then stop. My buddy said maybe the belt is to tight but it looks ok, I am taking my sled in for updates this week even though there is snow here and the trails are open in my county, but i would rather have it running correctly than risk something breaking, when i take it in i will have them check the belt as well.

Back