• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Kit or GPS ?

get the weights

I'd say you'll love the performance increase more then the GPS. I have both and I didn't use the GPS all last winter but I couldn't ride my RX-1 with out the Heavy Hitters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends what you want. Performance or a navagation system. Dollar for dollar of fun value, the HH's are the way to go. I can get you HH's for $199.00 plus shipping in US funds. Thanks...BBY

Yes but he has clutch weights and no gps so id pick the gps cause the stock wieghts will work fine as opposed to not having a gps and being lost just once.

My wife gave me the Garmin GPS V for Father's Day so I have a two year old, "mint" condition Garmin 12 XL GPS that I am looking to sell. I have everything that came with it including the box. I belive Garmin now calls the GPS 12 XL simply GPS 12. You could have your cake and eat it too depending on if the 12 XL has the features you want in a GPS. I'm sure it wont have the options of the eMap but at least you would have a GPS. The cheapest place I found GPS's for was at www.gpsnow.com. This is where I, I mean my wife, purchased my GPS from :wink: . Depending on how much you were wanting to spend, you may be able to get the eMap from them and still get he HH. Otherwise, if the GPS 12 will suffice, you could buy mine and still get the HH. I would like to get $75 for it and I would pick up the shipping cost as long as it is in the US. If interested, I can take some digital pics of it and either post here or email you.

Mikey

Mikey: As far as I'm concerened riding the RX-1 stock is like being lost. The Heavy Hitters are such a big improvement over stock it's like night and day.

The GPS is kewl. Look for a used one on ebay. You could get both!!!

jts srx I would have agreed with the clutching but after 3100 miles my sled run faster and quicker stock than when I had heelclickers along with there secondary. I sold them for what I paid for them and could'n't be happier. Best stock set-up I ever had in a sled after an extended break-in.

UPsledder

If you where using the Heel X that might have been your issue. The stock clutch was nothing short of bad. I raced stocks with big milers on them and they where no where to be seen in any distance. The break in thery make little sence to me. I put 25 miles on my sled during a test and tune session. I then swithed over to Dalton Weights,spring and helix. My sled was nothing short of 10 sleds quiker in 500 feet agianst sleds that were killing the stock setup before the switch. How would breaking help the stock clutching.

The stock clutching was so bad Yamaha changed it already!!!!

jtssrx, did you have a bad experience or do you know of an application where the Heel X hinder the performance of the RX-1? Unfortunately, when I decided to the buy an aftermarket clutch kit, I went off the recommendation and feedback from this site. At that time, everyone was raving about the Heelclicker kit. I ended up buying their total kit which included the primary weights and springs as well as the Heel X secondary clutch kit. Because of not being able to install studs in my track last year, I held off on installing the clutch kit. Of course, now everyone is raving about the HH and I am kicking myself in the butt. I've heard that Heelclickers are not a bad clutch kit but just may be harder to dial in. I think it was you that stated you had a HH setup and heelclicker setup that were pratically the same and had good results. I hope I can still get good results with my heelclicker kit but now I am wondering if I should mess with the secondary Heel X kit.

RXwonder, If you lived in the tundra of the Northwest territories or maybe Noname Alaska I'd opt for the GPS for sure. Living where you do I would assume you're pretty damned familar with the trail systems you use and maybe a good map would be sufficient? If you are in to exploring new areas, then maybe the GPS could save your bacon some day?

I have a Garmin E map too. I use it all the time and a couple times in snow storms while boondocking in the mountains it really saved us from trying to double back because we had lost our bearings. If you do get a GPS get one with a moving map for sure. Being able to see there's a road just over the next hill when you're below a quarter tank is worth a lot.

As far a clutch weigths go. I used the stock weights and didn't think they were so bad. I have tested for Dalton and tried a variety of his weights. I have the Heavy Hitters loaded up to test next season as well. Honestly the weigths I like the best so far are (I know here he goes again) is the Yamaha 8DN-00. They are available for $24 each at 1-800-598-5700. Talk to Dave. For less than $75 you could change your sled unbelievably and still have the money for a GPS of your choice.

You will have to load the weights up to make them work but the 8DN weight profile is what Dalton industries used as a profile for their weight. I like their weights too but I think the RX-1 like a lot of tip weight and the 8DN-00 has it in spades. Also the 89A weight is said to wonderful by some as well. HOPEFULLY, I'll have a set of those to test too this winter.

One other thing as long as I'm rambling (actually two). The first one is; if you do get a Garmin GPS get the computer program from them that allows you to save and print maps of the places you have been, along with all the waypoints you have saved. I think it's called "Mapsource" and it has great topographical maps built into it. You can zoom in and out as you please to get the desired information you are searching for.

I promise, the last thing is helix. You MAY want a helix to go with any clutch weights. For your application I think the Dalton 54R42 (stepped)was the ticket. If you have a long track with the traction get a 54Y/42 (progressive). You also could have your stock helix cut to your own specs for even less money. Sorry for rambling. Powder Blue

RobX-1

RobX-1: The heel X is fine however I'm a strong believer in a button clutch. I used the heel x and heel clickers and had MPh issue with my 01 SRX. With the Heavy hitters and a button clutch I had just the oppisite no MPH issues. You can make both work but the Heel clickers will be harder to dial in. Look for a setup for the clickers from Turk.

From my research since Day 1 the HH's or Dalton's are the way to go. I will probably look at the clutching and possibly an Expert-X for this season. I might hold off on the GPS. Not bad huh? 3 weeks ago I was getting out of the sport altogether and now I already have $2000 spent on new stuff! :p This sport may mean the end of my marriage but hey...that'll just give me more time to sled 8)

You guys are right...I know our trail system very well. I may not need a GPS as much as I think. I will focus on my ride first.

jtssrx, this may be a stupid question but what do you mean by a button clutch?

Not a stupid question.

Your stock clutch is a button clutch. The helix rotates on plastic buttons

the Heel X is a roller clutch. A cover with rollers built into it rollers up and down the ramps of the helix instead.

Back