• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

clutch rattle ???

Yup mine is well broke in now. Clutch noise is almost as loud as exhaust at idle. I guess its just something to get used to again. Was nice when new didnt really hear it though.

To me it is the same amount of noise as the Nytro and same as my wife's Vector. To take away noise change to cat clutches. Or keep Yamaha clutches and original belt. Just drive faster so you don't hear the noise. :moon:

The clutch noise is probably due to the fact that Yamaha did not put in the little Allen head screw that holds the pin that holds the rollers. Boys are getting cheap in Japan.

yox185 said:
Anyone know if the Cats rattle with their clutch?

Mine does it some what, although not nearly as loud as my Nytro did. But then I don't have as many miles on my XF as I did on the Nytro either.
The noise is actually from the clearance in the splines between the PTO shaft and the end of the crankshaft. It just gets amplified though the clutch and is normal for this engine.

The Cat clutch is set up a little different then the Yamaha primary. On the Cat primary the flyweight is fixed to the through bolt with a set screw. Then the bushings are in the moveable sheeve which effectively doubles the bushing area. Also when the moveable sheeve is at rest, it sets against the weights so you can't wiggle them like you can with a Yamaha clutch.

Whether any of this is effective with reducing the clutch rattle I guess time will tell!

This past fall ,i took off my clutch and removed the stub shaft and cleaned up and JB welded it ,reassy and let it dry for a couple weeks before i ran it, Engine was so quite for 200 miles then epoxy let loose, but man did that engine sound nice at idle , was like driving a totally differnt sled when i was putting around through the trees or slow speed driving. wish it would have lasted :jump:

Back