• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

hard rattle on cold start

crazycanuck

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Apex 40th
Hi all, tried searching the interwebs for answers to this but can't get the query right. I'm sure this isn't a new question, so apologizes for asking again. This is my first Yamaha and my second year of sledding, so still ramping up in general.

When I cold-start my Apex 2008 40th below about -15C, I get a hard 'rattle' coming from the 'top' of the engine. I can't tell if something is actually rattling or if it is the engine itself. It is loud. Lasts ~15s and then goes away. If it is warmer, no rattle at all.

Should I just leave it or is there something to check? Sled is in getting a new battery (also a cold start issue), yamahaheater installed, and studded. So easy to ask the mechanic to check it out.

Also, ty4 this most excellent source of info. See what I did there? ;) So much knowledge accumulated here.

It is normal, you should here it at -39, sounds like a diesel. Yes you need a good battery for very cold starts.

normal. takes time for oil to get up there at lower temps.

Back