• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

communicators

dexter

TY 4 Stroke Master
What communicators are you guys using? I am looking to get a set for the wife and I and wondered what I should be considering. I have a modular helmet and also wondered if that mattered. thanks

When you order these, they are specific to full face or MX style.

I have the colletts are the way to go, per these forums anyway.

For sure, make sure you have the TY channel. lmao....

i have had collett and chatterbox. the multisport were good! the collett's , i thought, were garbage. as a matter of fact they are for sale. we switched to the chatterbox x-1 last year and they are the bomb! anyone who says they are garbage has never tried them. if i wasn't laid off from work right now i would give the collett's away! but i might try to make some money off of them on ebay.

Our group has 7 or 8 of the Collets Platinum 900s. For the most part they've been good. The biggest issue we've had is the short whip from the unit that connects to the battery. Of course it has some sort of special connector that you can't just replace yourself. I think I’ve gone through 3 of them; everyone else in our group has gone through at least one. A few of us had other issues with them suddenly only receiving, not transmitting, which is better than nothing but still aggravating. You become very dependent on them so when they don't work it's very frustrating. You’re not going to carry on a conversation, but warning of sleds coming, or and sharp corner, big dips, or kickers, etc. I’ve had the Chatter Box units but it was back in 96-98 so I won’t even comment on those. Given the environment they’re exposed to I have to say overall they’ve done well. There is a learning curve to setup and adjustment but I am overall happy and would hate to be without them.

I will say that they have covered all of our issues with no questions asked and have claimed to change the cable (it is longer) so there C.S. is very good. The only problem is that they are in Canada and for us U.S. guys that adds a few days to shipping (ground only) so if it goes out during the season, well, you may not get it back till the end. Service is on a first come first serve and it may take a while. If you wear thick gloves, it will be difficult to adjust the knobs for V.O.X. I would recommend starting with thin gloves just to get it set then you should be o.k. Overall I would say if you go with the Collet, get two or three extra battery cables, also get two or three antennas’s as they are vulnerable as well. Mine has survived but several have been sacrificed to the pickers (off trail incidents).

Shadetree powersports has a really good deal on last years collett 900 platinums. These are the ones we use and they work great. I think they are $129 until the end of Sept. and then go up slightly in OCT.

I have the Collet snophone A little less expensive model, but the same range and battery as the 900 just no creature comforts. My wife and I would not be without them. I have no problem carrying a normal conversation just like talking on a cell phone as far as I'm concerned. Only down side I think is the the battery cord like mentioned before and the range is not that great maybe a 500 yards for good clarity unless it real wide open. But my wife rides real well so we don't get to spread out, but if your group gets spread out might not be that great. I know they claim 2 miles but I haven't been even close to that maybe others have had better. I still wouldn't ride without them regardless

I have the snowphone as well and think they are great. Yeah your not going to cary on a conversation but as its been said you can tell you buddies about big bumps or washouts or whatever. ;)!

Collett Platinum 900's here as well. Our group of 15 has only had issues with the power cord jumper. G.B.

Love them or hate them

I have the Collets sno-phone and think they are great. Have had the power cord issue...they mailed me new ones. I have 5 units and 2 went bad the transmit quit. Sent them in and they fixed them and sent them back. All work now. When you are without them is when you know how well they work. They are best at slower speeds and a stop signs. But they will work for the "BUMP" warning... but not for the guy that hit the G- out :o|

Some tips: The mic must be almost touching your lips...The speakers must be in line with your ears...And talk as clear as you can.

They do take some getting use to.

Dave

Simple commands is the best way I've found to use them. Words like "oncoming" "Slowdown" "All Clear" and my favorite "Gotta Pee". Our group usually finds it difficult to have a conversation with them. Groomer beacon is handy but can be annoying for about a mile. I have buddy's who just won't buy them and think they're stupid. Our couples weekends everyone uses them and loves them. Different strokes I guess.

Like everyone above there is a learning curve. But it only takes a little while to figure out how to keep it simple. I've never had a problem with power cords or anything with mine. I own 3 of them and have been using them for at least 5 seasons.

Our group all use the Platinum 900's by Collett and have had great success with these. The biggest reason to use these is "Safety". They have proven themselves many times over for us. We will not ride without them and encourage new people who ride with us to try them. Once they do, they have no problem spending the money on them.

As others have mentioned, there are a few things you must do. Educate the new users on how the voice activation works, position the mic directly in front of your lips and on a horizontal plane, adjust the sensitivity to the correct level and you should be good to go.

will they work on modular helmets as well? can I swap them to a third helmet or is a set only good for 2 helmets? sounds like the colletts are the way to go...

The only thing you'll want to get are extra head phones. Because the plug seals the unit from snow you have to use theres. Other than that unless you have a BVS your all set.

Back