• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Considering A New Sled For My Wife

Blue 4's Rule

Expert
Well I figured I'd ask some of the most knowledgeable sled heads out there for their opinions! I realize this has been asked before but just let me say that I can't find the answers I'm looking for when I do a search. She's currently driving an '08 Polaris IQ Cruiser Turbo 2up. It has been a good sled she just doesn't like the feel of it(never has) and she wants to get away from what she calls the "Grandma" look. No offense to you older ladies out there who ride these and enjoy them. There is definitely no more practical sled out there than a 2up touring. Sleek, fast and you can nearly carry the equivalent of a cargo barge! With that said, she finds the sled immensely heavy(it wet weighs in @ 730-740lbs) and I can definitely feel it when I'm on it too. She took my XTX for a ride across the meadow the other day when we were out(she grabbed it when I wasn't looking) and she said she absolutely loved how it performed, the seating posture, the view she had, etc., etc....! I wasn't sure if I was gonna get it back! Anyway, I was wondering which would be the most suitable ride for someone like her? She's not a big girl at all and is not a freestyle type rider of any sort(I mean jumping or fast ditch banging) but she said she felt really comfortable on my Nytro. We're debating to either get a Nytro, Phazer or perhaps even a Vector! I realize the Vector is somewhat heavier than the Nytro or Phazer but it is nowhere near as heavy as her current machine! I would however like to wait until they make that Vector EFI before purchasing something like that! The Phazer is a nice size for her and would have enough power to keep up with us for the way we ride, trails or not! Like I've said already, she loved my Nytro and has already been on the ArcticFX website picking out graphics for all of these! Sheesh, one step at a time woman!! Sorry about the long winded question but I wanted to give as much backround as I could. I look forward to hearing from you guys, as does she. Thx in advance.

Sorry, I just realized after I started this thread that I was in the Nytro section!! Could I please get a mod to move it to the General Yamaha discussion section! Thx, it'll prolly get more traffic there.

Blue 4's Rule,

I put my wife on a 2008 Vector LTX this year after riding a 2003 F5. At first she wasn't open to change but after we made the decision she couldn't be happier. She only wished it was EFI but I bet that will be coming soon and better hand warmers. She is also a small girl 5'4" about 120lbs wet. Many people tried to tell us that the 120" skid would be better for her but I think we proved them wrong. She really likes how it bridges the bumps much better than the F5 and she handles it just fine in the corners. She has ridden my XTX but prefers the Vector to her style of riding and the Vector is no pooch, Top end is probably the same or close to the XTX but not quite as quick.

Thx for your reply Wis Sledder! You actually answered one of my other questions on skid length that I had forgot to ask! I myself always prefer the longer skid, just what feels best for me! Your wife is pretty much the same size as mine so that's a good comparison. Thx again.

Hey Blue, I know the areas you ride in quite well, as for a woman's sled well I had that big discussion this year with my wife. haha. Basicly heres the deal with my wife. I got her into sledding last year. she was reluctant. but she rode once with me on my apex and said never again #$%&* will I ride with you. hahahaha So I took a different approach, I asked a good buddy of mine we can use his 07 phazer GT. so we had that sled for 3 days, well after 3 days my wife fell in love with sledding but after 3 days of riding the phazer she didnt like the way it felt, and it didnt have enough power, plus when we went off trail she was to the handle bars the whole time. Now my wife is about 100 lbs soaking wet, she does equestrian horse jumping and is very fit. so she can handle herself well. I got her full FXR gear head to toe so she is warm, and comfortable.

So now she wanted her old sled. but she didnt want something like the phazer that didnt have much power. She drove my apex and said it was to much and she didnt like it. SO I found her an 05 vector ER. put simmons skis on it the first day we got it. she put 1500 miles on in febuary last year. I couldnt get her off of it. but she found it heavy, she loved the power, but she had a hard time controlling it, and then off trail is sank like a stone for her. but the fuel economy was insane. I have never seen a sled get that good of fuel milage. plus you turned the key, it started ran great. plus it had a high windshield so she was warm.

So this year in November she wanted a new one. and we talked about what she wanted. basicly she wanted the power of a vector, the riding position of a phazer. So Nytro it is. in early December we picked up a bran new 08 from the dealer in Swift current ( best dealer around in my mind and I will buy from him and no one else) I have been gone working in Dubai since December and my riding season wont start till the end of this month. but my wife on her own has put about 500 miles on the nytro this year already, she has done all her own suspension tuning and checks to the sled. first thing we did was put simmons skis on it. haha well the first thing we did was paint it lexus pearl white cause when I drove it into the garage after unloading it off the truck I knocked it into the back of my apex back bumper and cracked the hood :o| :o| :o| :o| , ya I wasnt propular that night. but we painted it. second thing we did was get a high windshield with side deflectors, third we put the yamaha elephant ears on the hand guards. all in the name to keep her warm.

So if your looking to upgrade the sled for you wife, I would recomend the nytro, has more get up and go then the phazer and not the wieght of the vector. I would recomend getting your wife a nytro but not the RTX, I think it might be abit to rough. we opted to go with a ER model. and im pretty sure there is still a few 08's left over around saskatchwean and manitoba for 10 grand.

hope this helps, I know we spent 2 weeks talking about it for my wife. haha hopefully now she will let me build a custom modded up nytro turbo for myself this summer haha.

DeanO

I bought my wife the XTX and she loves it. She is tiny as well, 5' 2", 115lbs. She rode a Ski Doo 600 GSX limited last year. She was OK with it, but wanted a longer track for off trail riding. She loves going off trail into the deeper snow. She has been on my Apex, but perfers the XTX. She loves the feel of the sled, whether sitting or standing. On the trail, it floats over the bumps. I too, love riding it. We were in the UP of MI two weeks ago and came across two other ladies riding their new XTX's and loving them as well. I added the larger windshield and side deflectors for her and she has no issues with being cold. It's really tough for me to get any riding time on her sled, she won't give it up!!!!!

Thx for the great replies DeanO and ApexLTXGT! These are the true to life comparisons that I'm looking for!! The Nytro would definitely be my choice but I guess you could say I'm a little biased!! :tg: Have never liked a sled even close to as much as I like this one! Love it!! Like I said, she was on the ArcticFX website and came across this!! Now her gears are turning! Keep em comin guys!

Attachments

• Pink Nytro.jpg
    Pink Nytro.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 149
haha I emailed my wife that pic of the pink nytro, she said its "cute" . She is in the process of designing a graphics package for her nytro. So its suppost to be a surpise when I get home. She hasnt told me what she has come up with. haha.

I've been trying to convince my wife to ride my nytro so I can get a new sled in a few years. She HATES it. She doesn't lean in the corners too much, & she thinks it "feels" tippy. It's cold, & it's too torquey/jerky on engagement.

So - last night I sold her SXR700 & I'm gonna replace it with an 06 600 gade X with only 645 miles on it!!

Not sure if the gade is more for me or her yet, but when the 2 of us go out, she'll ride the gade & I'll be stuck riding the nytro - if I ever get my parts!!!

that's right, I said stuck riding the nytro.

honestly I dont know what her design is yet, its suppost to be a surprise when I get home. and knowing her, cause she picked out the lexus pearl white. I have a feeling its going to be pretty wild. I know I have to die the seat black when I get home. as far as im told. She is handling the whole project. so after Jan 23rd I will know what she has done haha. I will try and get some pics of it when I get home.

haha thanks on orange apex, had to make things match when rolling down the highway.

U bet man, that setup looks good! I would like to see some pics of her project when you get back!!

As for BLUEBALLER, for me(and her) it's definitely gonna be a 4 stroke and for that you need to look no further than the Yammi!! Not interested in the 1200 4tec from Skud!! You definitely found a pretty decent sled though and with really low miles to boot!

Blue 4's Rule said:
U bet man, that setup looks good! I would like to see some pics of her project when you get back!!

As for BLUEBALLER, for me(and her) it's definitely gonna be a 4 stroke and for that you need to look no further than the Yammi!! Not interested in the 1200 4tec from Skud!! You definitely found a pretty decent sled though and with really low miles to boot!

I am Yammy through n through, well, I was till this last weekend. They ALL have issues. Yamy is no exception. I was all set to buy her an 08 vector in the spring, but because my sled is out of commision for a few weeks, I didn't want to be stuck riding the ol sxr. hence, my new purchase.

gonna try doo out. never owned one, should be interesting. Still keeping the nytro till warranty runs out, which is hopefully soon. kidding

Back