• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Could I have a failing EXUP servo?

mattison

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 RS Vector, 2011 Apex SE, 2016 Apex LE
After getting my sled ready for the season (2016 Apex LE), oil change, grease, snowtrackers, heated seat...started sled and no problem. In December we got about 8" of snow, so, I wanted to ride around the yard and noticed the check engine light with code 17 flashing. After watching the video on how to adjust the Exup cables, I pulled the sled apart to check and adjust cables. Before reassembly I cycled the servo and checked alignment with the drill bit several times to be sure I had set it correctly. Reassembled and good to go. No check engine light...that is until a week later when I went to move the sled into the trailer. So back into the garage and open everything back up again. This time I noticed the Exup valve rotated to the far left. I went to the diagnostic mode to cycle the servo. I could hear something happening, but, the valve just vibrated slightly back and forth. On the second attempt to cycle it, it moved as it should (rotate left, then to right, key off, key on, rotate to center). Again I checked cables for tension turn Exup to the right and left with the key off to verify that it would return to centered with the alignment notch. then ran through the diagnostics again several times to confirm adjustment. Ok, back together again. Started the sled and good to go...so I thought. Today check engine came on again, code 17. I haven't even had the chance to ride yet this year (of course there's no snow either). Before taking things apart again, I went into diagnostics to cycle the servo again and I was getting a readout of 0 up to 5 then to 0 again. I cycled it a second time and the reading was 199 to 0, then I cycled again and the same 199 to 0. I turn key off then started sled again with no check engine light.

So, is there a way to test the servo motor to see if it failing, or do I just need to replace it to verify it's function?

Sounds like the servo could be going out. Sorry but I have not seen this and not sure how you could test for a erratic servo motor. It may should same lead tests until it fails.

I'll probably do the delete. Seems cheap enough.
Thanks for the replies

I'll probably do the delete. Seems cheap enough.
Thanks for the replies

If you have a bad servo motor, the delete will not stop code 17 from popping up. Been there, done that. I pulled my EXUP valve out and used a block off plate when the cables broke. Still had an intermittent Code 17 from time to time. I rode it for 2 seasons like that and it got to the point where it pretty much stayed on all the time. I bought an "EXUP Eliminator" thing where you take out the servo and plug in this little thing so the sled thinks the servo is there and working. It was like $50 on Amazon.

This is what I bought from amazon from 12oclockLabs
GetAttachmentThumbnail

That's what I was thinking too. There is a servo delete module on EBay too (same price). I'm going to disconnect the cables first to see if I can get the code to return then take it from there.

Update. I replaced the servo motor with a used one from an '08 Yamaha bike since the part numbers were the same. Cost me $25 from EBay. So far so good.

Back