• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Curve skis - Tried different carbides

The mountain skis didnt handle the best with the stock carbide, I use cobra heads made by qualipieces and they are awesome now. They track like dual runners but since its a single runner you dont have the issues like drag and push that come with duals. They float my xtx excellent, wayyyy more than the curves thats for sure but thats understandable as the curves arent mountain skis. The problem I have with the curves is the push and then they grab and almost flip you over, they dart like nothing I have ever seen before. Its not a setup issue, I have gone from one extreme to the other and everything in between and its done nothing but effect ride and handling with no improvement to the skis. They are now suggesting to toe out 1/2 -5/8 inch per ski, tried that.....barely helped the darting and push was terrible. Anyone who knows anything about skis knows that the more toe out you have the less responsive your steering is. For all those who love their curves then good for you. I would love to like them as they are a nice looking ski but $530 shipped to my door plus another 60 for different carbides and I have $600 invested in something that I cant use for more than 50 miles without getting sooo pissed I want to take them off the sled and snap them both in half. Its a lot of money to spend to get something that does nothing its advertised to do. Those who are still "tuning" there curves in.......good luck to you! I'll enjoy my winter riding my excellent handling xtx with mountain skis.

justin, glad to hear you had good luck with the qualie pieces, i have a set to remake to fit on a set of slydog skis.

how wide are the mountain skis?? the powder hounds I have are 7in i think but very long and flat. I have never had the opertunity to try or even look at the mountain skis yet. If your riding down to the houlton area, I would love to meet up with your for even a small ride to try them out ont that sled. the dealer here is trying some skis i have and different carbides etc with their demo xtx. let me know if your coming down and I'll borrow it to see what the side by side diffence is. Would love to compare.

every dealer can call the company and buy direct, they do not sell to anyone but a new sled dealer, they do not make any carbides that fit any skis other than stock. The dealer needs to go through the company to get them. any dealer can order any other brands carbides as well.

If you want them for aftermarket skis, you will need to do some cutting. they will not now or ever make carbides for aftermarket skis. their words, not mine.
Ill post my findings the end of the week.

BETHEVIPER said:
justin, glad to hear you had good luck with the qualie pieces, i have a set to remake to fit on a set of slydog skis.

how wide are the mountain skis?? the powder hounds I have are 7in i think but very long and flat. I have never had the opertunity to try or even look at the mountain skis yet. If your riding down to the houlton area, I would love to meet up with your for even a small ride to try them out ont that sled. the dealer here is trying some skis i have and different carbides etc with their demo xtx. let me know if your coming down and I'll borrow it to see what the side by side diffence is. Would love to compare.

The mountain skis are 7 inches as well, we might be heading that way in a few weeks so if I do I'll let you know and we could meet up so you could try it. They work very well and am very satisfied with them. They appear to be wearing very well so I think 2 winters will be do able with them. If not, not a big deal. They are simply bolt on and go.

Yep, brought a thread back from the dead. :tg:

For those that have not done a lot of experimenting, the Nytro specific carbides don't handle well on ice or extremely hardpacked surfaces. They push really bad a low speeds when you are on the throttle. My sled is studded and the Nytro specific carbides act like worn out skags. I've tried both the Nytro specific rounds and shaper bar and I'm not going to run either one. I've also experienced scary darting on a graded ice road at speed with the Nytro specific bars. My limiters are sucked in 2 or 3 at the front and 1 in the back.

How have the standard 4" carbides worked out?

AKrider said:
Yep, brought a thread back from the dead. :tg:

For those that have not done a lot of experimenting, the Nytro specific carbides don't handle well on ice or extremely hardpacked surfaces. They push really bad a low speeds when you are on the throttle. My sled is studded and the Nytro specific carbides act like worn out skags. I've tried both the Nytro specific rounds and shaper bar and I'm not going to run either one. I've also experienced scary darting on a graded ice road at speed with the Nytro specific bars. My limiters are sucked in 2 or 3 at the front and 1 in the back.

How have the standard 4" carbides worked out?

I installed 6" round bars on my XTX. Am I going to have the same pushing issues? Are you pushing because lack of ski pressure on the throttle?

Hard to say since the XTX uses a different rear skid and I'm not sure if you are studded? The 121 Nytro transfers almost to well and it's been a challenge to figure out the proper amount of transfer, ski pressure, etc. Over time, I've not had consistently good results with the Nytro specific bars.

This season was interesting since I rode my Nytro with last season's set up and was able to look at it with a new set of eyes. I'm basically starting off this season at square one since I've never been completely happy with the handling of my Nytro.

should I think twice about ordering Curves for my sled?

my stock yammie skiis plow under a little snow right now and i hate it.
I ride strictly trail but considering all the conditions we get on the trail system I dont want to be dissapointed.
I want to be able to put this sled through the paces and not have to worry about darting and other things like pushing through an icey corner!
How hard can it be? Is there a solution or wait it out for more testing.
thanks guys.

I don't think so. Since you ride strictly on trails than your going to benefit the most from the strong points of the Curves. I'm pretty certain the stock XTX skis are the 5" wide models that come stock on the short track Nytros. Those skis suck for any type of deep or unpacked snow because, just like you noticed, they sink rather than float and make the sled feel heavy and unmanageable off trail. The Curves will float better than the stock 5" wide skis.

The Curves turn really well. The carbides are the issue and the Nytro specific carbides don't work very good IMO. I'm going to try a set of round, standard carbides with my Curves in the next couple weeks and I'll post how they work.

dont waste your time...
one variable most arent considering....with the on and off transfer of this sled...and with it carrying more weight over the skis than even the apex (due to rider even more forward) theres varying pressure over the skis...less front spring pressure and/or a slightly stiffer front rear shock spring setting along with a sweet spot in transfer might help...
if you want some float and a consitent ski...go simmons...or maybe the c&a xtx's...

if you want to stay on trail and dont want to spend a lot call bergstroms and have him set you up...

The only way I got the Curves to work was to sell the Nytro & put them on a Rev!!!!

LOL

When will you guys ever learn! ;):D

D#mn! I just bought a set of Curves for my 09 XTX. My buddy ran them on his RX1 last year and really liked them, so I figured I would give them a try. I have been running Slydog Powderhounds with 6" shaper bars for 2500 mi last winter. They worked pretty well, with minimal darting, but they did tend to push a little in the corners... hence my interest in the Curves.... now I read this. I haven't installed them on the sled yet... in fact, haven't even taken them out of the box... maybe I should just return them? Tough call.

I too had a set of curves for my RX1 and liked them. I took them off and am going to put them on my XTX. The company seems good to work with. I also ordered some of thier new leading edges--i believe these will cover the front of the skeg

I tried the Nytro specific carbides with the Curves and hated them. I now run 10" C&A Pro Skis Magnum Carbides Ultra III with 1/4" shim under the rear rubber - never been happier for aggressive trail riding.

Back