• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cutting tunnel to install cooler?

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
The project sled I just picked up has the boondockers turbo kit on it, which deletes the radiator. The PO tossed an extra cooler on it above the tunnel opening, but its just sitting over the hole with a rats nest of leaky connections. I plan to make some custom metal piping to deal with the rats nest and leaks, but in order to actually install the cooler, I would need to cut into the tunnel reinforcement where the seat frame bolts to.

I am a little uncomfortable doing so to be honest. How much support does that piece really provide? It should be fine to cut into it, right? I mean the cooler is stronger than just some thin metal?

exchanger.png

How about just drilling the holes for the bungs and riveting the cooler to the underside of the tunnel? Should flush up fine and then you only have the structural issues from the holes.

hmm..

That is an interesting idea. IDK why, but I never really even thought of that. Going from below eliminates the concern of cutting into that piece, but it does cause more clearance issues, the cooler would be that much further down into the tunnel, plus it would be so much easier to do from the top.

Is cutting into that piece really that big of a deal?

No clue. Every sled I've had with a cooler added had them in the tunnel from the bottom. You don't have to worry about the exhaust anymore since it's now dumbed in the tunnel by the bulkhead so clearance shouldn't be an issue since the cooler is thinner than the exhaust pipes were.

I just noticed your comment about drilling holes for the bungs. That wouldnt be needed as there is already the stock hole under there:

holeInTunnel.png

Ha. I just noticed its you again! Where in Central MN are you? I owe ya a beverage of your choosing sometime!

Looks easy enough to just slip it in and drill the rivet holes. Plus it would cover the hole and you don't have to cut anything.

No clue. Every sled I've had with a cooler added had them in the tunnel from the bottom. You don't have to worry about the exhaust anymore since it's now dumbed in the tunnel by the bulkhead so clearance shouldn't be an issue since the cooler is thinner than the exhaust pipes were.

But... Its a phazer, not a nytro? The exhaust never went into the tunnel on the phazers?

Looking good!! It sure would be nice if there were an easier way to plumb those fittings, like some kind of rotating connector or something.

I dont have the equipment (or the skill), but my buddy is a TIG welder. We are going to get some tubing and make custom piping.

Well I'm sure that will help cool things much better, the new cooler looks significantly larger than the previous one. I was thinking that if you did remove the tunnel to have it powdercoated, it would also be a good time to install some aftermarket running boards, refresh the skid, repack/replace any drivetrain bearings, etc. Of course, it's easy to have it turn into an endless project when you start thinking like that...don't ask me how I know! :)

Ha! Great (or maybe damaged) minds think alike!

I ordered the MountainTech boards last week. I havent removed the tunnel yet because I asked them about it and they said to leave the tunnel installed in order to mount them. My plan is to go through the whole skid while I wait for the tunnel to be powdercoated.

Back