• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Phazer MTX Turbo Project Log

Between you and @NOS-PRO saying it should be fine, I feel a little better.

I actually have 3 secondaries. One from this machine, one from the 08, and then that SRX one. The 08 circlip looks bad, one of the ends wasn't cliped into place. I ended up taking it off to pull the spring to see if I could use it in the SRX secondary. The primary that is on there now appears to have a clutch kit in it. The weights look like supertips, and the spring isnt stock. I ordered another clutch kit from Thunder Products to toss in the other primary as I do not have any of the weights to adjust the supertips kit. Seriously, Lonn at Thunder Products is one hell of a guy. He went out of his way to do a bunch of research before sending me a kit.

I am so glad the place we rented out there has a 3000 sqft heated shop that we have full access to (including tools). I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time in it!

Welp, all 8 sleds are loaded into our two trailers. My Viper and Phazer are the only Yami's in the group. We have 4 Ski Doo and 3 Polaris sleds for the core of us that ride. As you can imagine, the fat jokes directed at my sled(s) never end with this group.

sleds1.jpg

sled2.jpg

After I got home from loading everything up I installed the new Thunder clutch kit into my extra primary and started packing up spare parts in a tote to bring with since there is room in the trailer afterall. Thats when I saw @cannondale27 and @Mooseman reply to my other post about the circlip, saying it does HAVE to be replaced, and now anxiety level is peaking again.

I am going to try and see if I cant find one in some way, even if I have to have it shipped to the VRBO place we are staying at and skip a day of riding or two if need be. I have enough other stuff to worry about considering my mapping is just a shot in the dark with one hand tied behind my back, I literally tore this thing down just about as far as you can without being able to really test it out before all our snow evaporated, and I still need to pack my tail bag, handlebar bag, riding gear, and clothes.

Welp, all 8 sleds are loaded into our two trailers. My Viper and Phazer are the only Yami's in the group. We have 4 Ski Doo and 3 Polaris sleds for the core of us that ride. As you can imagine, the fat jokes directed at my sled(s) never end with this group.

View attachment 139461

View attachment 139460

After I got home from loading everything up I installed the new Thunder clutch kit into my extra primary and started packing up spare parts in a tote to bring with since there is room in the trailer afterall. Thats when I saw @cannondale27 and @Mooseman reply to my other post about the circlip, saying it does HAVE to be replaced, and now anxiety level is peaking again.

I am going to try and see if I cant find one in some way, even if I have to have it shipped to the VRBO place we are staying at and skip a day of riding or two if need be. I have enough other stuff to worry about considering my mapping is just a shot in the dark with one hand tied behind my back, I literally tore this thing down just about as far as you can without being able to really test it out before all our snow evaporated, and I still need to pack my tail bag, handlebar bag, riding gear, and clothes.
The odds are in your favor with clip. Just ride!

Spent almost the entire trip watching the crew leave and staying back chasing coolant and oil leaks. Today is our last day here. I got a full day of off trail riding.

Vid from the other day of trail riding hitting a herd of elk:

Meh. It wasnt so bad. I was expecting to spend some time in the garage. I was able to ride 3 days, and it was a blast when I was able to get out.

Glad we rented the place we did. Heated 3000 sqft shop with full access to all tools and an apartment above. The owner is one of the coolest guys we have ever met

I have a lot of tuning to do. I contacted every tuner Dynojet lists on their site near me and all of them said the same thing; I am pretty much on my own, and I need to turn on the autotune/datalogging and go out and tune it myself. I contacted @Srxspec to see if hauling this thing over to South Dakota to get tuned is something I can afford to do, and could even be done before our trip. At this point I assume that is just too short of a timeframe and out of my dwindling budget.

In the meantime, I made some forward progress. If I am going to be stuck with trying to do the tuning myself, I need to get the machine movable. The clutches it came with were horribly dirty, It took hours and hours of scrubbing and 5 cans of brake cleaner to get them tolerable. I have a new Gates CF belt, as well as a brand new OEM belt for a back up, that I need to wash before I can install one of them

View attachment 139185

View attachment 139184

View attachment 139183

I ended up picking up a Nytro tail light months ago because once I removed the taillight from the shroud, I saw it was cracked. The Nytro tail light came with the trim ring, which worked out perfect to mount it to the rear of the tunnel. I plan to run the wires in the tunnel in some conduit and pop up under the seat.

View attachment 139182

View attachment 139181

A friend stopped over the other night and we make a quick disconnect seat with some 1/4" x 1.75" pins. This will allow me easy access to the PCV usb that I ran back near the fuel pump, which I intend to throw a USB cover over. The orange string is just a test to see what options we had for keeping the pins from being lost. I ordered up some 1/8" stainless cable, crimps, and a crimping tool to make some permanent keepers

View attachment 139179

View attachment 139180

I was going to cut the plastic over the tank to mount the Hallman Pro (ceramic ball) MBC. My buddy had a better idea. We installed it under the POD. Also pictured is a cheap Powermadd handlebar bag I picked up a while back. I am waiting on vacuum lines that I ordered before I can finish the connections.

View attachment 139178

View attachment 139177

Since I cant wrap up the boost controller until the vacuum line arrives tomorrow, I aligned the skis, greased the skid, and then was actually able to move on from my "to-do" list, to my "nice-to-haves" list. I mounted the headlight flares/wind deflectors I ordered a long time ago. Not only are these things actually functional, they really give the Phazer a much more aggressive look IMHO.

View attachment 139176

Why not get the new style clutch from a 95 or 96 Vmax 5 or 600? It will fit on that longer shaft, way better clutch, etc

Where did you get the headlight flares/wind deflectors?

The GTs have them. They are part numbers 8GK-775621-00-00 and 8GK-77562-00-00

Why not get the new style clutch from a 95 or 96 Vmax 5 or 600? It will fit on that longer shaft, way better clutch, etc

I already have that other clutch, that has been machined to fit, I just didnt know what spring or spring position to use, or if the helix would work.

The GTs have them. They are part numbers 8GK-775621-00-00 and 8GK-77562-00-00

I already have that other clutch, that has been machined to fit, I just didnt know what spring or spring position to use, or if the helix would work.
I didn't see it in any of the pics. A clutch off a 95 or 96 wouldn't have required any machining.

Awesome project. Actually working on one for my daughters right now. Minus the turbo....she’s 11. Lol.

Last edited:
Is the black plastic OE for that year? I want to change the plastic from silver to black. I asked at the parts counter about the correct part number for the black plastic. I got the blank look and "I don't have any way to figure it out".

The black side plastics came stock on my 09 phazer rtx.

Back