• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dead Sled ....any ideas ---FIXED

I had a similar problem with my 1997 GRand Prix last year. Fortunately it died in the driveway. I tried jump strating it with a freshly charged battery ; nothing, no repsonse, no lights. Seemed as if I had a problem with several fusese or relays. Worked the entire next day tracing wires to fuses and relays. Finally took the battery out and tried jumping it again. Voila, started right up. The battery went bad and had a short in it. Morale of the story, try the simple stuff first! I got a brand-new battery under the warranty.

Red2003 said:
If he pulled the battery and tried to jump it, it might not start. I think there needs to be a complete circuit through the battery. I'd still try a new, or at least different, battery first.
When you jump it, you jump it to another vehicle WHICH HAS a battery, thus it makes no difference.

But from an electrical standpoint, what you say makes no sense. All it needs is an electrical potential, which we sometimes call "voltage", regardless of its source. It can simply be a boost charger (manual though, automatic will shut down if it doesn't sense a battery)

Well, it looks like 77SRXDUDE and Buddah were 1/2 right, and I'm a dumbass.
It was the starter solenoid fuse that was cooked (and I missed it when I was checking fuses).
Took the sled to dealer because it's still under warranty, and they phoned me back saying it's good to go after replacing the fuse.
After reading some of the comments above about the $$$ risks of a completely cooked relay, I asked the dealer to order me one, and they did (at no charge). Props to Proline in Saskatoon.

I wonder why other sleds have fried starters before this fuse blew?......maybe I was lucky I only drove it a mile or two with the gauge flickering off and on?

Back