• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Decided to stud!! What now??

nytrofly

Veteran
OK!! I have decided that I need studs. I got on a 1.5 Intense and it seems that the only option I got in Woody's studs are the Mega Bite 60 deg. Carbide. They offer a 1.575 and a 1.740. What do I go with here?? I plan to run 96 studs, I got my tunnel protectors removed and running 9 tooth extros. I know most say to not run studs without the tunnel protectors but having searched the topic I seen a post in which someone used 1.450 studs on an a 1.5 Intense and claimed that the stud went out about 1/8 " past the lug. Will the 1.575 be any benefit, keeping in mind the slim profile on the tip of the Intense lug??? Will those flimsy little lug tips bend enough to give the studs more penetration??? Or will I have to go with the 1.740 and run the track super tight and hope that the studs dont contact anything under hard breaking??? Please tell me someone out there has gone through this!!

I have a 1.5 track with 2" studs. They would not protrude farther than about 1/4 inch than than the lug height. You don't have to worry about tunnel protectors being removed. Your studs don't go under the protectors anyways. They go in between them or outside if studding the outside of the track. I have run extrovert drivers with a very loose track and have had no issues whatsoever here. I'd go with the longer studs. Rule of thumb is 1/4 past the lug height. Just make sure you use long nuts as the studs will bend and break right off.

Attachments

• XTX 429.jpg
    XTX 429.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 130
That's just plane stupid.....run without tunnel protectors and your asking for trouble real fast! So is using a 2" stud!

gems4sale said:
I have a 1.5 track with 2" studs. They would not protrude farther than about 1/4 inch than than the lug height. You don't have to worry about tunnel protectors being removed. Your studs don't go under the protectors anyways. They go in between them or outside if studding the outside of the track. I have run extrovert drivers with a very loose track and have had no issues whatsoever here. I'd go with the longer studs. Rule of thumb is 1/4 past the lug height. Just make sure you use long nuts as the studs will bend and break right off.

Daranello said:
That's just plane stupid.....run without tunnel protectors and your asking for trouble real fast! So is using a 2" stud!

gems4sale said:

I'm saying you don't have to worry about having the tunnel protectors removed. In other words you don't have to remove them. I didn't and wouldn't. As far as 2" nails, they are the full length needed for a 1.5" track. You will have no issues. Daranello jumped the gun a little as I didn't word it properly and you might think I said go ahead and remove them. I didn't mean that. I'm saying don't worry as they don't need to be removed.

Attachments

• XTX 161.jpg
    XTX 161.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 120
  • XTX 008.jpg
    XTX 008.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 133
Daranello said:
If ya read his first post he says he HAS the protectors removed....

I wouldn't have removed the tunnel protectors. Like Daranello says your asking for trouble doing this. I've seen stud damage inside tunnels from loose tracks whipping up. My Apex has bent metal with studs marks under the tunnel. Glad my exhaust was protected. You don't need to take out your tunnel protectors for longer studs. My stud length is 2" full length. Thats why 1.75" tracks fit under without problem. I don't think there is another .25" under there for 2.25" studs. I could be wrong but you would be getting close to touching things especially when the track loosens up.

Thanks guys!! Looks like its not a good idea to run studs without tunnel protectors but none the less I need studs real bad. Im gonna go witht the 1.74 Mega Bite with the tall nuts and hope for the best. I will give a trial run and see if any damage has occured. If so I will have to re-install the protectors.

SledderSteve said:
nytrose said:
2.0" stud minus 1.5" track equals 1/4"?
Yes, the 1.5" just means the lug height, total track height is about 1.75".

Quick question then!! Are the measurements given on say the Woody's site total stud length or are they equivalent to the measurements given for tracks, ie 1.5" track = 1.5" lug height???? I assumed the stud measurements were meant to correspond with track lug measurements where with my 1.5" track with a 1.74" stud I would get roughly 0.24" of penetration. Someone please correct me if I am wrong before I go out and buy these things.

"Quick question then!! Are the measurements given on say the Woody's site total stud length or are they equivalent to the measurements given for tracks, ie 1.5" track = 1.5" lug height????"

Good question. I measure them myself as I see lots of friends being given wrong studs by the dealerships. Most of the dealerships around here don't have guys working that are snowmobilers. If you can measure the studs before purchasing them, just make sure they are 2" long. I will hold them up to tracks on the show room floor when possible to make sure I'm getting the correct length. Sorry this doesn't answer your question directly.
I found this. For track lug height 1.5" use 1.575" for .300" -.350" penetration. Studs 1.740" are for tracks 1.625 lug height and give .320 - .350" penetration. Not sure how they measure studs after reading this I'm more confused. I always measure them myself. This makes it look like the 1.5+" studs you were looking at are the correct studs for your 1.5" track. If ordering over the phone ask the guy to measure the total height of the stud. It should be 2" for a 1.5" track for around 1/4" penetration.

Daranello said:
Well I use 1.375" studs on a 1.25" RipSaw and have plenty of penatration

The stud chart I have recommends for a 1.25" track, 1.325" studs for .320 -.350" of penetration. So your studs would penetrate 0.05" deeper or .370 -.400". According to this chart in the Royal Dist book. Page 276 in the stud section. These are for Woody's studs.

My aluminum backers bent. I'd use steel. The plastic backers are prone to breaking.

Back