• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did this ever happen to any of you ? (RADIATOR PUNCTURED! )

quebec#1

Expert
Was having a great day saturday and took a short cut to get home decided to stop and take on the view and size up the trail situation to go home.
Noticed prestone coolant leaking under sled . Took side panel off and found a punctured rad from the reverse arm since the rad broke all clips that was attached to the machine the rad and reverse arm had a battle and the reverse arm won !
Did manage to walk about 6k to a road and make it home. The next day a buddy drove me with his machine to my machine we manage to get her back to the road and on to my trailer. I used a type of putty to cover the hole and fill her up with prestone just to get her back to the trailer.
Is this a common thing ?
Please see pic !

Attachments

• Picture 089 (Large).jpg
    Picture 089 (Large).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 090 (Large).jpg
    Picture 090 (Large).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Picture 091 (Large).jpg
    Picture 091 (Large).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture 086 (Large).jpg
    Picture 086 (Large).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 93

Could have happened to me...

I noticed that my tabs were cracked and got my rad. and had it replaced under YES coverage.

I caught this small problem before it grew into a big one.

Wow,never seen that before. I will check our sleds. These radiator and heat exchanger problems really suck. All it takes is one rock to hit a pick in the right spot and have it come loose into heat exchanger. Scary when you think about how far we go and how scarce those parts are to get quickly. Makes a really good day go bad fast!!!!!! I'm gonna keep some of that puddy in the sled from now on,I have heard of people on here using it with success.

I think its pretty common. I'm gonna guess that's an 06. They did beef up the tabs on the later years. They are broke on my 06 but I rigged something up to hold it tight. JB weld and ingenuity!! Has worked so far.

After seeing this happen on here a couple of years ago, I tye wrapped the cramp out of the rad to prevent this should it ever happen on my 07.

In either 08/09 Yamaha beefed up the rad mounts.

Kaz

Budweiser said:
I think its pretty common. I'm gonna guess that's an 06. They did beef up the tabs on the later years. They are broke on my 06 but I rigged something up to hold it tight. JB weld and ingenuity!! Has worked so far.

Ever 06 I've seen has that happen. The new ones are nicer.

teamyamaha said:
Just looked at my 09, it looks much beefier then the the one in the pictures!
Just ordered a new one .
The part # is 8fp-12461-00-00 for 2006 to 2008 the 2009 # is 8FR-12461-00-00
I was worried that the 2009 might be a bit different so i played it safe and ordered the original part #
Do you have a pic of your rad on the 2009 ?

Back