• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Did you see a performance increase with MBRP Trail Can?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper XTX-SE
I have the MBRP Trail can installed and am happy with the sound as well as chaincase access but I lined up against my brother in law, we both have the same clutching (GWG spring, 8FP Weights, 2MM Spacer) and he has a stock can. We were dead even up to around 80 where we both started to run out of power. I must say that I'm happy with the other aspects of the can but in the performance category it left me a bit disappointed.

Did you race together before the exhaust change? How much RPM did you gain after adding the can?

I haven't run mine yet but hopefully this week. I will post my results. I'm not expecting much but since it was a low cost replacement for the questionable quality original muffler, with close to stock sound levels, so I bought one. The MBRP dyno sheet shows about a 7 hp gain on top for the trail can and my rule of thumb is to believe about half of what most manufacturers claim. :D

Snow conditions play a role also....hopefully find some hardpack.

Did you race together before the exhaust change? How much RPM did you gain after adding the can?

I haven't run mine yet but hopefully this week. I will post my results. I'm not expecting much but since it was a low cost replacement for the questionable quality original muffler, with close to stock sound levels, so I bought one. The MBRP dyno sheet shows about a 7 hp gain on top for the trail can and my rule of thumb is to believe about half of what most manufacturers claim. :D

I agree with drumz....but I did notice a difference after I put my MBRP on, I was banging the rev limiter hard. Had to re-clutch.

I'm thinking here...... loosen your secondary to 3-3 (both of you and try some more testing). Are you both running the same rpms?

We both had it at 3-3 for the first day, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter at the top end and he's not.

We both had it at 3-3 for the first day, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter at the top end and he's not.

Exactly what I experienced, if you are hitting the rev limiter....you ARE making more horsepower, need to add some weight to the tip. (This is a prime example of real world testing compared to dyno in my opinion. Dyno shows 5-7 horse but the sled will only prove itself when everything works together)

My belief is that the sleds will be the same (stock can and MBRP) up to about 60 or 80 in your case, but clutched more for the MBRP you should be pulling on him.

I finally put a few (literally) miles on the trail can. I didn't notice it sounding any louder than stock while riding, which is a good thing. I clutched it for just below 9000 last season and now I'm seeing 9100+ 9200 with the can. Time to add some weight. So far so good.

Last edited:
I've got some more work to do, first is a helix and see where it goes, then add more weight to the tip if necessary. Currently I have the 4.5G 17.2mm steel pin in the tip, either go with the heavier Hauck 5.5 or 5.9g weight in place of the 4.5g at the tip or add 2 - 3 g to the middle hole.

Last edited:
One thing I did notice is it has a perfect sound when you hit the right RPMs in the mid range.

It's almost like a well tuned 2 stroke.....how it gets to an rpm and starts to sing :)

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
My can fell apart on me over the weekend. was cruising down the grade in Iron River MI going 55-60 and the bottom pipe fell out. Cracked all the way around right next to the weld. I found out what a straight piped Viper sounds like! WAH!!.. so I got home today and checked my buddies MBRP trail can. He has an Arctic Cat XF 7000 (same as Viper). His was also cracked half way around the bottom pipe. At least his didn't fall out to. This cant be a coincidence that 2 of them have the same exact issue. I would suggest that everyone that has one checks it out before they have the same issue as me. I will be calling MBRP Monday morning to see what they have to say about it.

I guess I'll have to check mine out as well, I've have the the clutch side cover off 10 to 1 compared to the exhaust/chain case side thinking with the MBRP can I was "safe".

Dooh, not good.

How many miles on your sled.

I have ~800 miles on my can.

I'll be checking mine tonight.

It will be curious to hear what MBRP has to say.

Based on my clutching I think the can made more power.

I added almost 2g of more weight to my weights and added more helix to lower the engine rpms.
Engine spins 9000 rpms.

Back