• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DIY belt changing tool.

Cool DIY Redbeard!

I would not have stumbled upon this if it wasn't for my friend Don! With a little search I found it! I have access to a full machine shop at work so this would not be a problem for me to make up. I agree with StevewithOCD, on an Apex it might get rust corrosion with little or no use, not the case on a tuned Sidewinder though.

Also I noticed the Powerblock 80 clutch. 1st I have seen one mounted on an Apex. Care to elaborate?

I had just short of 16,000 miles on my 2007 Attak when I sold it last month with zero belt/clutch issues. I tend to see the PB80's on the 1200 Doo's.

My wife and I got back home yesterday after spending Valentine's Day and the weekend riding in our favorite area; the Keweenaw area of the UP of MI. Nothing says romance like going snowmobiling, right?

When I brought in the mail that collected while we were gone I was happy to see that I was included in Redbeard's circle of friend's as Joe sent me one of his DIY belt changing tools.

He even put a awesome powder coated finish on the washer for a cool custom look. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are some outstanding TY members like Joe who share their great ideas and make this site a valuable asset to us all.

I'm lacking a lot of hand strength when trying to open up the secondary to overcome the spring tension and this tool is perfect and super easy to use. Well done Joe! ;)!

You are welcome, Don!

Thank you for the kind words! I've made many great friends because of this website! ;)

Cool DIY Redbeard!

I would not have stumbled upon this if it wasn't for my friend Don! With a little search I found it! I have access to a full machine shop at work so this would not be a problem for me to make up. I agree with StevewithOCD, on an Apex it might get rust corrosion with little or no use, not the case on a tuned Sidewinder though.

Also I noticed the Powerblock 80 clutch. 1st I have seen one mounted on an Apex. Care to elaborate?

I had just short of 16,000 miles on my 2007 Attak when I sold it last month with zero belt/clutch issues. I tend to see the PB80's on the 1200 Doo's.
Thank you for the comments, Journeyman!

The PB80 is a net result of tinkering that yielded some very positive results! There is/was absolutely nothing wrong with my stock Apex clutch. Like you, I never had clutch problems and I got almost 6,000 miles out of the original belt. Upon reading about these CV Tech clutches, however, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to purchase one for my Apex and Vector. All I can say is; once dialed in, the PB80 is a great alternative clutch that just plain works for the way I ride. They're not a drag race clutch, but once engaged on the belt, they pull hard! It's a smooth, consistent pull! It took a few runs to dial it in, but once there...I was satisfied to the point I left them both on. They are so easy to calibrate. So simple and basically no maintenance. Perfect for the casual tinkerer, such as myself!

There's even a few Sidewinder guys tinkering with a PB80. ;)!

Check this out:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/cv-tech-pb-80-primary-clutch-apex-vector.149604/

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments, Journeyman!

The PB80 is a net result of tinkering that yielded some very positive results! There is/was absolutely nothing wrong with my stock Apex clutch. Like you, I never had clutch problems and I got almost 6,000 miles out of the original belt. Upon reading about these CV Tech clutches, however, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to purchase one for my Apex and Vector. All I can say is; once dialed in, the PB80 is a great alternative clutch that just plain works for the way I ride. They're not a drag race clutch, but once engaged on the belt, they pull hard! It's a smooth, consistent pull! It took a few runs to dial it in, but once there...I was satisfied to the point I left them both on. They are so easy to calibrate. So simple and basically no maintenance. Perfect for the casual tinkerer, such as myself!

There's even a few Sidewinder guys tinkering with a PB80. ;)!

Check this out:
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/cv-tech-pb-80-primary-clutch-apex-vector.149604/

Oh yes, Knappattack has a new one on his bench. In fact I am heading there within minutes to pick up my SW after he installed my Hurricane stock muffler flash. He said he doesn't have a puller for it yet. Long story on those clutches, my dad ran the older version Powerblock clutch in the 1970's on his Ski Doo F/A 400.

Hey Redbeard, thanks for posting this.
I set out to make one of these but I don't have a hole saw that big. I could't cut a circle with a hacksaw so I ended up using a piece of 1-1/4 flat stock instead. Given that I have only blown one belt in 24K miles (the first and only aftermarket belt I ever bought!), I decided to just store it with the belt instead of leaving it installed on the clutch. I used 3/8" bolts because the 14mm wrench that I use to remove the clutch bolt fits them perfectly. I think having 2 bolts is a good option if the clutch has worn bushings and starts to bind from pushing on one side only.
2019-03-04 12.00.30.jpg
2019-03-04 12.01.12.jpg
2019-03-04 12.01.35.jpg

Hey Redbeard, thanks for posting this.
I set out to make one of these but I don't have a hole saw that big. I could't cut a circle with a hacksaw so I ended up using a piece of 1-1/4 flat stock instead. Given that I have only blown one belt in 24K miles (the first and only aftermarket belt I ever bought!), I decided to just store it with the belt instead of leaving it installed on the clutch. I used 3/8" bolts because the 14mm wrench that I use to remove the clutch bolt fits them perfectly. I think having 2 bolts is a good option if the clutch has worn bushings and starts to bind from pushing on one side only.
View attachment 147019 View attachment 147020 View attachment 147021
That'll work, bud! Looks great! :)

https://www.cbperformanceparts.com/clutching-and-drives/quick-change-belt-tool-yamaha/

I went through a pile of receipts and Know I didn't pay $38.00 it's hard aluminum light .. Held in place with original clutch bolt

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10740-yamaha-belt-change-tool/

this one is very involved..

If you lose the one that comes in your Skidoo Tool Kit you can buy a new one for $4.95
https://shop.ulmerracing.com/team-belt-removal-tool-detail.htm?productId=21156237

I thought I bought mine at Ulmer racing.. They have a whole bunch of Clutch Tools..

https://shop.ulmerracing.com/s/search/products/subcategory/Clutch Tools/category/Tools/query/yamaha quick change belt tool/sort/best-match

Last edited by a moderator:

Back