• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DIY belt changing tool.

Innovation is good............... to an extent. I work as an electrical engineer doing research at a University and one important principle that I teach students is to keep things simple or the KISS principle.

KISS, a backronym for "keep it simple, stupid", is a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960. The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design, and that unnecessary complexity should be avoided.

View attachment 144097
I feel the washer/tool I made is far from complex, so pitch your philosophy to someone else who cares.

Merry Christmas by the way.

Last edited:

Adding even one additional component to a system makes it more complex. Nothing against you for trying to be innovative but this idea is not new and I'm not a fan of any of the other versions either. Keep at it. You never know when a useful idea will pop up.

Adding even one additional component to a system makes it more complex.
I removed the stock, thick washer from the 14mm retaining bolt, and replaced it with my 3-1/4" cut-out. That's about as non-complex as it can get. I lost about 1/8" of bolt thread engagement into the jackshaft; easily corrected with a longer bolt if necessary.

There are a handful of add-on belt tools available that I think are well made and useful to many. I'm simply trying, however, to show how you can produce a simple, home made tool in the garage; hence the DIY in the title. I love taking the time to display this kind of work and nowhere did I claim credit as the originator of this idea.

At least one OEM manufacturer thought a belt changing tool was a good idea, as there is a belt changing & deflection setting feature built into the pulley of this mid-90's snowmobile pictured below. I'm not sure they were even creators of this idea, but I do know of at least one other company that's been using a similar, built-in feature for years.

You've made it clear that you have an issue with this style of belt adjuster/changing tool, so please take your arrogant philosophy and move on!

20181231_074149.jpg

Last edited:
A bigger washer is about as simple as it gets.
Although i've never needed a belt removal tool for my Apex, my Sidewinder is almost impossible without a tool.
And i've changed A LOT of belts on it. The belt guard is tight to the clutch & isn't removable in the field.
I torque my helix on, so if i use a 12mm wrench on one bolt, it could get out of torque. It's also hard to push the helix while turning a wrench.

I think Mr Red Beard has used the KISS method and "engineered" a great tool for HIM.

A bigger washer is about as simple as it gets.
Although i've never needed a belt removal tool for my Apex, my Sidewinder is almost impossible without a tool.
And i've changed A LOT of belts on it. The belt guard is tight to the clutch & isn't removable in the field.
I torque my helix on, so if i use a 12mm wrench on one bolt, it could get out of torque. It's also hard to push the helix while turning a wrench.

I think Mr Red Beard has used the KISS method and "engineered" a great tool for HIM.

X2, Well Said!

Kudo's to the kid who home made the tool... Beat's paying $90 for a couple of them like I needed. I tried the wrench way once and the nut started to over torque.. tricky and still a bit hard. I've always pushed in hand etc and done them but this Vector XTX the other day I couldn't get the darn belt off.. I struggled thru getting the wifes vector ltx off . I used the "wrench" method to get the XTX belt done but ordered Rich's tool right off as I didn't want to deal with it again especially on the trail if I ever needed it done. I'd like to get a Rich's for the LTX as well as I'm always taking the belt off in the season to check for bent studs,etc. Too old to fight it.. If I made it It would be out of wack.

Steve, you crack me up bud! lol
cracks me up as well
Steve you have a way with inside jokes about the posts only us diehards who read them all would get...thanks makes me chuckle but then again makes me feel good that I am not the only one to read all these posts.....LOL I am NOT THE ONLY WEIRD ONE

cracks me up as well
Steve you have a way with inside jokes about the posts only us diehards who read them all would get...thanks makes me chuckle but then again makes me feel good that I am not the only one to read all these posts.....LOL I am NOT THE ONLY WEIRD ONE

You are not weird!
You are blessed with OCD!
Welcome. We hold session 24 hours a day here on TY.
We will have to give you name. YamadoOCD

I had a similar piece, same cutout piece but welded a piece of pipe to the one side of it. That way u dont need the 1/4" bolt diging up the helix when u use it. The side with the pipe on it (only like an inch long) will push on the helix instead.

I kinda agree with grizz on the simplicity and never found it needed on other sleds but did this just for my dads viper since it has hardly any room around the secondary for me to get ahold of it, was kind of a pain stock and almost impossible with his clutch kit that had a real stiff secondary spring. In his case that little tool was pretty handy

I made a handful of these DIY tools to give the guys I ride with!

The threaded holes were changed from 1/4-20 to the more common M6 x 1 found on most Yamaha snowmobiles. In addition, the required 10mm wrench already exists in most Yamaha tool kits.

Powder coated and ready to go!

20190126_124556.jpg

20190126_162424.jpg

Last edited:
We've been riding the UP for a solid week and given the DIY washer some real-world testing! The secondary bolt has remained tight, although we did loctite the threads. I'm satisfied!

20190208_084551.jpg
20190208_134457.jpg

Last edited:
I want to Thank Redbeard for the DYI belt changing tool.
Just installed mine and tested it out and it works Great.
If I would ever shread a belt, it will be Great to hold the clutch open if it has strands of string from the belt wound up in it!
Hope I never need it, ( it’s on my “18” Apex) but great to have Incase it happens, have a OSP one on my Sidewinder, now maybe I need one on the rest of my sled?

I want to Thank Redbeard for the DYI belt changing tool.
Just installed mine and tested it out and it works Great.
If I would ever shread a belt, it will be Great to hold the clutch open if it has strands of string from the belt wound up in it!
Hope I never need it, ( it’s on my “18” Apex) but great to have Incase it happens, have a OSP one on my Sidewinder, now maybe I need one on the rest of my sled?
You're welcome, Dan! Not everyone is capable of twisting a secondary spring on their own. Any form of assistance tool on the secondary is cheap labor, especially when you're 1,000 miles deep into a week of bagger riding, or at night on the side of the trail. Been there!

My wife and I got back home yesterday after spending Valentine's Day and the weekend riding in our favorite area; the Keweenaw area of the UP of MI. Nothing says romance like going snowmobiling, right?

When I brought in the mail that collected while we were gone I was happy to see that I was included in Redbeard's circle of friend's as Joe sent me one of his DIY belt changing tools.

He even put a awesome powder coated finish on the washer for a cool custom look. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are some outstanding TY members like Joe who share their great ideas and make this site a valuable asset to us all.

I'm lacking a lot of hand strength when trying to open up the secondary to overcome the spring tension and this tool is perfect and super easy to use. Well done Joe! ;)!

Last edited:

Back