• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do all 07's Crank Slow?

brad d said:
Does the prime trick work? i did it but its hard to say if it started in 10 cranks or 15 with out it.. i will have to do some tests..

but if you instal the updated ECU it's night and day (my buddy just did it 250$)

Brad

Was that ecu only, or decompression springs too?

he got the spring but just did the ECU, said it fires quick now.
( i think the spring and ECU come in the same kit)

said the spring is lots of work to get in and was reading that the ECU is all that is needed.

jfremder said:
Ruckus said:
My 07 cranks way faster and starts way quicker. After sitting for 6 months it started faster than that with no prime.

After sitting essentially empty since February, I put in fresh fuel in our '08. It cranked slightly slower (had been on tender) but started after about 9-10 revolutions. Yours took about 25...

How do you know how long mine took? I had the update done right away and its been quick ever since. I'd say it halved or better the cranks.

I just find it is weird in all the videos how they start. My MP did take longer before the update but never that long, maybe about 8 revs. Now it's about 4. And in the videos, towards the time it starts, you hear it speed up slowly as if it's just starting to fire a bit but not enough to run on its own and eventually starts. Mine never did that. Just an immediate fire. Our '09 also just starts, no ramp up like that and within 4 or 5 revs.

There could be some truth to the oil pressure thing. It might not fire or supply gas until it sees enough pressure. I can't see how the 3 prime trick would work. All that does is pump up the fuel rail to the required pressure for the injectors to work but the injectors won't shoot any fuel until the PCM tells them to. Any overpressure is just bled back into the tank. Cars do exactly the same thing.

Mooseman said:
I just find it is weird in all the videos how they start. My MP did take longer before the update but never that long, maybe about 8 revs. Now it's about 4. And in the videos, towards the time it starts, you hear it speed up slowly as if it's just starting to fire a bit but not enough to run on its own and eventually starts. Mine never did that. Just an immediate fire. Our '09 also just starts, no ramp up like that and within 4 or 5 revs.

There could be some truth to the oil pressure thing. It might not fire or supply gas until it sees enough pressure. I can't see how the 3 prime trick would work. All that does is pump up the fuel rail to the required pressure for the injectors to work but the injectors won't shoot any fuel until the PCM tells them to. Any overpressure is just bled back into the tank. Cars do exactly the same thing.

Yes I noticed the same thing, my 09 turns over is turning over then next second its at full idle no building up.

Mooseman that is true in cars but most quads everytime it cycles it also injects fuel.Person would have to remove injector wires and plug in a noid light to confirm or dismiss this to know for sure though.Either way perhaps the TWO PRIME then start method just removes the old gas from the lines?Either way it does most definitely quicken my starts.

I agree mine just fires.No build up to it.

Both those videos are waay to long of cranking.Couple things to check.

Cranking compression
Idle speed
Idle air control(it is adjustable and coolant controlled,Is the passage carboned up)
Is the sled rich or lean at idle?Slight adjustments can be made with the dash
Remove the belt and see if cold start is faster
Throttle bodies in sync?

I was sold this ECU it is supposedly a update ECU.Can anyone confirm this?
When installed in my sled I could not tell the difference.

Attachments

• DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 198
Here is the numbers for updated ECU's.Yes the spare in pic is updated one and Mike is going to see if it helps his issue.

***ECU Identification located on the top right of the ECU 2nd line.

Mountain Models: Original : 8GP-00 New : 8GP-10

Other Models: Old: 8GC-00 New : 8GC-10

Ruckus said:
jfremder said:
Ruckus said:
My 07 cranks way faster and starts way quicker. After sitting for 6 months it started faster than that with no prime.

After sitting essentially empty since February, I put in fresh fuel in our '08. It cranked slightly slower (had been on tender) but started after about 9-10 revolutions. Yours took about 25...

How do you know how long mine took?
Ooops, that was Brad D's video - sorry I counted rotations from his video

brad d said:
he got the spring but just did the ECU, said it fires quick now.
( i think the spring and ECU come in the same kit)

said the spring is lots of work to get in and was reading that the ECU is all that is needed.

my original ecu was 8GC-00...the new ecu with the cold start update is 8GC-10. My dealer here told me not to bother with the decompression springs...they said they would put them in because someone is paying them for the whole kit to be installed but if i'm doin it myself..not to bother. Before the kit...mine would sputter a little bit after about 10 cranks the finally catch at about 14. now its 4 cranks max and it fires up right away...no sputtering.

Back