• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do it yourself Turbo Kit

I am posting these pics for Snow Fever

Got my air box done, should look alot better once I polish it so it looks like chrome. Now I'll start working on the other plumbing.

airbox-c.jpg

airbox-c1.jpg

I am posting this for Snow Fever

Well I've been playing with summer toys for awhile, and last weekend we went Jet boating and I put my boat on 2 gravel bars. To make a long story short GLAD I bought this new welder that glues aluminium back together. Anyways I'm back on track with my RX-1 project. This picture is of the oil line I installed into the oilier cooler to pick up oil for the Turbo. I drilled and tapped the bolt on the cooler then used brake line and formed it to fit in there real nice and hooked it to the top side of the Turbo oil system.

oil-line.jpg

These pictures are of the line hooked to the Turbo for the water (my Turbo is water cooled for the bearings) I hooked into the carb heat lines to get the cooling and with the Turbo the carbs won't need any heat. For the oil return line from the Turbo I drilled and tapped the filler cap on the valve cover and put in a spigot then wiped some J.B. Weld around it. I will touch that up with a bit of paint later and it will look like its suppose to be like that.

water-line.jpg

water-line2.jpg

water-line3.jpg

While I was in the engine compartment I really hate changing oil in this thing just because of the battery box and now with the Turbo I plan to change it more often so I looked to see if I could improve this process. This is what I came up with, I cut the battery box itself away from the cross member that hooks to the Delta box frame, then I welded on some thin wall pipe that I had cut in two down the center, then drilled and tapped the cross member bracket and now to remove the battery box I can just take out a few bolts that are easy to get to and remove the box without touching that cross member. WAY EASIER and WAY FASTER! I had planned on doing this even if I didn't do the Turbo thing. BIG IMPROVEMENT!

battery%20box.jpg

battery%20box2.jpg

battery%20box3.jpg

battery%20box4.jpg

These are the pictures of the Elec. fuel pump (60 psi) the relay that runs the pump and the fuel pressure controller with the fuel gauge attached to set the pressure. The relay hooks to the hobbs switch on the air box so when the pressure in the air box goes over 2.5lbs it turns on the Elec. fuel pump. Then the fuel pump goes to the regulator that is set for 12-14lbs. There is a spigot on the regulator that hooks to the air box as well and is what this does is controls fuel pressure as boost builds and if you look closely there is a second fuel line that runs back to the tank to bleed off the excess fuel. In that line I have built a simple pressure relief valve that maintains the pressure to the regulator so the gas doesn't just by pass the regulator. I'll have pictures of that when I install the temporary fuel tank (out of a GTP 250 Yamaha trying to stay with the stock program)

fuel%20pump.jpg

fuel%20pump2.jpg

These pictures show the air box polished (it has hand prints all over it though) it came out really good looks like chrome but the pictures don't do it justice. On the front the big HKS valve is to be connected to the intake on the motor (I have it hooked to the 2 center cylinders as the stock fuel pumps hook to the 2 outside cylinders) this is what bleeds off boost presure when you let off the throttle, the vacum on the intake sucks open a diaphram and it dumps the presure which allows the turbo to stay spinning faster so when you get back on the throttle the vavle slams shut and you have instant boost. Then the hobbs switch beside it is where the wires from the relay go and as pressure builds in the air box the hobbs switch completes the circuit to turn on the Elec. fuel pump. I welded on a "T" spigot under the neck of the air box to connect the big air lines for the slides and 2 small spigots on the back side of the air box to conect the small float lines to. On the front of the air box there are 2 small barbs, one is for the fuel regulator the other will run the boost gauge.

airbox-D.jpg

airbox-D1.jpg

airbox-D2.jpg

Yea sometime this week I'll crank'er over just to hear how it sounds, but I still want to swap my track and skis over to some old stuff I have and while thats apart I'm putting in a modified RMK 800 rear heat exchanger in the back where that cross over tube is. Keeping the cylinder temp down is a good thing from past experiences I found.

U R de Man SnowFever I only wish I had a tenth of your knowledge and skills :oops: That looks totally awesome can't wait to hear about how it works out. You should be able to jump over your house this year! almost did it without the turbo last winter :lol: Keep up the excellent work and thanks for keeping us all up to date with your summer project. RX Warrior thanks also for posting this stuff :)

Well fired it up tonite, its louder than stock but not nearly as loud as the muffler I built and ran last year. It is smoking however so I don't know if its just because this turbo has been sitting around for a while or what? It seems to slow down and stop smoking after it warms up so I'll wait till I've run it awhile before I look into it any further. Sounds real good though and the throttle response seems the same but untill I do some testing on the grass its hard to say for sure. Well anyways it runs and the turbo spins and sucks air on the intake side so I guess its officially a TURBO RX-1. You gotta just love the sound of just saying that. When I get my rear cooler in and boost gauge installed I'll take some more pictures. The air box all shinned up looks real GOOD........... TURBO RX-1 TURBO RX-1 TURBO RX-1 man I like saying that! :D :p :wink:

Back