• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do you carry Insurance?

Do you have Insurance?

• I carry full coverage to protect me, my stuff, and just in case it's my fault

Votes: 97 85.1%
  • I carry liability only, just in case

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • I don't have insurace, its too expensive or I don't believe in insurance

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don't have insurance, it's every man for himself

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
No collision, but I have liability, fire, and theft. Wouldn't even think about not having that coverage!

I never thought about carrying insurance on anything I owned out right.. never gave it a second thought always seen this as a toy and recreation, and insurance was just a rip off... But I talked to one of my buddies one day and never thought about how I was liable for the other guy if I am at fault... just thought it was every man for himself because you are off road and ride at your own risk ,but this not true... My truck insurance does not cover me when I am out four wheeling I.E. off road... but snowmobiling is different some how they see it as being on the road and viable transportation, so there for, the insurance is just like auto insurance. I never new that till recently..so now I have insurance on everything with a motor just for liability reasons alone and I would feel horrible if I hurt someone and they could not get the help they need to recover because of me.. Now I know and the insurance is not that bad for what it could cost.. just like a cab ride home is way cheaper than a DUI...

Full coverage period and I'm riding an 02 viper . I have way to much to lose to go without. Plus if an accident was my fault I would not feel right if I was without.

I have full coverage. Guys you can't afford not to have it. One accident you are associated with doesn't need to be your fault, could ruin you financially for the rest of your life.

In Saskatchewan we are required to register our sleds, I think at a minimum of 3 months. You can add as many months as you wish for like $15/month. This gives you a small amount of liability, $200,000 and also a trail permit. The first 3 months costs about $150.00 and I think $80.00 of that is a trail permit for snowmobile clubs. The clubs with more trails, better grooming, snow conditions and signage get a bigger piece of it. So public liability is cheap. Collision insurance is very pricy. I am much further ahead not buying collision insurance, I could spend about $40,000 replacing or repairing my sleds so far and would still be cheaper than buying collision insurance for two sleds a year for the last 25 years. And I have never smashed one that I couldn't repair myself with a few used parts.

I just picked up my first sled a couple weeks ago, 06 Apex ER. I don't have a LOT into in, I do mostly trail riding in the UP of Michigan. Hoping to swing out towards PA, NY, or WI next year. What insurance would everyone recommend? Liability or Full? I don't have much more than 3k into the thing, so I don't know if it's worth to have full coverage.

Thanks!

Guys the insurance is NOT FOR THE SLED.!

Why =>for less than 20K you can replace any sled. That is less than the cost of 7-10 days in the hospital for you, passenger, pedestrian or rider on another sled you are in just about anyway associated with.

My two cents
Yamadoo

In Ontario Liability insurance is law, it covers the other guy and his property, you can combine it with comprehensive insurance which covers fire theft and falling through the ice. Collision covers your sled. I don't carry Collision insurance because it is about 750 dollars a year more. I have saved enough now to buy a new sled so If I total one that is the least of my worries. Anyone I hit is covered, anyone riding with me is covered and that is all I worry about!

I'll add in Canada I'm covered for medical!

Last edited:
My opinion for NY is that insurance should be mandatory at registration just like a car. If you plan to never ride off your own property and therefore do not need insurance for yourself then you don't need to register your sled and that will be that (unless a friend rides your sled or his own sled with you then you might have a problem if there's a crash) but if you register then you presumably are going off your property and by law you HAVE to have insurance on the trail, so just make it mandatory to show proof of insurance at registration and the insurance can't be removed without the green slip from the DMV when it's unregistered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea like Sasquatch said the sled is "least of our worries" in US it is HEALTH CARE COSTS. Yamadoo

Yea like Sasquatch said the sled is "least of our worries" in US it is HEALTH CARE COSTS. Yamadoo

Yep I never go stateside without health insurance even if its just a couple hour trip. I don't need a hundred thousand dollar bill, even with insurance it can be a fight to get clear of the cost.

Back