• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Does anyone ride a stock Yami anymore?

I do something to mine each year, then it makes me feel like I've got a new sled each year. But I do leave the motor stock, as I don't want any problems to arise on the trail. Most things I do, is purely preventative measures on things that are "known to break/fail"

Showroom floor stock? NEVER. Sleds come so poorly setup as far as suspension and worthless 4" single carbides go, they should be embarrassed. Also, most come with a playing card sized windshield too. What a joke.

I wouldn't call my sleds modified by any stretch, but more like personalized. Things like better windshields, dually carbides, studs, ice scratchers, shock covers, mirrors, bar gauntlets (for sub zero days), tether kill switches, soft start primary spring.

Holtzman green slide springs in the carbed Vector along with an RS Nytro seat swap for better seating on it are as serious as any "mods" go on any of my 4 sleds.

I think we all add our own touches to every sled we own. (windshields, studs, mirrors, wraps whatnot)
I have never modified any of my sleds, I want to ride them not risk breaking down. Long tow out of the woods and the short season we have I want to ride not wrench on them.
When I was younger we took out dirt bikes and always modified them to go faster, make more noise and had fun doing it. We had 9 mos to work on them and never rode far from home.
Just like we did with our cars, race on weekend and rebuild during the week. Was all about getting to that 1/4 mile goal faster then your opponent.

Whats the definition of stock? When I hear stock cause I'm old I think did I soup up the motor and the answer would be no, Why would I its got lots of go! Maybe you mean clutching, nope stock! Have great top end, lots of launch, belts last forever. Maybe you mean gearing, nope stock see previous. I changed the carbides to snow tracker, added Dupont sliders and upgraded the suspension with a Star Kit, oh and added the biggest windshiel I could.. Snowtracker because they are awesome and a hundred times better then stock. Dupont sliders cause I'm fat and I need the sliders to last all season. Star kit cause the suspension was a bit stiff in the studder bumps and I wanted to soften it up a tad. Windshield because I'm also tall and fat and to me a windshield is supposed to do what it says and shield me from the wind. I don't like gauge covers and then need handlebar defectors to try and keep your hands warm and knee deflectors to try and keep your knees warm! Just give me wind protection please. I don't want to be cool I want to be warm and toasty and protected from the wind at -30 on an all day ride. Oh I have bags on the rear and a tank bag. So the only thing really is the Star kit. Everything else has a Yamaha part number. Now the turbo guys all say they are stock, wink! wink! nod! nod!

I plan to keep my winder stock for the first 500 miles

I buy a lot of stuff thinking I'm done, it's good, I don't need to do a thing...then I get reading a bit more about it (on places like this) and I find that there are always things that can be improved upon and additions that will make my use more enjoyable.

I have to say though that I am shocked based on the $$$ these things cost brand new that some of the "mods" are things that absolutely should be standard equipment. Ex. What seems to be universally panned tuner skis - why should I have to spend hundreds of dollars on different skis on a brand new sled (not that I have), 4th Wheel kit, lack of a helmet heated shield plug - come on, its a $35 wire, storage - barely a place to put a belt.

Neither my sled or Harley are stock lol. It seems that people that have toys are also tinkerers lol.

Do not be afraid of truly stock every mod I ever made was improvement but not a -junk to great change. Often very subtle difference.
I also mainly want comfort handling, top speed is both a knowledge and a $ Game.
Love the reliability of our Yamaha and Yamacat sleds!

Nah... most people I know leave their sleds pretty much stock. Exhaust is a popular thing to change, and often people add some tunnel storage, but that's the extent of a typical owner around here.

Very similar to trucks. Most Tacoma's on the road are stock. Maybe a stereo, a canopy, or a different set of rims here or there. I used to practically live on a Tacoma enthusiast forum and that place would give you the impression that $50k in mods was "normal".

I plan on leaving my Yamaha mostly stock with some added storage. If my Tacoma is any indication there will be sawzalls, forced induction, and a crying bank account in my future.
Guess if you have a tacoma the only thing you need to wory about is the rotten frames

Last edited:
Reliability you you can’t the Yamahas , comfort is terrible , if any of these guys ride long-distance and they say they’re comfortable I would Say B.S

Back