• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Double down carbides

superfan75

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX Warrior
What is everyone's opinion of the Snow Stud double down carbides. I currently run Simmons Flexi skis with 4" and 6" carbides. They do a descent job of eliminating darting, but the steering effort is kinda high. I've been thinking of running my stock skis with dual runner carbides and I thought the double downs look good. I have snow stud carbides on my flexi skis and they hold up real well. I know snow trackers are also very popular but they very expensive. Anyways I appreciate your opinions.

Not tried those but I finally tried the Snotrackers on single keel stock ski and I am very happy if that helps.
I know the look like to much and vulnerable to bending but worked great for couple thousand miles for me and several of my Manitoba friends have many more miles with out issues.

No dart light steer and corner and track straight and true.

That's good to know about the snow trackers. I would be willing to spend the extra money if the make the steering easier and eliminated darting to. Thanx yamadoo.

I have Snow Studs on my Simmons Flexi Skis and I've been impressed at how well they hold up. I'm also considering getting the BOP MPS kit this summer which may make a huge difference with the old Warrior.

I have run double downs on my attack from new. They last a very long time. I had a set of Woody's dullies on my warrior and they didn't hold up at all. The Woody's would wear the front of the carbide off down to the flat stock and the back was like new. I know they only sell the double downs in pairs, but I have been running one dully ,and one 7.5 shaper bar on the other ski and haven't had a problem with darting.
I used the single shaper bar on the left ski to put the most pressure on that ski so not to push into on coming traffic in right turns

I have run double downs on my attack from new. They last a very long time. I had a set of Woody's dullies on my warrior and they didn't hold up at all. The Woody's would wear the front of the carbide off down to the flat stock and the back was like new. I know they only sell the double downs in pairs, but I have been running one dully ,and one 7.5 shaper bar on the other ski and haven't had a problem with darting.
I used the single shaper bar on the left ski to put the most pressure on that ski so not to push into on coming traffic in right turns
That's a cool idea. I would've never thought of doing that. I think I have some shaper bars that were on the sled when I got it. I may have to try that.

I even did the single on my friends '12 Apex. His wife was always pushing through corners. So with the power steering I wasn't worried about heavy steering. She loves the sled now and she is an excellent rider.
My friend told me she climbs up the back of him in twisty trails now.
I don't feel it changed the feel of the steering on my Attack at all.

I think the shaper bars I have must be the 7.5 if I remember right, they have quite a bit of carbide on them. I'll have to look since its been a few years since I took them off to try different carbides, then I got a good deal on my Flexi skis so they've been sitting around a while. How much carbide are you running on your double downs ?

I've been using DD's on my MP with Camoplast blow molded Cross Terrain skis. Darting is nil but there is a bit of push as mentioned. They wear well. IIRC, I have 10" I have been sharpening them with the Biteharder sharpener.

@kinger , which model DD fit on the Slydogs? They don't list that ski. I have a set but because of the darting, went with the Camos to use DD's.

I've been using DD's on my MP with Camoplast blow molded Cross Terrain skis. Darting is nil but there is a bit of push as mentioned. They wear well. IIRC, I have 10" I have been sharpening them with the Biteharder sharpener.

@kinger , which model DD fit on the Slydogs? They don't list that ski. I have a set but because of the darting, went with the Camos to use DD's.

RD8806 is the part number.

I have been running one dully ,and one 7.5 shaper bar on the other ski and haven't had a problem with darting.

I did this for the first time this year and liked the results.

Wow Thanx a lot for all the replies guys. I didn't expect much response to this question. I looked at my shaper bars and I think they are 6" but for the speed I ride they would probably have enough bite. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the MPS from Travis this summer too. I'm going to be running the old Warrior for a couple more years so I might as well be comfortable . It sucks to get older and have to worry about shore shoulders and back. LOL.

Back