• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing. Oh No!

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Viper Rtx Mcxpress Turbo
Lost the drive shaft bearing on clutch side of sled on my way home on my last ride. Bought a replacement kit and started removing the old one in pieces. And after removing the set screws the bearing what's left will not come off the shaft. Tried many different ways but had no luck.
Any tips for doing this while it's in the sled. I really don't wanna have to remove the driveshaft. That's a hell of a job.
Thanks everyone.
I'm starting to not enjoying fixing after every ride. Hopefully this is the last repair for a while.

image.jpg

You can break the bearing race with a hammer and chisel...just be careful not to hurt the shaft and don't use a sledge hammer...if you hit it too hard you can hurt the chain case.

Try WD and a small punch in the set screw holes...try to spin it on the axle and loosen it up.

Unfortunately that's what I was trying. Tried each direction on each of the set screw holes and just taking a chisel to the remains of the bearing trying to free it up.

You could try lots of penetrating oil over night and then heat. If you are worried about overheating the driveshaft you can wrap wet rags around it beside the bearing. If there is room you can try a cut-off wheel.

I was thinking heat but didn't want to risk damaging anything in there. But I'll let it soak then try heat. Thanks for the input.

Air cut off wheel or a dremal one cut on one side and one cut 180 off dont go all the way threw just most of the way then put ur chisle in thw groove and wack it it will split like butter flip it over and wack the other cut

Well if it were me id pull it apart and check all parts involved.Really.6 pack and your done.

Got the old bearing off with the Dremel and a chisel. Plus a couple days of penetrating oil. New bearing is in and made a strap to hold on the speedo sensor.
image.jpg

I would be concerned with the bearing in the lower chain case. If the drive shaft flopped around enough to wear into the tunnel as shown in your photos the lower chain case bearing definitely experienced loading it was not designed to experience. If that sled was in for service I would not send it out door without a new lower chain case bearing.

Back