• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drivshaft

Corneroffice

I need to replace the front heat X in my 04 RX1. Its beyond saving, hit something hard which bent it into the track then the picks did a number on it.
so my issue is I cant get the drive axle out of the sled chaise.

I have removed the speedo and can get to the left side bearing. Removed the chaincase, chain, etc.
I have also removed the skid, so its only the track wrapped around the driveshaft.

when I try to pull the driveshaft I cant get it to go one way or the other further enough to drop it out of the sled.

must be a trick to this?
thanks for any help, getting 2' in 3 days and Im stuck in my garage!

Last edited:

You have to remove the back of the chaincase also.Top gear is held on by a 36mm nut .It takes a very deep socket to remove it or a large wrench in a pinch.

Also, when I removed mine, the inner race of the speedo side bearing was stuck on the shaft but was able to hammer it off. It also helps to completely remove the set screws on the bearing and spray some penetrating fluid in there.

Update: I have been trying to get the Heat X out but there are 3 rivets that sit behind the secondary that I need to get too. I have been wrenching on the secondary bolt for a few and it wont budge. Im going to put some air to it to see if I can break it loose, but didnt know if it was a right or left thread on bolt. Anyone know?

OK, everything is back together! Added anit-freeze and of course I have a slow leak coming from the short hose out of the HX.
its a PITA to get to and the hose is so short its very difficult to work with.
Im getting a new hose today and plan on getting it as warm as I can (boil in water) to soften it up. then install.
Anyone have other thoughts on replacing that hose? it cant be more then 3" long

Update: Needed to replace the vent hose that is on the back of the HX and connects to the reservoir. small crack in the line. Pain in the A## to get to but done.
35 mi test ride and Im happy to be back on the sled. with over 3' of snow in the past week I need to get out and enjoy it.
thanks for the help

Back