• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

dull finish on hood, how to shine it up???

snopro442

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
mod 08 nytro, 2-2007 phazers and a 2010 sno pro 500 speedwerx exterminator. new 2014 nytro for towing the snowcoach. 2015 Viper mpi turbo
I took off the decals on my 08 nytro hood, then I used goo gone to remove the sticky stuff, now I have a dull finish where I used the goo gone, the rest of the hood still has the shine, any body else do this? What can I try to bring back the shine, any help would be great!! thanks

Pretty much all of the automotive polishes work well on the gloss stuff. I use regular car wax sometimes.

On the flat stuff "trim shine" works well. It an another automotive product for cleaning the plastic bumpers and such on cars.

It's colored plastic so now that a chemical has etched the surface you are kind of SOL. You can try some cleaner wax but I doubt it will work. Yamaha blue plastic is the cheapest part of this sled. IMPO

Ive tried a bunch of products to get the small scratches and dullness out and have had not much for success. Paint is my next step.

eightpilot said:
It's colored plastic so now that a chemical has etched the surface you are kind of SOL. You can try some cleaner wax but I doubt it will work. Yamaha blue plastic is the cheapest part of this sled. IMPO
X2; disappointed after hearing of Yamaha fit and finish and my hood looks used. Went to manufacturer sneak peak and new 2011 Yamaha Nytro MTX SE looked same way. do a search guys have posted solutions

snopro442 said:
I took off the decals on my 08 nytro hood, then I used goo gone to remove the sticky stuff, now I have a dull finish where I used the goo gone, the rest of the hood still has the shine, any body else do this? What can I try to bring back the shine, any help would be great!! thanks

I did exactly the same thing right down to the goo gone and I too have that dull finish where the warning sticker was. I'd love to know how to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only two suggestions I can offer is to try a headlight polishing kit and be careful not to get it too warm when polishing. Usually, you can find them at WalMart, or other placs like that.
Second, prep the panel using a light wax and grease remover and use a good aresol clear coat. (oxymoron there, huh?) The Krylon Fusion clear will work good, or the Duplicolor automotive stuff. Just try to get a can that has the "fan" type spray tip, and don't over do each coat? It possible to strip the windy off and other items, and ask a local body shop if they'd spray clear on it when they spray their next car?

Best solution is to paint it with clearcoating... Just keep in mind to add som softner to the coatning or it will come of. Best thing is to have a pro do it.
It works for me on both the sled and bike, and now its much more easier to make it shine. Now it handles like ordinary car paint. :-o

its too bad to have to clear coat it..i mean make sure its a flexible clearcoat...suck to have it crack etc when before it wouldn't. mine did this also and I have a degree in body work..being colored plastic best bet is to do what the guys above suggested either buy a new hood or you could try the 3m headlight restoration kit but no guarrante on that.

Here's one of mine.
shoppicssleds2015.jpg

Getting SOME shine back can be done - but it's not easy! Quad plastic is what I learned it on. You need to work on a level similar to working with the clear cote finishes on a car. Stay away from areas that weren't hurt! Messing those up only makes the project bigger!

Find a small area 3 or 4 inches square or so to practice on - not in the middle of your hood. Practice getting that looking right - then use that process to do another area the same size. ULTRA fine polishes only - do not use conventional rubbing compound. That'll scratch the daylights out of it, turn it dull immediately. Somebody with a polishing wheel, that's used to working on clear cote, may be able to help without painting it. Don't try it on your own.

Or clear coat it. Just make sure you've properly prepared the surface - or you'll have a REAL mess on your hands.

snopro442 said:

Hope you can get it back. Ive wrecked more than on windshield and other plastics with goo gone, it way to harsh. I now use WD 40 and a little elbo grease. Works every time and leaves a nice shine.

Back