• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DuPont slide problem

nickleuci

Expert
Put a set on have maybe 500 miles on them. They are eating my track. Track is clipped every third window and adjusted fully loose. You can smell the rubber burning. It's not the plastic it's the rubber from the track. Thoughts?

I thought that I have read that if you run Duponts, your track has to be fully clipped. You may have just proved it.

nickleuci said:
Dealer told me every third was fine. :o|

My dealer advised me to put them on as the first thing I did when I accuired mine about a month or so ago, stock track.
I haven't had any issues so far in over 650 miles.

Maybe your track is too loose??

I had thought the same thing was happening to me after putting them on last year, and was afraid my track was being eaten away. But - I think it stopped after a while. I changed tracks this year and got a good look at the track when it was off. I really didn't look bad at all. I wonder if there is some variation in the rubber thickness and the duponts "plane" everything in between to the height of the clips? Just a thought, and might not be at all valid, but I really expected it to be grooved and it wasn't.

Maybe try tightening the track up. I have 9000 miles on duponts (on my second set) with the stock track and have not had say issues with it.

It's worse with the track tighter. Lots of resistance like hitting brakes and rubber smell is worse.

nickleuci said:
Put a set on have maybe 500 miles on them. They are eating my track. Track is clipped every third window and adjusted fully loose. You can smell the rubber burning. It's not the plastic it's the rubber from the track. Thoughts?

These are made to combat your problem: Starting Line Products Part # 25-102 Anti-Wear Pad Kit

They are placed in the closed window and provide a metal surface for the track to run against.

Roadrunner said:
nickleuci said:

These are made to combat your problem: Starting Line Products Part # 25-102 Anti-Wear Pad Kit

They are placed in the closed window and provide a metal surface for the track to run against.

Thanks, but I just ordered clips and will finish clipping my track.

Nytro love hate is right. I love it but my wallet hates it. I spent 120 on duponts to have to spend another 175 to fully clip the track. Damn it! :o|

My original slides lasted 3000 miles and honestly were fine when I took them off. #$%&*

Are all your clips good? Look at your limiter strap. I smelled the same thing and thought it was my Duponts and saw my Rt limiter was broken.

Limiters are mint. There is rubber on the clips and all around the slides.

It's fine in good snow but the minute I get on some hard pack it sucks.

I just changed my first set of duponts after running them close to 5,000 km.
I run a stock track clipped every third and have never had any issues.
I have run them on dry sugary snow, hard pack with no issues.
What else could cause this?
MS

I am thinking it has something to do with suspension settings. Maybe?

I do not have any extra wheels, I m just stock, not sure if thay would make a difference.

There is clearly more pressure/friction between the track and slides up front where the rails bend and at one point in the rear. My stock slides wore thin in these areas then stopped wearing. Duponts are not doing that, so all that pressure/friction is constant. Stock slides wore down to the point where the friction stopped, and consequently the slide wear stopped.

With the duponts the weakest link is now the rubber. I wish yamaha would educate dealers.

Add the wheel kit. It will work wonders. I just ordered the skidoo ones for cheaper on mfg supply. got 6 wheels and added them to my xtx. put cheapo stock slides on this year. 800 miles on them and they do have some were between the rear wheels and middle ones. about 14" between wheels so u can see were its wore more than the rest of the slides. Many have said before that even with stock wheels the slides will wear fast and then stall out wearing around 25% left since the wheels are finally doing there job. The way mine are going now I expect to get 3k miles out of my slides and they only costed me 130 for the wheels w/ replaceable bearings and 30 for the slides.

Yup. My stock slides had 3k miles on them easy. Wore to line then stopped. I should have left them on.

Back