• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EFI sled, carb'd motor, can o' worms - HELP NEEDED

Great decision it should be a relatively straightforward swap now! I'm sure your aware of the service manual but if not brush up on the motor mounting, there is a process for bolting it in place to make sure its square and the mounts have adjustment built in. You need the clutch alignment tool to do it and there is a special tool for the rear alignment bolt but I think when I did mine I figure it out using basic hand tools. I can't remember the detail but you will see when you start. Also VERY important read up on oil priming BEFORE starting. The dry sump system is fairly forgiving but you add oil to the head like 1 qt, then the rest through the tank. At the bottom of the motor there is a check valve that allows oil IN if you get air in it, you may not get any oil circulation. There are ways to fix this but before you ask for help, when you do fire it, leave the top of the oil tank open and look in with a flashlight right at start up and make sure you see oil moving, if you do your solid, if you don't see something in the first 3-5 seconds SHUT IT DOWN.

Copy, I appreciate the input! When I got the sled it actually came with the full service manual as well, I'll keep your input in mind as we get to mounting, I wouldn't have even thought of that!
Seeing is all of our snow is gone the pressure is gone so I can take my time (when I find the time to squeeze it in) I'm sure I'll be back in this thread for help!

Hi all!
So we're getting close to completion of the install but can't figure out what the lever under the headlight switch is for.
It has a cable coming out of it and it's not the brake...
Anyone have an idea?
Compression release maybe? The book says starter cable but can't find where it would hook up to anything

Last edited:
Or maybe the previous owner swapped the control from the rx1 on?

That would be the choke/enrichment lever for a carbureted sled.

What he said!

Great news! It lives!!!

Just need to install the clutch, reroute some wires and assemble the plastics!

Does anyone have any pictures of the wire routing? Specifically the main harness where it comes through chassis by the coolant reservoir...

No one has any pics or is everyone just avoiding the site? :-o

Unfortunately, the site doesn't get as much traffic in the Summer. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

Weber, my friend has an 07 Attack, if you haven't gotten the pictures you need by 4th of July weekend PM me and I'll take some for you, I'll be at his place with access to the sled over that holiday weekend.

I'm not sure if it is the same on the 11 and up sleds. Congrats on getting her going. did you sell the other motor?

sry. the only sled i have acess to for those pics is my brothers 09 mtx but he lives 1-1/2 hrs away from me.

you could see if nate007 has the pics from his supercharger install as i remeber him using one for that.

Hey all, thanks for the replies and willingness to help @snowfever27 @thor452 @maim !
I was able to route the wiring in a manner that seems like it's close to what it should be, everything is plugged in and there doesn't seem to be much strain or rub points but I'd still love to see some pics just to verify but no biggie ;)!

I haven't listed the other motor yet as I want to be 100% I've got everything I need from the boxes before I get rid of stuff, hopefully I can sell it soon though.

I will say though, Yamaha didn't really design these things to service! I can't believe how many parts there are and what needs to be removed to access basic things like oil/coolant/battery...

I've got the back end put together and just need to top off some fluids and make sure there's no air in the lines before I put all the plastics back on because, frankly, I don't want to take them back off if I can avoid it! :jump:

Hope all goes well with final set up and start up.

No they are NOT designed for ease of maintenance issues............. but we still love them. ARRRRG

Back