• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

emergency brake doesnt look right

bulldogbones

Expert
Can someone post a pic of there 06 apex emergency brake. I just put mine back on and something isnt right. Its like either the rotor is to far out or there are spacers missing between the brake and the chain case.

Attachments

• EBrake and chaincase blowup.jpg
    EBrake and chaincase blowup.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 578
GUYS COME ON READ THE FIRST SENTENCE LOL

Can someone post a pic of there 06 apex emergency brake.

Rotor cant be on backwards because the caliper bolted up and slipped over the rotor perfectly.

5d0a042c.jpg

there are 2 small sleaves that are "spacers between caliper and housing... i seems to forget them everytime... i dont have a pick right off... 6 hrs from home right now...

Same as 03 RX-1?

Attachments

• Brake.JPG
    Brake.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 443
...and just found the section view

Attachments

• Yamaha-washer.jpg
    Yamaha-washer.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 416
sherlock29 said:
there are 2 small sleaves that are "spacers between caliper and housing... i seems to forget them everytime... i dont have a pick right off... 6 hrs from home right now...

Good call on the 2 spacers between the EBrake and chaincase, Sherlock. As Sherlock said, the 2 spacers go on the 4mm allen head bolts between the EBrake body and the chaincase.

Here is a pic where the 2 spacers go.

Attachments

• EBrake spacers copy.jpg
    EBrake spacers copy.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 439
Another tip:

If the rotor is getting loose (due to spacer wear at higher mileage) the parking brake pads will start to wear and the brake won't work well. Just adjusting the brake will result in more pad wear over the miles and eventually you'll run out of adjustment.

To stop the wear, pick up some gear shim stock of the right diameter and add them behind and in front of the rotor to tighten it up.

Then to compensate for the wear to the parking brake, add some small shims between the brake and the spacers NY AttakGT's picture shows and adjust the parking brake tighter. If needed you can get extra stroke length by unbolting the end of the arm and using a different set of pick up threads for the parking brake "piston" (in the parking brake housing) as well as a different set of splines for the parking brake arm. Using the combination of both of those you can fine tune the parking brake position and get a lot more use out of "worn" pads.

You want the brake to hold tight when engaged, but not to rub at all when off - even when lightly pushing the rotor in and out. If the rotor is able to rub the pads will wear (slowly).

(Unless things have changed recently) the parking brake pads are not available from Yamaha separately so if they get to bad you are forced to buy the entire parking brake assembly. The pads do just pop out so they are easy to replace if you can find them.

bulldogbones said:
There must be a spacer that goes where the exposed threads are.

31719e9b.jpg

Yup. Missing the E-Brake spacers. they are about 1/2" diameter and about 1/2" deep and go righ between the E-brake caliper and hc chain case. Gotta be somewhere if they were on the before. Better check the "leftover parts" bin!

Back