• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine keeps shutting down

putz21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'23 Sidewinder LTX LE w/EPS
‘19 Sidewinder LTX SE
Went out on our first ride of the season yesterday and put on 67 miles. During the ride, the engine just shut down 3 different times. The day prior, I was getting the sled ready for the first ride and did about 10 circles around the house, and during that time the engine shut down 4 times. All lights on dash stay lit when engine shuts off. The engine starts right back up every time, without any hiccup. I've noticed when the engine does shut down, it seems to be during deceleration where I'm letting the throttle out to slow down. Doesn't seem to have a bogging sound, just shuts off. The engine never shut down while I was cruising along riding....always during slowing down.

I had this happen on one ride late in the year last year, but now it seems to be getting worse. I've disconnected and reconnected majority of the wire harnesses, so I'm now out of ideas of what could be causing this.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I could look for or try?

Sounds like a throttle safety (TORS) switch. How is your cable free play? May need to loosen up a bit.

It would be seeing throttle opening while the flipper pivot pin is not carrying load to the center of the machine.

There doesn't seem to be any free play, or very little. As soon as I apply any pressure, I hear the click sound right away. Here's a pic of the throttle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 347
There doesn't seem to be any free play, or very little. As soon as I apply any pressure, I hear the click sound right away. Here's a pic of the throttle.

Had the same happen with mine, loosen the cable up a little bit !

Yep loosen your throttle cable. Mine shut down a lot on me yesterday. I loosened the cable a couple turns and no problems today in 3-4 hours of riding. No starting issues either. I really like this sled!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Had the same happen with mine, loosen the cable up a little bit !
Thanks! I will give that a try. I'm not at my sled now, but where do you loosen the cable at?

At the handlebar riser. Clip the zip tie and pull the rubber boot back. Loosen the jam nut and turn the cable.
If you hold the bottom left and right buttons on the screen it will pull up the diagnostic mode. Find tps which is your throttle position sensor. It will probably read 1-3% at the idle position. (Which should really be 0%.) Loosen the cable till it reads 0% at zero throttle. Make sure you are getting 99-100% at full throttle. Just play with it a bit and you will see its probably too tight right now.

At the handlebar riser. Clip the zip tie and pull the rubber boot back. Loosen the jam nut and turn the cable.
If you hold the bottom left and right buttons on the screen it will pull up the diagnostic mode. Find tps which is your throttle position sensor. It will probably read 1-3% at the idle position. (Which should really be 0%.) Loosen the cable till it reads 0% at zero throttle. Make sure you are getting 99-100% at full throttle. Just play with it a bit and you will see its probably too tight right now.

Thank you Sean80 for your help! I'll look at this in the morning.

I did check the TPS this morning in diagnostic mode. It did read 0% at zero throttle and 99% at full throttle. I did play with it a bit to see the numbers adjust, and set it back to where I could get it 0% at zero throttle and 99% at Full. Any idea what the 0.6V number is that reads below the TPS number? That number seems to move as you make adjustments as well. Hopefully this adjustment worked. I'll try and test on the lake today.

If you hit full throttle and then let the lever return to zero on its own, will it go to 0%? That's where mine would have the issue. I would let off the throttle but it would still be at 3% until I gave it a touch back. Then it would shut off. All it took was a couple turns to give the cable some slack and I haven't had a problem since.

If you hit full throttle and then let the lever return to zero on its own, will it go to 0%? That's where mine would have the issue. I would let off the throttle but it would still be at 3% until I gave it a touch back. Then it would shut off. All it took was a couple turns to give the cable some slack and I haven't had a problem since.

Yes, if I go full throttle and let go, it returns to 0%. I'm going to go take it for a spin on the lake shortly and test it out to see if any adjustments helped.

Wow great technical help!

Back