• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Pressure shutdown

Spaceman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Thundercat
Hi Everyone, I did an advanced search but not seeing much. 2018 T Cat. Day 5 of week-long trip. Fired up in morning. Warmed to 140f and sled shut off showing code P0524 Oil Pressure Low. Cycled key, restarted and same code pops up and shuts down. Oil is halfway between low and high. I tried a dozen times with same result. Think of possible causes we had an extra oil filter and replaced it. Same result. I sent the group out to ride. 4 hours later i went out. Fired up sled and did full warm up with no code. Sorry for the novel but it's a. Odd gremlin. Any thoughts? TIA Spaceman.

How cold was it overnight?
Is it possible there was moisture trapped somewhere in the oil circuit that was froze?
Was the oil in the filter hot?
Was the oil in the tank hot?

I'd recommend putting an actual gage on it (temporarily). Oil pressure will decrease as the oil temp rises so it is possible that you have a real oil pressure issue (clearances too high, or pump flow too low) that is borderline with cold oil (higher pressure), but falls below the threshold when the oil warms up and becomes less viscous.

Of course, it could also be a sensor issue. I'd proceed with caution until you know which one you're dealing with as journal bearings are really intolerant of low oil pressure.

Not blaming the oil or brand. But I would change the oil in that sled. What oil is in sled ? Any additives to oil? Again just spit balling the oil. Do you run a BOV bypass?

I might even think about opening up the tank itself and checking for obstructions or slug and anything inside the tank itself.

Also is the antifreeze level correct and holding proper level

Last edited:
How cold was it overnight?
Is it possible there was moisture trapped somewhere in the oil circuit that was froze?
Was the oil in the filter hot?
Was the oil in the tank hot?
It was in the single digits. The oil was warm.

0w40 amsoil fresh before the trip. No signs of milky look. Everything stock and at proper levels. I had been running in snow dust allot. Haven't had a chance to check the deutsch connection at the switch.

Change the sensor. If there is oil in the motor and it's good oil no worries. Do you DATA log? Should be making pressure. Mechanical pump Failure could be the only other culprit

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, I did an advanced search but not seeing much. 2018 T Cat. Day 5 of week-long trip. Fired up in morning. Warmed to 140f and sled shut off showing code P0524 Oil Pressure Low. Cycled key, restarted and same code pops up and shuts down. Oil is halfway between low and high. I tried a dozen times with same result. Think of possible causes we had an extra oil filter and replaced it. Same result. I sent the group out to ride. 4 hours later i went out. Fired up sled and did full warm up with no code. Sorry for the novel but it's a. Odd gremlin. Any thoughts? TIA Spaceman.
Hope you got it figured out.
Hope you don't have stripped gear on oil pump. There's been a few. Don't know what would cause it but "D" center hole strips and then just spins on shaft.

Attachments

• Resized952022020695115517.jpg
    Resized952022020695115517.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 41
Also what oil? Hope it's not Klotz 0W-40 Estorlin. When I first got my '17 ZR9000, I used some of that and it plugged up the while system.

A few years back my Attak was having the same symptoms. It would start up cold no problem but after doing a short ride and shutting down it would start for a moment then shut down with no fuel pump running and then initially would not restart until it sat for a while. I replaced the oil pressure sending switch and it has never done it since in well over 1000 miles and a few years.
Interestingly enough that season I was running synthetic 0W30 Mobile 1 racing oil in my Attak at the time but I no longer use that oil in any of my rides.

Back