• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust clamp rotation

Stonetire

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Vector LTX
Has anyone noticed their exhaust clamps (around the donuts) rotating resulting in the section of the clamp the bolt goes through to vibrate against the heat shields? If so, what did you do to tighten the clamps further and prevent the bolts from loosening up? My bolts did not seem very tight when I took them off.

Thanks for the help!!

I was thinking of wiring tying the bolts together. Anyone try it?

Chances are if your clamps are loose your donuts are worn. you can grind the clamp but odds are it will lossen up again. Get new donuts and solve your problem.

Thanks Guys - these are all great ideas. I was also thinking of maybe putting some locktite on the bolt threads but am not sure of the temperature limits. I may be able to get this data from the Locktite web site.

In regard to replacing the donuts, I don't think they are wore as I am not seeing any exhaust blow by at that joint and have not noticed any unusual sounds. It should be noted that I do not have the copper donuts that many refer to on this site - I have what appear to be a stainless steel mesh gaskets with short steel sleeves on each side of the gasket that extend into the header and exhaust pipe. These were installed by the original owner.

The mesh type gasket is the yamaha gasket, mine was pretty much done after 5000km's but I did not notice any sound difference yet.

this is a common issue that happens with yammies exhaust gaskets... hence i have 2 sets of 4 sitting in the spare parts....

the gaskets you see are stock. if you look at your clamps there is a colar that the bolt slides thru.(inside of nut side) usually we have taken about 2-3mm off this colar to allow the clamp to tighten up a wee bit more.. i have done this to both apex's and will do the same to phazer when gaskets need to be changed. locktite will be your enemy in this application. i usually coat NEW donuts with a high temp gasket compound, then coat the threads of the bolts with high temp never seize.

if your clamps are loose, the gaskets are just about toast even tho they may look ok... once you see the width of a new one compaired to what you have you will see.

again recommendations... but once those flex pipes dance around and clamps loosen up it does not take very long for the exhaust flanges to ware, then its big$$$...

I know for a fact the clamps loosened up and rotated as the flange the bolt goes through was resting on the bottom heat shield so it sounds like the donuts need to be replaced.

With that, should I stick with the mesh type Yamaha donuts or try to locate the copper ones I've read about in other strings here? Are there any advantages with the copper ones?

Thanks Guys!

My stockers seem to last about 2 seasons.Next time I will take a chance that the copper ones will not cause wear to the joints and am very confident they will outlast stockers.The soft stockers will conform to any irregularities much better than a copper one will but havent heard of any issues with the coppers leaking.It is early yet though.They have only been out for a year so it is a bit of a gamble.

gay. almost ordered coppers from oft and didnt.
was just down there yesterday and one clamp could be pushed where u wanted it. tightened it and it seemed to stop.
telling me i should really replace the donuts or just order the coppers to have in stock when i hear the rattle?

Yea.I have never heard mine rattling though.Not sure if you could tell if loose other than looking or if real loose exhaust leak.

Lashcat said:
Yes, I found one loose, the bolt was missing.

Saftey wire would do the trick, but all it would do is prevent the bolt from backing out.
So you have the OFT gaskets and your clamps are still coming loose? Why not try the trick noted earlier of grinding the clamp nut slightly to tighten it?

I foung it when I pulled the exhaust tp install the OFT gaskets. I think grinding the nut down, adding a spring and a longer bolt will keep it tight. ( if you plan to stay with stock gaskets)

Back