• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust donuts, Sled Fire!, Code 84

waz

So I finally got my sled together put back together today after installing my front bushing kits, changing the oil and filter and going over everything and making sure everything was good.

I turned the key and got a Code 84, then I turned it over and got it running, took a bit to get going and then added more oil and that's all good. I let it idle a bit and saw some "steam" coming off the engine. Let it idle a bit longer to circulate the new oil and the "steam" started increasing. I turned the sled off and the steam started increasing!!

I went running for some water and quickly got the gas tank off. Turns out the heat shielding I recently installed started burning!!! I got it out before any real damage was done. I didn't use the same paper type heat shield that you can see next to the block in the picture but something else a "other brand" dealer told me to use. Anyways it caught on fire and almost cost me a garage and a sled.

jw9vd.jpg

Also look where the exhaust mounts to the block:
TIwZ2.jpg

That slightly brown color is kind of wet and sticky, thinking it might be oil? Or residue of some type from the fire, there is some on the top of the heat shield that sits between the exhaust and gas tank. Maybe time to replace with cooper exhaust donuts?

My eyes may be playing tricks on me but it looks like u are missing the header pipe gasket?

X2, the thin metal gasket is one piece that goes between the head and header pipes. The stain looks like leakage from the metal gasket missing. The stock heat shield is the only thing to use for there is no glue or burnable material. I had mine White Lightning Coated when it needed to be replaced. The dealer may want to reconsider his recomendation for future customers and I'm sure he will be hearing from you. Thank God there was no burn down for the season is near.

Attachments

• White Lightning Coating 005.jpg
    White Lightning Coating 005.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 97
  • White Lightning Coating 002.jpg
    White Lightning Coating 002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 89
looks like dynamat. still dont understand why youd put heat shielding....UNDER a heat shield.
i mean the topside, ya maybe to insulate the tank and let the heat shield take the brunt of it.
but to put on bottom to try to protect the steel?

If i was to use ANY heatshielding in that area, I'd use header wrap and wrap the whole pipe, but your talking like $100 in header wrap and a WHOLE lot of wrapping.
header wrap can be picked up at any performance shop. lots of racers use it on headers and whatnot to lower underhood temps.

I just put a new top cover on mine and it had a cloth shield attached to it like your second picture. My shield had a ear broke off it and it didn't appear to have any heat shielding material on it originally. I have 7500 miles and I can't believe it would have disenegrated.

When I was going over the sled I found bits of the paper looking shield, and the bottom paper shield was broken a part. That's why I looked into getting this insulation stuff as it looked like there was supposed to be some material on the top and bottom between the metal shields and the exhaust?

But now looking over the service manual I can't find any mention of it any where or a part number to replace it. So the question is, should there be nothing between the metal heat shields and the exhaust?

Also you guys are right, it is missing that metal gasket between the exhaust and the block. Going to have to order one of those right away.

waz said:
When I was going over the sled I found bits of the paper looking shield, and the bottom paper shield was broken a part. That's why I looked into getting this insulation stuff as it looked like there was supposed to be some material on the top and bottom between the metal shields and the exhaust?

But now looking over the service manual I can't find any mention of it any where or a part number to replace it. So the question is, should there be nothing between the metal heat shields and the exhaust?

Also you guys are right, it is missing that metal gasket between the exhaust and the block. Going to have to order one of those right away.

You can't buy the heat shields from yamaha with out buying the metal plates. That is why I bought some aftermarket heat shields (In canada the yamaha ones are 85 and 75 bucks).

This leads me to my question: Where did you get your heat shielding from? Looks similar to the one I put on a few weeks ago.

Maybe missing the gasket cause the heat shield to catch fire?

Heat shields are not fire shields!

Missing gasket could be the cause of the problem.

Lame you can't get them without buying the metal parts as well. Are they necessary to be put in? I notice on Rob's white lightning photos he doesn't have them installed...

Got the materiel from the Arctic cat dealer in town.

The code 84, that is from the throttle cable being too tight?

waz said:
Missing gasket could be the cause of the problem.

Lame you can't get them without buying the metal parts as well. Are they necessary to be put in? I notice on Rob's white lightning photos he doesn't have them installed...

Got the materiel from the Arctic cat dealer in town.

The code 84, that is from the throttle cable being too tight?

Yea I tried a 3 different dealers and none would sell me just the shields.

The coating Rob used is pretty much a heat shield and is probably the best solution.

Code 84 is typically a throttle cable being too tight. Have you recently installed a riser or played with the throttle cable?

Nope, haven't played with it too much going to check it out though once I get the heat shields together and the sled started up again to see what else is going to go wrong.

After seeing this about only thing I would recommend is stock or header wrap.I know those pipes glow red hot at night so darn near does have to hold up to a flame.Anyone know where to find good old Asbestos?

cannondale27 said:
After seeing this about only thing I would recommend is stock or header wrap.I know those pipes glow red hot at night so darn near does have to hold up to a flame.Anyone know where to find good old Asbestos?

Yea, I am definitely having second thoughts about having used the same style of heat shielding.

cannondale27 said:

Kevlar. Yellow in color. If it is NOT yellow, it is not Kevlar. Better than Asbestos in the fact that offers alittle higher heat value, but also very very good against abrasion.

Try Jeg's or Summit Racing. Some of there header wrapping material may be Kevlar. I used the Kevlar in places to keep exhaust heat away from components. Stainless safety wire it to keep the material in place.
IMHO

Back