• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts & Y Pipes....Step by step

I have 5,066 miles on my 06 Attak, sled was sounding a little different so I figured it may be the donuts (original) and took it to my dealer. The donuts were worn but, they said that I could have gone at least another 1,000 miles with no problem. Y pipes were fine; they replaced the donuts and clamps, no charge under YES. They also replace broken rear suspension adjuster cable (broken) and bolted the loose plastic rail caps. Thank-you Y.E.S. ;)!

journeyman said:
So what's the deal with these donuts on the Apex? Is it the norm for donut failure on all model year Apex's at a certain mileage? Why are they failing?

I have been told that the problem is a result of how the sled is built. The front protion of the sled is very rigid, the tunnel is quite flexible. The mileage at which these require replacement is a direct result of riding style. The more agressive the riding style, the more flex created, the sooner they need to be replaced. My Dealer indicated he has seen them go as early as 4000km or as long as 12000 km.

:jump: Breaking News; Yamaha has released replacement Y pipes made from stailess steel in the last couple of days. I just picked a set up from my Dealer in Markham $85 cdn each. Wow! the OEM were $359 each. Talk about being a happy camper. ;)!

SS Y-pipe p/n

Just replaced mine this year, here's the p/n's

P/N 8FP 14610-10 (RH side)
P/N 8FP 14620-10 (LH side)

well pulled my sled all apart....pipes look good yet...donuts are worn a bit but i could have got another season or so out of it...looks like i caught it in time....took the old donuts to my local dealer and he handed me 4 new ones thanks to yes warranty.....so now i am doing the labour myself....funny why they didnt change them when i took the sled in a month ago for them to pull it apart...i guess they dont pull things apart looking for warranty problems....this sled was so simple to pull apart...nothing was too rusted all bolts came apart easy...had the donuts out in less then an hour...sled has approx 6000 kms on it..

Dan you're the man, huge fan of your write-ups. Very thorough. Did RHE the other day and can't wait to tackle this one as well. Thanks Again!

Changing exhaust donuts

I had a customer, he just needed the donuts replaced,so I did most of the steps, but did not remove any of the exhaust system,thats if the pipes are ok and just need exhaust donuts replaced, I removed the rear engine,motor mount bolt and tilted the engine forward, and that gives you enough room to change the donuts, just a hint , From TURBO TURTLE//////////////

I think it primarily falls under the Emissions Warranty. But YES does cover the exhaust and its components. They did with mine anyway. I had all 4 donuts andthe left side Y pipe swapped out under warranty 2 years ago with 2,500 miles.

--Steve (O.C.)

You will know by the sound it makes when exhaust escapes the piping in front of the tunnell, it's much like a car with leaking exhaust piping you can tell right away.

They covered it for me..I already had it apart then I found out..they gave me the ss pipes anyway...I finished it.
I didn't hear any sound at all..I just had to see if anything was going on while in for a good maintance and there it was..pipes were cracking but not enough to affect anything so It was good to fix it when it was in after the season not during it.

Can anyone tell me how much they paid in Canada recently for the newest SS oem Y-pipes. My dealer seem to be lost a bit, because they still want over 400$ a piece!

Thank you
Yummy

Back