• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Issues

Complaining to Yamaha will not get me parts for my Quebec trip!
Went to pick up my broken y-pipe today at my dealer said they had a bubble-gum fix to get me back out on the trail till my parts show up, they said Yamaha will likely cover my parts or most of them. They are fully aware of the problem. The fix they had was a piece of exhaust pipe that fit over the y-pipe, with a really bad flare on the end. They charged me what they were charged by a local welder dude. $125.00. Still no donuts. I just about came unglued. My local exhaust guy laughed his #*$&@ off at me when I showed the piece, said he would make me a proper one for $12.00 and it would be in spec, but there was still no sealent that would hold up to the temps we are dealing with.
I love my Apex, I have converted 5 friends from Polaris and Ski-doo to Yamaha with this sled.
I am however losing sleep over good snow conditions and no sled.
I was so upset on the way home I bought a new Turbo Dragon. It seemed like a last resort solution to the problem...a bit rash perhaps!
Hope It gets me threw this season.
On the bright side I can give a good review on the Polar 4...and I still have my Yamai

I welded up my y pipes,installed new doughnuts,shaved the clamps,and welded the silencer today,and we'll see if it makes it through the weekend. Didn't turn out too bad.PITA,but sounds a ton better!
You bought a Polaris! Better eat your wheaties,they steer kinda heavy :exc:

"I was so upset on the way home I bought a new Turbo Dragon. It seemed like a last resort solution to the problem...a bit rash perhaps! "

Who buys a new sled cause his other one is out of commission? :bling

Well have fun breakin her in....:moon:

I guess you are a little dissapointed with Yamaha... :die

Hopefully Yamaha will get a fix, and learn from the engineering mistake.

I guess I'll be changing my donuts at the end of the season so the Y pipes last another year.

We just will have to wait and see how much it will cost us :o|

Cheers :Rockon:

SKIP said:
"I was so upset on the way home I bought a new Turbo Dragon. It seemed like a last resort solution to the problem...a bit rash perhaps! "

Two of my buddies bought Skidoos right away after being told it would take more than a month to get their Apex's fixed due to back ordered y-pipes.

When there is typically only 2 months of decent riding per year, we pay for a new sled every 1-3 years (average 2), and the sled is going to be down for 6 weeks waiting for back ordered parts - if you do the math, replacing the sled right away doesn't seem all that unreasonable (if you can afford it).

SKIP said:

Well I did exactly that when I bought my Warrior 04. My XCR was down, and couldn't get the ECU before 2-3 weeks +++ the Polaris dealer had nothing to offer me except for an F-7. So I when to Yamaha, did a test run and left the store with my new Yamaha.

The season is too short to wait for BO parts! :die

My dealer ordered the radator, and Y-pipes... He said the Y-pipes are not on back order, but they did not have ship date for them yet..

welterracer said:
My dealer ordered the radator, and Y-pipes... He said the Y-pipes are not on back order, but they did not have ship date for them yet..

My buddy finally got his sled back and the y-pipes arrived about a week ago (ahead of the expected delivery date).

Hopefully you'll get yours fairly quickly at this point.

The radiators are in stock (or at least were last week). I'll probably go through YES for mine (but it seems like such a waste to throw away a perfectly good, very expensive rad just because the mounting tabs are too weak - new tabs could easily be installed if Yamaha wanted to save some $$).

T-Bone said:
What radiator tabs are you guys talking about? The one above your right foot?

The radiator is mounted to the chassis using thin pieces of aluminum that are soldered to the rad and the other end of the piece (tab) is bolted to the chassis.

Every single Apex I've seen has had these pieces crack through, right at the radiator once the sled gets about 4000-5000 miles on it. Usually it is the outer upper (away from the center of the sled) that cracks first, then the inner upper and then the lower.

The rad then falls forwards and rattles against the reverse mechanism, damaging the core.

What we've been doing is using zip ties to hold the rad in place against the chassis. Some of the guys I ride with have put something like 3500 miles on using just zip ties to hold the rad in place without any issues. We've also been installing zip ties along with new rads to "catch" the rad when the new one fails.

My rad has been partially held in place with zip ties for about 500 miles so far, but only the upper outer tab is cracked through so far. The upper inner has cracked about halfway through also.

Once again the problem is a fatigue failure where over miles a crack forms and eventually makes it all the way through the metal (just like the pivot arm cracks, slide rails cracks, oil tank cracks and drive shaft cracks).

Considering how smooth these engines run, I'm surprised that the rad has this problem. Even more surprising is the fact that the rad mount failure has been occuring on all 06, 07, and 08 Apex and Attaks.

Why on earth doesn't Yamaha fix the problem, at least on replacement parts. 3 years worth of the same problem and still new parts being manufactured as replacements with the same problem. It bugs the heck out of me to install parts that I know, without a doubt, will fail again in a similar number of miles.

Update if anyone interested.
Still no Apex exhaust parts. The Quick fix (Polaris Turbo Dragon) got 398 miles in Ontario, on her last weekend. Ran with 08 Nitro, 07 Attack, 800 Rev Blizzard, Turbo Switchback.800 Renagade.
Dragon Ryde FX skid is very stiff, Led to some sore mussles. No issues steering threw the tight stuff,(guess I,m used to 600 lbs sleds) great ride possition and the ride select handle bar is the best system I,ve ever experianced. I switched with Skip (Attack) a few times just to get a fair comparison. I really missed my Apex in the studder bumps. I also thought I was missing the performance as well because of the awfull EU 3000 Honda Generator sounding Turbo engine in the Dragon.
Sadly when we all lined up on Sunday on the hard packed lake the Dragon lept ahead of the herd, and stayed out their for 1000 ' or so.
I guess sound can be deceiving. Or it could be the Attack,s track ratched, and the Rev guy wasn,t wearing a jog bra, and the Nytro and a 6'5 225 lb guy aboard and did a 800 ' track stand!!
I was very surprised that the shitty sounding little 750 was even able to be on the same stag as the Apex.
Best part is I don,t have to pay for the Dragon for 6 months.
Off to Quebec next Sat for a week. Hope that will help to decide which sled to sell next fall!
Sure hope Yami comes up with some good upgrade exhaust parts for the Apex, or the choice will be very easy.

Yep its an 08
I havn,t run it WOT for very long. Tring to break it in properly. Will let you know when I get back from K-bec. Showed 95MPH in short bursts. Its a very sneeky power

sorry...I meant cost wise. But I noticed your in Canada...so it's really irrelevant because your prices are different.

SNOWDOG said:
sorry...I meant cost wise. But I noticed your in Canada...so it's really irrelevant because your prices are different.

A buddy of mine rides a 08 turbo switchback,he paid $9200 for it. Nice sled he gets around the same mpg as my attack.

Back