• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Issues

sorry snowdog
It was $11000.00 CDN plus our taxes. That includes PDI freight, 96 Woody,s, spare belt and plugs and a full tank of fuel. Pretty good deal for us cdns.
I will have 2400 miles on it by the end of next week. So its not really a non current sled yet!
In hind sight it may also have saved me a break down with my Apex in Quebec. I have been reading about all the broken drive shaft issues. I have 6000 miles on mine and it had a bad vibration under power. I just thought it was the new Preditor track I put on. Seems alot are breaking around the 8000 mile mark.
I would have just left it in the bush! :o| :o|

Oh yeah, I also got 2 year warrenty.
The Polaris got basicly the same fuel milage as the 07 Attack Gt in its first 400 miles.

I replaced my rad this past fall when I was going through my sled, at 4044 miles, had to wonder how many others experienced this. Cracked and lost a piece of my Y-pipe at 4523 miles, buddy remanufactured and welded section. Would have liked to changed donuts and mid section gaskets but parts were back ordered. Now have 5674 miles and ride with the thought of these old exhaust components failing .....hanging over my head. I love this sled, but enjoyed it a lot more when I was absolutely confident in it's trouble free nature. I recognize that maintenance is maintenance and bearings, bushings etc. will require replacing however ....I find it less than inspirational knowing that exhaust system and driveshaft failure is likely imminent.

Having said this, I would likely never purchase another 2 stroke, BUT ....I will never argue the expense of rebuilding a 2 stroke at 5000 miles, again. Not with a clear conscience, knowing the expense of Y pipes, the silencer section or the short corrugated manifolds, nevermind donuts gaskets or labor.

I am a Yamaha loyalist as they have been good to me. I sincerely hope that this does not change!

Man I hate to say it, But I'm almost thinking of looking into something else....
I'm going to wait and see what happens for the 09's....
But I have found a great deal on a few 07 leftovers...

Dealer just called, the left side Y-pipe came in and 4 donuts. The right side and clamps should be in end of next week. He has not been given an answer as to weather Yamaha will cover parts. Suggested I call Yamaha customer service Canada, as well and see what they say.
I did, and am waiting for a call back.
Not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling on how this will turn out.

Well my new radator is in.. AND BOY IS IT BEEFED UP.. way heavier than stock.. GUess they had a problem with them..

Y-pipes are on back order..

And oooo great,,, one of my pipes broke in half, and the sled is loud as HELL.. dont know if i can keep riding it..

THis could be the first time a yami has let me down.. with snow still on the ground

Man you guys are scaring me I kept hearing what sounded like an exhaust leak this past week riding. i have almost 2400 miles, think mine are going? It doesn't backfire and seems to run great but I just kept hearing the old sssttt sound every once in a while at certain RPM's. Gene

tryanATTAK said:
Man you guys are scaring me I kept hearing what sounded like an exhaust leak this past week riding. i have almost 2400 miles, think mine are going? It doesn't backfire and seems to run great but I just kept hearing the old sssttt sound every once in a while at certain RPM's. Gene

I tore mine apart today (RX-1 6500 miles) and there was just about nothing left of all 4 doughnuts. DO THEM! It's not a hard job at all. Read the "exhaust doughnuts" thread in the RX section. Be sure you heat up the 2 front bolts (the allen head ones) under the rubber plugs in the tunnel before you try to break them loose.

SNOWDOG said:
Man I hate to say it, But I'm almost thinking of looking into something else....
WTF??? If you had a car or truck and it devloped an exhaust leak,would you sell it?? Come on. $25 in parts and couple hour of laybor every 4000mi? It would be nice if we didn't have to but NOTHING is perect.

I look at my buds running doo's, they're putting new $100 belts every 1000mi,and look at the cost of oil that there dumping in.

berge75 said:
SNOWDOG said:
WTF??? If you had a car or truck and it devloped an exhaust leak,would you sell it?? Come on. $25 in parts and couple hour of laybor every 4000mi? It would be nice if we didn't have to but NOTHING is perect.

I look at my buds running doo's, they're putting new $100 belts every 1000mi,and look at the cost of oil that there dumping in.

I made this comment before I tore it apart. It's really not THAT bad, but it is somewhat a PITA and I still don't think we should be ripping half the sled apart to replace exhaust doughnuts every 3000 miles. I personally think 3000 is MAX. Mine were GONE with small fragments left in there and thats it. And where you getting the doughnuts for 25 bucks? There 36 at my dealer and thats with a 16% discount for ordering online.
When is the last time you had to do ANY exhaust work on a new car? I have an 01 Cargo van with 235,000 miles and that exhaust is fine. I know there will be issues on sleds and I understand that. But then I pull my skid and the Mono cable if ripped out AGAIN. This of course afte their band aid update. And they STILL use this design!
Now that it's half apart...it's being sold for parts. I'm done with the thing and it's worth more in parts anyhow. If I don't sell it before it's too old, you get nothing out of it anyhow.
All I am saying is I am always open to looking at what else is out there. For a new Apex to be almost $13,000 I expect things like RA cables, handwarmers, W arms, rails (on my 05), and exhaust to work and or last a bit longer. 3000 miles is 2 good week trips for me. Every trip I'm ripping the thing apart and replacing SOMETHING. Lots of work for the enjoyment...thats all.

Back