• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust re-assembly

PeeWee

Veteran
Anyone with a tip how to reassemble pipe with muffler back on to 2 y-pipes coming from exhaust head pipes.

I have 5300 or miles on the sled and had to replace exhaust gaskets between head pipes(4) and y-pipes(2).

I cannot get the tailpipe section to slide far enough on to y-pipes. I have taken it apart to make sure the gaskets are not binding in the tailipipe.

Help?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

I took a board and mallet to the back of the exhaust to help it. Otherwise get two people and one hand on the grab bar and one hand on the back of the exhaust and push hard while moving exhaust side to side. The side to side part helped a fair bit. One thing, Every time you push get down and look for the donut material at the end of the muffler pipe. I ended up pushing one donut up the muffler pipe instead of sliding on. Elbow grease the big winner here. LOL

I drill out the rivets on bracket keeping the HEADERS from backing up I then replace the rivets with STAINLESS bolts & nuts for the next time I have to do all over again...makes everything so much easier.

I found a good way to make this work. I took a large washer and ground it down to the ID of the gaskets inside the tailpipe, attached it to a piece of threaded rod with nuts on both sides. With another large washer(nuts on both sides) and a small piece of pipe on the rod I effectively made a slide hammer. By putting the wahser behind the gasket and using the slide hammer the gasket came out of the tailpipe. I put the gasket on the y-pipe, opened the end of the tailpipe slightly, and it slid back together nicely.

Hope this helps anyone having the same trouble.

Tip

This is gonna sound funny,but I just installed a Bender exhaust on my 07 Attak Gt on friday nite.had a hard time getting the donuts to line up with the pipe[kept pushing in],after about an hour,I took Chap Stick,yes Chap Stick,and appied it to the donut edge,it slid right on. cant say if it will work for everyone,but it worked for me... :Rockon:

I am having the exact same trouble with the donuts what a crappy job. I can't seem to get them to go on the y pipe. they either jam on the muffler or on the y pipe. i'll try the chap stick haha!

My mechanic did mine yesterday. We had the same trouble, with 4 guys pounding, and pushing. We took the muffler back off, and stood it up. He put the Y pibe in part way, using lube, then as I held the muffler pipe, he rocked the Y pipe back and forth, right and left. That spread the opening enough to let it slide in with little effort.

Make sure you put the 2 allen bolts back in the Y pipe bracket from above, before you pound, so you dont damage the donuts

okay how much are new donuts? Mine were a little bit damaged when i finally got the bender muffler on. It should work for the weekend but i'm thinking i should get new ones

Back