• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Recommendations

An option is Excells can mod. All work is done internally, supposed to increase 9hp IIRC. Doesn't sound much different than stock. A little throatier sound. I’ve never had a complaint.

An option is Excells can mod. All work is done internally, supposed to increase 9hp IIRC. Doesn't sound much different than stock. A little throatier sound. I’ve never had a complaint.
MtCooler sent his in and Excell said they dont do it anymore. Ulmer either. I agree the mod sounds stock but it still kills power vs Trail can. 600rpm drop.

MtCooler sent his in and Excell said they dont do it anymore. Ulmer either. I agree the mod sounds stock but it still kills power vs Trail can. 600rpm drop.

I talked with the Full Power Performance guys this fall at the grass drags in Epping NH. They said they do the viper exhaust ‘gutting’ mod. That’s really the only option I’m considering. VT is just like Maine, if they don’t have that SCCC stamp you get a $775 ticket. Is it technically incorrect? Yes. But they don’t care, they’re doing the states bidding and the state wants $$$$. So they’re betting you won’t contest the ticket and you won’t take it to the next level. I was a Police Officer for a while, and it’s just easier to keep your stock exhaust. Trout troopers will write you a ticket quicker than you can blink. I may buy a stock suitcase on eBay and have FPP gut it. Then I’ll have it before FPP stops doing it.

Does anybody have a pic of the inside of a modified stock muffler? i'm sure we could modify it, but it would be nice to know how to get the most out of it!

It just sucks we have to give up performance to be quiet. I lose 600rpm when I put stock can on! That’s about only thing Turbo I admire. They are way quieter than na.

Quieter than naturally aspirated, yes. But legal in Maine? No (as far as I can tell)! I may be wrong on this one.

Does anybody have a pic of the inside of a modified stock muffler? i'm sure we could modify it, but it would be nice to know how to get the most out of it!
Ulmer told me how he did it and I am sure he would do same for all. I believe the chamber has a real small hole and he puts a pipe which is much bigger where that hole is. 2" rings a bell. Dont get me wrong its better than stock but not a straight through design.

It just sucks we have to give up performance to be quiet. I lose 600rpm when I put stock can on! That’s about only thing Turbo I admire. They are way quieter than na.
I would agree with the turbo and its affect on the db-level with regards to performance. My only issue is, hp is progressive and very addicting and sometimes we all push the limits of what is reasonable vs ridiculous. What do we really need vs want. With respect to power and speed it can sometimes simulate an "arms race".
I run a pipe on my sled that gives me a lot more top end and overall better performance. I can go farther on a tank and get there faster trouble is I have to shut down my sled to converse with anyone. I ride in Maine as well and I am always getting pulled over for routine warden checks. I only run the "loud can" once in a while its only a ten minute swap. I was not aware of the muffler law in Maine. Bolt in the Quiet MPI suitcase and I'm legal at a lower db-level and lower performance.
Sidewinder, without any mods. Would that satisfy that addiction to speed and power or would I become an outlaw once again? Yes I would be legal but for how long? What Flash what Can what Mod can I use to get me that edge, legal or not.

I would agree with the turbo and its affect on the db-level with regards to performance. My only issue is, hp is progressive and very addicting and sometimes we all push the limits of what is reasonable vs ridiculous. What do we really need vs want. With respect to power and speed it can sometimes simulate an "arms race".
I run a pipe on my sled that gives me a lot more top end and overall better performance. I can go farther on a tank and get there faster trouble is I have to shut down my sled to converse with anyone. I ride in Maine as well and I am always getting pulled over for routine warden checks. I only run the "loud can" once in a while its only a ten minute swap. I was not aware of the muffler law in Maine. Bolt in the Quiet MPI suitcase and I'm legal at a lower db-level and lower performance.
Sidewinder, without any mods. Would that satisfy that addiction to speed and power or would I become an outlaw once again? Yes I would be legal but for how long? What Flash what Can what Mod can I use to get me that edge, legal or not.
Well said agree 100%. Those dirt bike like acceleration is sure addicting though!

View attachment 137620 View attachment 137622
Ulmer told me how he did it and I am sure he would do same for all. I believe the chamber has a real small hole and he puts a pipe which is much bigger where that hole is. 2" rings a bell. Dont get me wrong its better than stock but not a straight through design.

I modified my own last year just by cutting off the chambers with the small holes and drilled extra holes on the inlet pipe. I was just wondering how the professionals did it for max horsepower! I have a D&D trail can that is nice, but wanted something a little quieter and not lose much horsepower!
muffler 1.jpg
muffler 2.jpg

Quieter than naturally aspirated, yes. But legal in Maine? No (as far as I can tell)! I may be wrong on this one.

Bottom line is if it dont have the scc stamp, it aint legal.
Im not sure if they have a stamp or not, but if they dont, I am thinking all those dealer installed mpi turbos could potentially be screwed if a warden was to stop them.
My understanding is they are quieter with the turbo installed so there should not be much to fear, but the potential is still there which sucks.
Its a bullshit law that takes the guesswork out of awarden doing his job.

I cannot, for the life of me, find that certification on the stock Apex (2006 - Present) exhaust. Granted, I'm looking at internet pictures, but still. It was so prominent on the Viper. Would make sense that it would stand out on everything else.

600 rpm loss? Were you talking about the Ulmer or Excell modified stock can on a NA sled?

Back