• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Recommendations

Yes, both items are on sale. He probably didn't adjust the combo price

What exhaust (header and muffler combination) does everyone enjoy running? I just spoke to the great folks over at Evolution Powersports and they have discontinued the SR Viper header because the jig was dropped. I was planning on running their full set-up, but now I’m looking at using the full MBRP system (with trail canister so it’s not THAT loud). Still, I wanted to get a consensus on what everyone else might have seen as I understand the MBRP cans last about two years then they need to be repacked.

Just FYI, I plan on running the Stage 4 tune from Evo with the Excell XV7 intake as I understand that drops intake temps from ~70°F to about mid-30°F. I also ride in Maine, so a “trail” canister is necessary.

Thanks and ride on!

If you are riding in maine i suggest you forget about purchasing a can for your sled.
Maine has changed the law and the only approved exhausts are stock exhausts.
The law is written that the exhaust needs to have a specific stamp on it from the government. SCC i think is the stamp they are looking for.
Anyways, no aftermarket cans have that stamp. So this forces you to stay stock. if pulled over, they just inspect the muffler now. No sound testing is required because the stamp is all they look for. No stamp means you will be ticketed.
It happened to me with an evo muffler, and i just witnessed it happen to someone again last weekend.

Its up to you what you do, but i just figured someone should give you the heads up on the law change

We put a mbrp on my brothers and was really loud,(actually looking g to sell it with about 5 miles on it) dunno how much gain cause I never clutched it for it but rpm did jump a bit so it did gain.

Next we put the full hindle/hurricane setup on it, (header, silencer, airbox mod, programmer, and clutching on the cheap for the moment) runs real strong for n/a and it's not much louder than stock unless ur at full throttle, even then isn't obnoxious.

Also have the full power performance kit on my dads, wich is stock header, his slip on, excell cold air kit, and his clutching. We also added the evo flash and we were still in the middle of dialing in clutches and traction but the flash didn't seem to really do anything for it. That setup runs equally as strong and is about the same loudness but deeper toned so it's not hardly noticeable over stock unless at full throttle.

Here in NY the law is hard on exhausts also, the key is to be close enough to stock sounding they won't even look. Unless u are wide open or get caught being really aggressive, u usually aren't bothered as long as u have ur stickers on. If by chance u do get stopped they usually check papers n such and that's it as long as u didn't sound really noticeable, and would take them a few minutes to check since nobody has regular hoods to raise anymore.

Either hurricane or full power should make it through any check, and has so far for the few we have been through.

I did go through a check this weekend in MI. Right before our strip on grade too. Thought I was done for. They just waved me by with a smile once they saw I had sticker. Had the Ulmer/Straightline can and header on and it was on full blast till stop ahead sign. Whew.

If you are riding in maine i suggest you forget about purchasing a can for your sled.
Maine has changed the law and the only approved exhausts are stock exhausts.
The law is written that the exhaust needs to have a specific stamp on it from the government. SCC i think is the stamp they are looking for.
Anyways, no aftermarket cans have that stamp. So this forces you to stay stock. if pulled over, they just inspect the muffler now. No sound testing is required because the stamp is all they look for. No stamp means you will be ticketed.
It happened to me with an evo muffler, and i just witnessed it happen to someone again last weekend.

Its up to you what you do, but i just figured someone should give you the heads up on the law change

This was the first thing that crossed my mind, so it's something I'm definitely cognizant of (which is why I was looking for something that's reasonable in sound). There are so many variables in the environment that could make even a stock sled seem louder than it is. What amazes me is how they look at just the sound of the exhaust as a factor compared to the rest of the snowmobile. For example, at speed, my track, clutches and whatever else are louder than the exhaust. I also think how you are acting plays a huge part in what the officer will ticket you for. If you're being a total jacka**, then the chances of you getting a ticket is pretty high. It also amazes me that there are laws like this for vehicles (cars, trucks, Harleys, etc.) and the chances of you getting pulled over on one of those is pretty slim to none (rant over). I appreciate you looking out though!

Maine does have to be careful though. There are laws that protect the consumer in situations such as this. There was an article I read that mentioned situations just like this. Basically, just ticketing people because they are using a non-OEM exhaust is a violation of federal restraint of trade laws and is engaging in discriminatory and monopolisitic actions.

Last edited:
Right !? I understand loud exhaust closes trails but what I don't get is how I can here the Harely guys with open pipes a 1/2mile away inside my house with thick R-21 insulated walls and great sound deadening windows, and those guys don't get pulled over or banned the way a sled would ???

I recommend giving this a read if you haven't before:

http://www.amsnow.com/how-to-tech/2010/09/aftermarket-exhausts---legal

Right !? I understand loud exhaust closes trails but what I don't get is how I can here the Harely guys with open pipes a 1/2mile away inside my house with thick R-21 insulated walls and great sound deadening windows, and those guys don't get pulled over or banned the way a sled would ???

Exactly! I live at a fairly major intersection in my town and the cars, trucks, and motorcycles that drive by at night can be ridiculous. That being said, there are others who install an exhaust on said vehicle for the performance benefit, sound at idle, and ever other reason but to be loud and obnoxious.

Its simple. The greenies are hiding in behind the trees not behind your house! LOL.

It’s very simple most of the trails we ride on are on private property. We get ride on them with permission from the property owners. Who to don’t to be in your situation.

It’s very simple most of the trails we ride on are on private property. We get ride on them with permission from the property owners. Who to don’t to be in your situation.
A local club tried posting a short 20mph zone to appease a group of home owners close to the trail to reduce noise to keep the trail were it was. Everyone turned into a “Throttle Blipper” on that stretch which made even more noise and the trail ended up getting rerouted. Building a reroute in the middle of winter SUCKS! Pick a known “Quiet/Trail” can/system and be mindful of the flipper in residential areas. Testing the Ulmer/Straightline on a calibrated meter was 86/87 dB at the local off-road Park, my Radio Shack digital showed 88db which is right at the limit, stock suitcase showed 84db on my Radio Shack.

Last edited:
This was the first thing that crossed my mind, so it's something I'm definitely cognizant of (which is why I was looking for something that's reasonable in sound). There are so many variables in the environment that could make even a stock sled seem louder than it is. What amazes me is how they look at just the sound of the exhaust as a factor compared to the rest of the snowmobile. For example, at speed, my track, clutches and whatever else are louder than the exhaust. I also think how you are acting plays a huge part in what the officer will ticket you for. If you're being a total jacka**, then the chances of you getting a ticket is pretty high. It also amazes me that there are laws like this for vehicles (cars, trucks, Harleys, etc.) and the chances of you getting pulled over on one of those is pretty slim to none (rant over). I appreciate you looking out though!

Maine does have to be careful though. There are laws that protect the consumer in situations such as this. There was an article I read that mentioned situations just like this. Basically, just ticketing people because they are using a non-OEM exhaust is a violation of federal restraint of trade laws and is engaging in discriminatory and monopolisitic actions.

I understand your thought process, but the law is already on the books. in order to win that argument you will need to hire a lawyer, or atleast show up at court. Any way you look at it, Thats gonna cost you money, time, travel, days off from work, etc. it aint worth the battle in my opinion.
again, i am not telling you what to do. I am telling you i have been there and they really are not interested in our interpetation of the law. You can talk till you are blue in the face. They just keep wrting.
Btw. They take pics of your exhause and The fine increases with each violation.

I have used the evo magnum can and the ulmer can, both with a header.
They are both loud. In my opinion, both are way louder than stock, but the ulmer is the quieter of the two.
When i was pulled over i was towing another sled that had run out of gas, through a windy trail. Nothing unusual, never broke 30 mph, but the warden said he could tell from well over a mile away i was illegal just by how loud it was.

I understand your thought process, but the law is already on the books. in order to win that argument you will need to hire a lawyer, or atleast show up at court. Any way you look at it, Thats gonna cost you money, time, travel, days off from work, etc. it aint worth the battle in my opinion.
again, i am not telling you what to do. I am telling you i have been there and they really are not interested in our interpetation of the law. You can talk till you are blue in the face. They just keep wrting.
Btw. They take pics of your exhause and The fine increases with each violation.

I have used the evo magnum can and the ulmer can, both with a header.
They are both loud. In my opinion, both are way louder than stock, but the ulmer is the quieter of the two.
When i was pulled over i was towing another sled that had run out of gas, through a windy trail. Nothing unusual, never broke 30 mph, but the warden said he could tell from well over a mile away i was illegal just by how loud it was.
It just sucks we have to give up performance to be quiet. I lose 600rpm when I put stock can on! That’s about only thing Turbo I admire. They are way quieter than na.

I recommend giving this a read if you haven't before:

http://www.amsnow.com/how-to-tech/2010/09/aftermarket-exhausts---legal

The law does not say that the exhaust cant be modified.
It states if it is modified then those modified parts need to have an scc stamp showing they were tested and passed.
Therefore they are not telling you you cant modify it, you can modify, it just needs to meet the requirements of the law.
Currently there are no aftermarket companies spending the money to get scc approval. They all could, they just choose not to"
When you compare this to oil, most all oil is tested and graded to meet certain specs. So if cat oil and golden spectro oil both meet the same specs, then i can see where the article above is working for you.
I think this muffler thing is an entirely different situation. Just my opinion

It just sucks we have to give up performance to be quiet. I lose 600rpm when I put stock can on! That’s about only thing Turbo I admire. They are way quieter than na.

I hear you loud and clear.
I will most likely be headed towards a sidewinder because without the exhaust mods, i just cant get this sled performing the way i want it to.
Im tired of tinkering with it and miss my apex something awful.

Back