• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust/track/shocks question

my ideas to help you like it more.

1 fix the shocks one way or another
2 better track
3 clutch

with those 3 things it will make it much better and more like your quad.

if you still want a pipe after that get the left side muffler off of an 06 r1 its way lighter and deeper sounding but not much lighter.

hope it helps

ya, gunna hopefully figure out something for the shocks. getting a yoshimura rs-5 off ebay. dad said i cant get a new track. (i cant find one cheap enough anyways) maybe do the clutch next year...not sure. any recomnendations on bang for buck...?

Do the clutch for most bang for buck performance wise.Heck if you know some Yamaha guys with older sleds I bet they will have wieghts that will work or just save the headache and give Ulmer a call.

^are you like an ulmer rep? hahaha every post someone asking what to do its always "go to ulmer" ahah ill check em out thanks

Nope but I bought his clutch kit and on otherwise stock sled it worked great.Once I started modding then I had to do some clutching myself.

Just different exhausts.If you gain power your revs will go up.You will hit rev limiter alot just like with stock clutching.Really doesnt pay to do any mods unless you clutch to take advantage of extra power to gain MPH.Ulmers kit is a great starting point even on modded sleds since his wieghts dont have rivets in them you have alot of tuning room just by adding rivets.I also like a smooth launch and his kit is smooth not a rev and go thing like a dragracer might want.

Cannondale,
You got a link/ contact # to Ulmer's?

Just bought an '07 FX (switched from Arctic Cat) and just starting out in the 4 stroke era.
I've always clutched my sleds, just like the mod- It doesn't pay to go cheap, learned that over the years so do it right one time and be done with it. Sounds like Ulmer's has it together.

Thanks for any info :Rockon:

how many exhausts have you ran? so if i get a pipe, and dont clutch it i will be hitting the rev limiter and #*$&@? cause that happens with my stock exhaust on it right now sometimes...

Ulmers clutch kit will address that stock.I ran Aaen single,dual and true dual also had stock,stock gutted and a Q pipe on there.Making a R1 dual system now to try.All the Aaens required clutching to some degree over the Ulmer setup to avoid hitting revlimiter.I had to put stock back on because of noise in my area.Of the pipes I ran the true duals were what required most clutching but they were the loudest also.From one extreme to another all it took was different rivet wieghts and # of rivets in the Ulmer wieghts to get the rpm under control and the mph up.So it is really only pennies to make any changes and they are minor.Also be careful with belts.They have 2 different OEM belts for Phazer and if you get a different one than you clutched for it will change all your clutching.Getting rpms down where they belong also does wonders for the gas mileage.If you are running pinned alot its easily 3mpg's.

so if i got the clutch kit...what do you mean by rivits and weights...where do i get more weights and rivits and how do i put it on? how easy is doing the clutching? how do i know what belt to use with my clutching? and was the last part sarcsim im guessing?

You set it up for whatever belt you have in there now. He was just saying if you replace the belt make sure it's the same size as what you have now since your clutching will be off if you get the other belt available.

yo dude 12 said:
ooo ok so i looked at clutch kits and they are all for stock pipes... ideas?

Maybe that's because they come set up for a stock pipe but they are adjustable, you have to tune them for your set up.

You can't make a kit for every aftermarket exhaust available.

Maybe that's because they come set up for a stock pipe but they are adjustable, you have to tune them for your set up.

You can't make a kit for every aftermarket exhaust available.[/quote]

this is true. but when you mean tune it your talking about adding more weights and rivits?

Back