• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First issue, no start.

super1c

Country
USA
Snowmobile
22 sidewinder LTX-LE
First problem this morning with 16 viper. About -8 last night with no cover outside. Would turn over but no start. Familiar with this from the nytos dragged it in garage and warmed it up. Fired right up with no further problems. Did a search with no real answer. I know on nytro warming relay usually works. On the viper what is causing this more so what am I warming up that prevents it from starting when cold?

Headlight come on as it turned over? Possibly a relay.

Interesting, hope this doesn't become pervasive.

I was in Lewiston, Mi last night. Sled was outside uncovered. Temp said -4 this morning. Turned key and let fuel pump cycle, then hit it and no problem. Started right up but I have to admit after ownening a Nytro I was wondering if I would have any issues. I notice a pretty big difference if my sled was in the trailer vs. totaled exposed, seems to turn over stronger. Probably a little warmer in the trailer.

Sorry to hear yours did not fire today.

One guy on here mentioned a good trick, he used one of those hot packs things on the relay to warm it up then fired right up. I now carry a few with me at all times.

One guy on here mentioned a good trick, he used one of those hot packs things on the relay to warm it up then fired right up. I now carry a few with me at all times.
Just wondering du mean like a hand warmer and by relay are you talking about the starter solenoid on top of the battery just curious never had a problem but always wondered what I'd do if it didn't start in the cold

It's the relays under the hood that can freeze.

012c%20Fuse%20Original%20Location_zpsjryhltlz.jpg

Happen once last season. Hot sled put into an enclosed trailer for the night. Next morning just cranked & no start. Had to get a very long extension cord to power a heat gun. CAREFUL! Not too hot! I kept my bare fingers by the fuse block to be sure it wouldn't melt anything.

Couple minutes and she fired up. I just picked up one of these to keep in my motel bag.

Iso-Tip 7975 Micro-Therm Flameless Heat Gun
41%2BFM472exL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002V2FEQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also relocated the fuse block for easier access.

014%20Fuse%20ReLocate%20Belt%20Storage_zpswqmpzppe.jpg

Hopefully I won't have to use the heat gun again. Thanks to this site, we can be prepared when these kind of issues arise.

It's the relays under the hood that can freeze.

012c%20Fuse%20Original%20Location_zpsjryhltlz.jpg

Happen once last season. Hot sled put into an enclosed trailer for the night. Next morning just cranked & no start. Had to get a very long extension cord to power a heat gun. CAREFUL! Not too hot! I kept my bare fingers by the fuse block to be sure it wouldn't melt anything.

Couple minutes and she fired up. I just picked up one of these to keep in my motel bag.

Iso-Tip 7975 Micro-Therm Flameless Heat Gun
41%2BFM472exL._SY355_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002V2FEQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also relocated the fuse block for easier access.

014%20Fuse%20ReLocate%20Belt%20Storage_zpswqmpzppe.jpg

Hopefully I won't have to use the heat gun again. Thanks to this site, we can be prepared when these kind of issues arise.
Thanks thats the exact info i was looking for! Easy enough.

Just wondering du mean like a hand warmer and by relay are you talking about the starter solenoid on top of the battery just curious never had a problem but always wondered what I'd do if it didn't start in the cold
Yes hand warmer packs, just lay them or hold them to the relay or solenoid whatever may be frozen. Never had to use them yet but it's cheap insurance and fits anywhere even in jacket pocket. Plus no hazards of fire like a torch or flame etc. Hair dryer or heat Gun obviously works best but not always available.

I thought they had Solid state relays...

No, they are all mechanical.

These Vipers are wired so that if the ISC, Fuel Pump or Tail Light relay fails it won't run. The Nytro's only requires the fuel pump relay to run and that was eventually updated from mechanical to solid state.

Very interesting thread and I've had similar issues with my 2015. Second time was a few weeks ago, stored in trailer overnight (temps just below freezing) and it started right up; I warmed it up for 5 minutes or so and unloaded it from the trailer and shut it off. Went back to start it back up and no deal. At this point, I was kicking myself for not relocating the fuse block as mentioned by a previous poster. So, before spending serious riding time removing the required panels I tried the "beat on it approach" - with the help of a friend we lifted the bow of the sled up about a foot and dropped it. Started right up. As these are mechanical relays, is it possible that this drop method could possibly release a frozen or stuck relay? Regardless. it looks like relocating the fuse block and carrying a heat gun are great options. That heat gun will also come in handy for thawing out frozen door locks on the trailer.

Maybe I missed this but what is the problem with the fuse block factory location? How does relocating it solve the issue?

Maybe I missed this but what is the problem with the fuse block factory location? How does relocating it solve the issue?
it does not solve the issue.
it just makes everything easy to access.

There are two relays in the fuse box that can cause a no start condition but they can easily be checked.

1) With the e-switch in the run position turn the key switch to the "ON" position and you should hear the Fuel Pump run for a few seconds verifying the Fuel Pump Relay is working.
2) With the e-switch in the run position turn the key switch to the "ON" position the tail light will be on verifying the Tail Light Relay is working.

3) If the fuel pump runs and tail light works the ISC relay can be checked by rotating it with the Tail Light Relay which was previously checked and it's operation confirmed.

* The Headlight Relay, Tail Light Relay, Fan Relay, ISC Relay and Fuel Pump Relay are all interchangeable and can be checked by rotating them to the tail light position then turning the key to the "ON" position to see if the tail light illuminates.

Last edited:
There are three relays that can cause a no start condition but the good thing is that there's an easy check for two of them.

1) With the e-switch in the run position turn the key switch to the "ON" position and you should hear the Fuel Pump run for a few seconds verifying the Fuel Pump Relay is working.
2) With the e-switch in the run position turn the key switch to the "ON" position and the tail light should be illuminated verifying the Tail Light Relay is working. (this relay is important because it not only powers the tail light it also powers the Fuel Injectors)
3) The ISC relay can be checked by rotating it to one of the other two positions.

The Headlight Relay can be used in place of any of the three critical relays. This relay powers the headlights, heated components and accessories.

great advise!
I am guessing nobody has found a better substitute for the oem relays?

Back