• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First Nytro 355 miles what should I watch for (durability)

AttakDog

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I just bought my first Nytro after putting 12,000 miles on a 05 RX1 and 11,300 on my 06 Attak. It is a 2009 XTX (see avatar) with 355 miles. What are the first areas that I need to watch, durability wise? I got the apex chassis sleds figured out but I am new to the Nytro chassis. I am going to change the chaincase bolt when I do the service and I have read alot on here already, just want to know about what miles the failures are occurring (front ball joints, limiter strap, etc.) Also what has the YES been covering? thanks for the reply's!

I would look the front end over to make sure there werent any previous impacts. Make sure the subframe doesnt have any bents in it and that the schocks are centered in the a-arms. My ball joints went around 600 miles but varys from sled to sled.

dog...you got a good one I think...call me tomorrow and Ive got some good info for ya..

My exhaust donuts were toast after about 3000 miles, and the front end is getting a little loose...bushings and ball joints.

Besides that, your hyfax will probably be shot soon too lol

I'd look into the oil filter rub problem, and take care of that right away just to be safe.

XTX
Limiter straps was a small fix but big issue for me.
The damage done to the inner drive lugs on my track happend within the first 300 miles, and still there today.
Also, watch out if you or your dealer has studded down the center of your track, center shock gets carved up at bottom mount.
I'm still working on a fix, other than changing the track.
2 more seasons on this track I'm afraid i'll lose the center shock.

AttakDog said:
Ok I'll check the rub at service, thanks!

Might want to just junk the stock bellypan/skidplate and spend the money on the Roest skidplate!!!! Not only does it give you more clearance from the oil filter, but it also extends out past the bottom fin of the heat exchanger... Anything you might encounter (stump, rock) on the trail will flex the stock belly pan and catch the bottom fin of your heat exchanger!!!! It happened to mine and thank goodness it only put a huge ding in the bottom of the exchanger....Well worth the peace of mind!!!!!!

AttakDog said:
Dang only 600 miles! That sucks. Subframe is good, checked it when I bought it

Ya it does. The Yamaha bushings and ball joints are junk. I would get aftermarket ones. They will last alot longer.

Sounds like everybody summed it up pretty well to me. Unlike most sleds, the motor's the only thing you really DON'T have to worry about. Might want to start saving some money for a Hygear setup. I managed to sack my stock suspension after 2500mi the first year. If you like the sled now... you'll LOVE it after letting Hygear get after the suspension. The front triple rate springs make a night and day difference in the handling of this chassis. Also spring for some Hiperfax- the XTX skid is really hard on hyfax. A lot of guys go for extra wheels too- but I like the simplicity of the hiperfax. 3000+ mi on mine and they haven't worn at all yet. Sled rolls a lot easier too (much slicker than stock hyfax).

If you are going to do anything to the nytro, atleast get the hygear sport suspension and different skis. Those two things transformed the sled the most

northerndoc said:
Sounds like everybody summed it up pretty well to me. Unlike most sleds, the motor's the only thing you really DON'T have to worry about. Might want to start saving some money for a Hygear setup. I managed to sack my stock suspension after 2500mi the first year. If you like the sled now... you'll LOVE it after letting Hygear get after the suspension. The front triple rate springs make a night and day difference in the handling of this chassis. Also spring for some Hiperfax- the XTX skid is really hard on hyfax. A lot of guys go for extra wheels too- but I like the simplicity of the hiperfax. 3000+ mi on mine and they haven't worn at all yet. Sled rolls a lot easier too (much slicker than stock hyfax).

Where did you get the hiperfax????

I've only been able to find 1 hiperfax for yamaha sleds, So I assume yamaha has had the same hyfax since 1997? Same design I mean...?

You can find hiperfax by searching on ebay, or typing "hiperfax for yamaha nytro" in google.

Expensive stuff...

Back