• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride on MPI apex! Few questions

MrRX-1

Veteran
Website
johnlaporteracing.com
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
Well first run works good but I have a few questions.
06 apex MPI stage 1. BOV blow off valve proline clutch kit. 24 top gear.
At 1/2 throttle I'm making 6 psi when I crack the throttle I loose 2 psi. Also I am only getting 9700 rpm at full throttle. The arms are empty of weight. Dalton quick adjusts 80grams.
Thanks first time with boost and so far loving it!

Well, I can answer part of your question. Your rpm's are so low because your primary weights are too heavy. If you are only running 4-6psi you should have went with lighter base weights.

Yes the weights need to go, I cant remember what I have but they are super tip and I am at 10-11 psi on a shimmed engine and I think they were around 65-70 grams, been 3 years since I messed with it and forgot LOL.

Also what BOV are you running? Its perplexing why your losing 2 lbs at WOT, if the BOV is adjusted wrong it may be venting.

If you think your having fun now wait till you get your 1000 rpm back. I have a 3 year old belt with 4000 miles on it and I can only pull 9800 this weekend and it feels sluggish compared to 10,500 and 10-11 psi. New belt here I come.

Weight is too heavy for the boost your trying to run, think you called me yesterday but I missed it I was out sledding. Also check for loose clamps etc, that drop is boost is normal depending where you are taking the boost reading from pre or post throttle bodies.

TurboMatt said:
Well, I can answer part of your question. Your rpm's are so low because your primary weights are too heavy. If you are only running 4-6psi you should have went with lighter base weights.

I ordered the kit from John at Proline Performance. I told him what boost I was going to run. The arms are Dalton DTYA2 79-86.4 grams. I will call John on monday maybe he shipped the wrong arms. Thanks Guys.

kinger said:
Yes the weights need to go, I cant remember what I have but they are super tip and I am at 10-11 psi on a shimmed engine and I think they were around 65-70 grams, been 3 years since I messed with it and forgot LOL.

Also what BOV are you running? Its perplexing why your losing 2 lbs at WOT, if the BOV is adjusted wrong it may be venting.

If you think your having fun now wait till you get your 1000 rpm back. I have a 3 year old belt with 4000 miles on it and I can only pull 9800 this weekend and it feels sluggish compared to 10,500 and 10-11 psi. New belt here I come.

I have a Vortech BOV valve. Boost gague is plumbed in at the throtle bodys.
I was wondering if My boost loss might be from the BOV?

TurboJamie said:
Weight is too heavy for the boost your trying to run, think you called me yesterday but I missed it I was out sledding. Also check for loose clamps etc, that drop is boost is normal depending where you are taking the boost reading from pre or post throttle bodies.
Ya I called yestarday did you have a good ride?
Boost reading is from right off the throtle bodys.
Ya I kind of figured the weight was to much. I am going to call John tomorrow and see what we can do.

check the bov mounting bolts they can lose on me once and make sure its set all the way tight at least thats where mine works the best at and 60 gram base weight is where u need to start clutching wise

MrRX-1 said:
TurboJamie said:
Ya I kind of figured the weight was to much. I am going to call John tomorrow and see what we can do.

I am running the same weights, they are awesome, John gave you the right ones. You should be hitting the rev-limiter with the pins pulled out. I had to raise mine by 1200 rpms cause off the line it would slam the r/l and then drop back to 10800-10900 and that is when it was loaded with pins at 8 psi of boost. You are loosing boost somewhere, maybe your bov needs to be adjusted, intercooler is off the t/b's, or a reference hose is open somewhere. As far as RPM's go I would check your secondary, are you running proline's helix with the red spring? What are you running for a secondary spring twist? (what holes are the ends of the spring in?)

insane said:
MrRX-1 said:
TurboJamie said:

I am running the same weights, they are awesome, John gave you the right ones. You should be hitting the rev-limiter with the pins pulled out. I had to raise mine by 1200 rpms cause off the line it would slam the r/l and then drop back to 10800-10900 and that is when it was loaded with pins at 8 psi of boost. You are loosing boost somewhere, maybe your bov needs to beadjusted, intercooler is off the t/b's, or a reference hose is open
somewhere. As far as RPM's go I would check your secondary, are you running proline's helix with the red spring? What are you running for a secondary spring twist? (what holes are the ends of the spring in?)

It is the complete kit from proline. The helix is at 2/6 with the red spring in the secondary and primary. Only pulls 9400-9800 rpm at FUll throttle.

You need to then boot leak check the sled and make sure your not loosing boost or the BOV is leaking, also whats the Air fuel ratio like> What is the boost at WOT?

Hey man just realized I forgot to call you back, really sorry about that give me a call today.

OK rode last night after adjusting my BOV, Boost and RPM Good! 6PSI at 10200rpm
Mid range is Very lean. WOT is really rich looking for any help.
Green 2
Yellow 7.5
Red 7
Blue Green 3
Blue yellow
Blue red 8
Under 50 mph its 12.5 on AFG under 6800rpm
Mid 50-70 MPH 6900-8000 15-17 on AFG
WOT 10 on AFG

15-17 is scary lean but 10 AFRs at WOT is pig rich, you need less fuel at WOT and more in the midrange.... but how? I really don't know. You have the PCIII is it not programmable thru a computer? You really ned a fuel vs boost mapping capability. If the PCIII don't provide that functionality then it's time to upgrade.

Back