• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride w/Curve XS ski's, and balljoint mod on 08'

fergdog93

Expert
Just got home from a ride in St. Helen. Conditions where alittle crummy but it was nice to get in some miles this early in the season. Had about 8-10 inches of snow, but the base wasn't there. Corners where snirty in spots, overall smooth trails (much to my disapointment, as I like to pound the ruff stuff). Needed about 4 more inches and it would have been about perfect IMO.
Took me about 2 miles to get reaquanted with the ol' girl. First off these Curve ski's do NOT dart at all. This sled cornered like it was on rails, with minor push in some bare semi-icy corners. I honestly didn't think these ski's would rotate the sled as well as they did. I feel the balljoint mod helped alot too, I have never been so confidenton this sled.
I had the chance to ride another 08 with doo pilots and stock/unmodified balljoints, this sled didn't dart too much at all, but did push in the corners, and was a bear to steer. This sled also had revalved ressivored floats up front by HyGear which where smooth and responsive, but I felt they needed to be played with for my weight and to help apply ski pressure, and the balljoint mod to help get rid of the push.
I also got to ride an 09' bone stock with about 240-250 miles on it. Altho the handeling was better than the 08's, I would really reccomend a set of Curve ski's. That would take the 09 to the next leval of handleing.
Bottom line is this: I am 100% satisfied with the upgrades I have done so far to my 08', handleing at all speeds is top notch. No darting, no push, light steering effort, and very predictable. I would reccomend these mods to anyone with an 08' nytro. Take your time and dial in your suspension, with the correct toe, balljoint mod, and aftermarket ski's (Curves XS with 4" roundbars in this case) and you will notice a huge improvment over stock.

Fergdog93

i took my 08 out yesterday for the first time this year, with the same mods as u, curve skis and the balljoint mod(along with some other things) , but i was not as happy. I dont know if my suspension is way off or what, but my skis were darting ALL DAY, and the steering effort was horrible. If u dont mind me asking, how do u have ur limiting straps/front air pressure set at ? Im going to check my toe measurements tonight, but i certainly was hoping for more out of these $500 skis :drink:

2lo check your lower ball joints for play. Mine are so shot that it is causing extreme darting

2lo4dsno said:
i took my 08 out yesterday for the first time this year, with the same mods as u, curve skis and the balljoint mod(along with some other things) , but i was not as happy. I dont know if my suspension is way off or what, but my skis were darting ALL DAY, and the steering effort was horrible. If u dont mind me asking, how do u have ur limiting straps/front air pressure set at ? Im going to check my toe measurements tonight, but i certainly was hoping for more out of these $500 skis :drink:

Try toe'ing out your skis 1/2 inch (1/4" per ski) I did that to my Nytro and it helped out a bunch with the handling

2lo, also keep in mind that the Nytro is not a hop on and ride machine and our skis are not a magic bullet. Sure, you can treat it that way but you'll never realize the machine's true potential. If you take the time to set it up and dial it to your weight and style, you'll get more from the Nytro and our skis than you could ever imagine.

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.GoProSchools.com

2lo4dsno said:

2lo, I'm not running the floats, I have the GYTR clickers. This is my setup: My weight with full ride gear is 193lbs. Front strap is in the 4th hole from the bottom, rear strap is as long as it goes. Rear springs are set on Medium. Rear coil over is set at I belive 6 clicks, spring is cranked to only 7/8" thread, rebound is still the stock setting. Up front I have the springs turned down to 2 3/4", comp one click shy of the highest setting, and rebound on max. Toe is 1/2 inch out, 1/4 on each side. With these settings your ride hight (from the ground to the bottom of the front clip at the bumper mount tube, and from the ground to the bottom of the tunnel at the snoflap with the rider on the sled) should be 11" in the front, and 19 3/4" out back. Obviously these settings will be different based on rider weight, and like Sean said ride style. I like my sled setup on the stiff side in the front, and kinda in the middle out back for the ruffer trails, and catching alittle air from time to time, however I think I'm gonna siffen up the rear skid, and this would play a roll in the frontend as far as handleing I'm sure. I feel I ride on the agressive side, so these settings my be on the stiff side for slower speeds. The only thing I did notice with the sled set like this is you have to use alittle more body english in the corners and hang more twards the front to keep the inside ski down.

Also, I haven't tried any shims under the ski rubbers yet. Like I said, this sled is night and day over stock, but I'm going to keep trying new things, like shims, suspension settings, and possibly a set of adjustabile upper arms so I can play with caster. I always feel you can make a great thing better, so I'm going to try. A little tip is to take notes, wright down all your settings, conditions, ext before you change things. This way if you make it worse, you can always go back to your baseline.

Hope this helps!

Fergdog93

I took my 2008 rtx out this weekend for the first time. I also had the balljoints turned down and have the curve xs skis set up to there specs, I set my rear suspension up to supermans settings but i am 210lbs. I was very impressed with the handling in the bumps and on the smooth, had my fox shocks set at 85lbs with weight of sled on it. a- arms are allmost flat.sled did not dart at all. I had no switchiness , sled was very stable to me, I also rode with my 55lb 6 year old at trail speeds and no prob.

Back