• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fogging glasses

I struggled with this for years, my first solution was the ski doo modular which worked but still had trouble with the breath mask occasionally not sealing properly and glasses fogging. Then I tried the BV2S which worked flawlessly for me. Breath shield seals up, is comfortable, glasses would never fog. My third and final solution that I implemented this year is LASIK. BV2S is worth the money (can usually get them on EBay for $300 or less) and is the best helmet I've had. Warmth is also very nice on those cold days. I've ridden with people who wear the open-face helmets and they have froze on the cold days (even though they always say how they can ride in whatever temps I can ride in my BV2S and stay comfortable).

No fog products (tried several) did not work for me, for any length of time anyway. Regular modular helmets with the breath masks are junk compared to the ski doo helmets, my glasses would fog constantly. You have to have a breath mask that seals and exhausts the hot moist air completely outside the helmet.

Provue prescription goggles. Just over 200 bucks. Several USXC racers use them without any problems. Just remember to bring your glasses with, because you look pretty silly eating lunch with your goggles on!

Here's a couple of things I've learned after snowmobiling for over 40 years and being a eye glass wearer. You need to get cool air to the inside of face shield, I wear the old school Sno Force helmet that sticks out farther then other helmets and helps get cool air in and warm air out. If your helmet has a chin deflector in it remove it, that really helps to do this. I wear just a balclava unless it's really cold then I'll add a NO Fog mask which really works great with the Sno Force helmet. Don't over dress, best to be cool rather than hot, your jacket will act like a stove pipe and send all that hot air right up to your head and face shield - BAD. Flip up your shield when you slow down or stop. Buy the latest gear, base and mid layer and outer bib and jacket, it really helps regulating body temp and keeping that hot air from going up the stove pipe. NO turtle necks, once again to hot at head. IF you get hot and sweaty your done. And like someone else said, try to breathe shallow.

All very good info, thanks everyone. I did notice that if I would breath out of my nose it didn't fog up as bad. The problem is that I don't feel like I can get enough oxygen through my nose because I have some sinus trouble.

Get some contacts. I struggled with glasses for a number of years and I was so glad when I finally switched to contacts.

G.B.

I have ridden for forty years n worn glasses all my life. The only thing that works is contacts. Only problem I have now is my eye sight is so erratic I have to take reading glasses with me to read menus n trail maps. Also long range eyesight not the best but that is all part of getting old I guess.
:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

My wife has struggled with this problems forever. This year, she tried my son's open face helmet and 509 goggles and she was pleased with the results. So much so that she bought her own 509's.

2lapsdown said:
Provue prescription goggles. Just over 200 bucks. Several USXC racers use them without any problems. Just remember to bring your glasses with, because you look pretty silly eating lunch with your goggles on!

There are others besides Provue that are less expensive and work just as well. I wear one like this and haven't had any issues. Fits inside the frame of most goggles ... not as well in frames with lots of curvature (the kind that really wrap around your face) ... so you can use it in different goggles. Plus, if my prescription changes, I can have new lenses made for the same insert. All said and done I think these were about $130 after tax, with my prescription installed.
bolle-skiing-goggle-insert.jpg

I went another way and had laser surgery . I had this done 15 yrs ago and still see 20-20. You add up all the money you put into helments, glasses ,contacts etc you more than pay for the surgery. Dont think theres to many prescribtions they cant fix now a days. The freedom to not have to wear anything but sunglasses if i want is worth it right there

I use fog zero paste on glasses & BRP mod & ridden in -30F this year & no fogging. Don't over dress & don't get hothead & don't breath thru headwear or will push breath air past mask thus fog. Works very well for me can't wear contacts & highly recomend BRP mod hat if used correctly.

Back