• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Food for thought. Another collaboration?

Joshua Smith

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 arctic cat xf7000 high country
I have owned several sleds over the last 16 years. while the sleds of today ride like cadillacs and have ample power they are lacking what I like to call "the thunder." What I mean by this is the unmistakable throaty rumble of an early 2000s yamaha triple. My absolute favorite sled to this day was my old yam 2000 sx700r. Nothing to this day comes close to grunt combined with the cylinder symphony coming from under the skid plate. So in saying that I ask this, why cant yamaha bring back our favorite red head, put some modern age fuel injection on it to meet emissions and sell the snot out it? I mean seriously, those things were bullet proof, I had over 8000 miles of punishment on the original motor. I would give almost anything to have that red headed triple, fuel injected, and dropped into a phazer or sidewinder chassis. Am I wrong? Or...could yam sell those engine plans to another company to resurrect the two stroke triple? More reliable than a twin, smooth as butter, and power for days. Can I get an Amen?

I like the SRX power valved, triple piped motor better than the red head tho...

4A3B1041-04BA-4165-B3B7-A7681593C846.jpeg

This motor really trips my trigger!

Yup, blue head triple triple was the combo. Those that had Red Heads would try to put triple pipes on them, and economy went out the door. The original Blue head with triples was the way to go.

I saw an SRX on Facebook marketplace yesterday. It had black heads on it. I was trying to figure out if it was bastardized, or if the engine was just that dirty.

To the OP, most of us agree on the sound/feel. MFG's are limiting noise due to regulation. So offering a machine that can easily be modified for sound is what will happen. But coming out of the factory screaming won't be happening any time soon. At least we know the SRX fell just within legal limits stock.

I have owned several sleds over the last 16 years. while the sleds of today ride like cadillacs and have ample power they are lacking what I like to call "the thunder." What I mean by this is the unmistakable throaty rumble of an early 2000s yamaha triple. My absolute favorite sled to this day was my old yam 2000 sx700r. Nothing to this day comes close to grunt combined with the cylinder symphony coming from under the skid plate. So in saying that I ask this, why cant yamaha bring back our favorite red head, put some modern age fuel injection on it to meet emissions and sell the snot out it? I mean seriously, those things were bullet proof, I had over 8000 miles of punishment on the original motor. I would give almost anything to have that red headed triple, fuel injected, and dropped into a phazer or sidewinder chassis. Am I wrong? Or...could yam sell those engine plans to another company to resurrect the two stroke triple? More reliable than a twin, smooth as butter, and power for days. Can I get an Amen?
They were a cool sounding sleigh in their day as well as incredibly reliable. I rode one for many seasons.
On the flip side I never found it to have a lot of 'grunt', especially down low and considering that it didn't have exhaust valves it should be no surprise.
The most low-end(off-idle) grunt I've experienced to date was my Nytro.
By far the power and widest power I've ever experienced is my Winder. I can't see ever going back to a non-boosted sled.
After a long day riding I prefer the sound of the Winder over the old in-line triple two stroke.

Regardless of the color of the motor, blue or red, it's a yam triple. Wouldn't yamaha benefit by bringing it back with a modernized fuel system and a quiet muffler? A lot of people stay away from yams simple because they dont offer a two stroke. Could the "modernized" faithful triple with weight saving over the 4stroke and the snap of skidoos coveted 850 win them a large clientel base back? I know I would buy one.

Regardless of the color of the motor, blue or red, it's a yam triple. Wouldn't yamaha benefit by bringing it back with a modernized fuel system and a quiet muffler? A lot of people stay away from yams simple because they dont offer a two stroke. Could the "modernized" faithful triple with weight saving over the 4stroke and the snap of skidoos coveted 850 win them a large clientel base back? I know I would buy one.

I think they would sell like hot cakes! It’s just hard to fit all three pipes and the turbo o_Oinside the chassis.
:drink:

I had a 2003 viper and I miss that sweet triple! That sled handled great and the motor was ultra smooth and fast for its day. 5000 trouble free miles when I traded her off for A 2007 Nytro. I would buy A new Yami triple 2 stroke in A heartbeat!

I had a 2003 viper and I miss that sweet triple! That sled handled great and the motor was ultra smooth and fast for its day. 5000 trouble free miles when I traded her off for A 2007 Nytro. I would buy A new Yami triple 2 stroke in A heartbeat!

I also have my 2002 Viper which I bought new in 2002. Over 9,000 miles on it & it still runs like a charm. No major parts were ever replaced, just general maintenance.

I also have my 2002 Viper which I bought new in 2002. Over 9,000 miles on it & it still runs like a charm. No major parts were ever replaced, just general maintenance.
That's how they should be. Yamaha built long lasting strong 2strokes 20 years ago and moved away from them. Why do we get 5000 miles on other manufacturers engines and the crank goes out of them? I believe yam could make a killing on a modernized 2stroke. IMHO

My most favorite snowmobile motor was a triple 2-stroke (700 SRX). A triple has a distinctive sound that once heard is never forgotten. It turns heads even if well muffled. It is a sound that screams performance while at the same time sounds smooth. If one needs a more rational justification consider the performance advantage that comes with a better relationship between port area and displacement of a smaller cylinder. Sign me up! A triple is worth the cost and weight.

If Yamaha ever decided to resurrect their 2 strokes again I wouldn't mind one bit if they'd drop something like this 780 Viper based big bore with a set of triple quiet pipes and squeeze this motor package in the Pro Cross chassis. That's all it would take to get me back on a lightweight 2 stroke again.

V-rooom 'effn V-rooom!

_H0N6223.jpg
_H0N6238.jpg
_W7L5765.jpg

Last edited:
That must of been A sweet ride! Nice pipes and heads,she must have hauled the mail quit nicely.

1B513112-2165-4230-9E65-00ACBE2F0284.jpeg

Viper with SRX pipes. I had a set of CPR’s but the factory SRX pipes were better, not as peaky and mileage was much better. IMO JUST AS FAST, with a bender can of course.
Same mega power head as VX1R

Back