• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Freeride Gearing - What are you running?

Prav

Pro
I have stock FX/RTX gearing (18 tooth top gear). Curious if anyone is running the Freeride with either a 19 or a 20 tooth and how you like it. I saw 89 a few times this past week but wouldn't mind clipping that 90 mark. How much low end was sacrificed by the move if you've made it?

I'm curious as well. I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little down low for a little higher top end, maybe calm down the rpm's a little

I'd be looking more into clutching that gearing on that note. track speed in the powder is good, but not top-end track speed, right? if you clutch a little more agressively, you'll pull harder low end and not have as much chance of over-revving and gain bottom end pull without dogging it, JMO..

fraolib said:
i have an rtx with freeride and 18t and i can only get like 75mph

It took me some time to get the clutching dialed in with this track. It's very important to have it perfect in order to pull the top end. The first time I ran this track with the Schmidt clutch kit I was only seeing 70-72 mph. I also have some overdrive machining done to both the primary and secondary.

Stock FX gearing with my Freeride. I lost a few MPH, but gained them all back with my few simple mods. (Airbox mods, exhaust, and Ulmer clutch kit) So I'm still at the same MPH I had stock which was 85 on average, but I now have a lot better hook up and pull off the bottom.

I have a base 07 model with stock gearing and the freeride track.

yamahas said:
Just curious on why speed would be lost with the different track?

The stock track is a 1" (reality it's a 3/4"). The Freeride is a 1.5" track. The Freeride has more rotating mass - it weighs more and the 1.5" paddle acts as a windmill under the sled. This will pull down top speed on any sled, but it is a bit more noticeable on the Phazer due to the 80hp we're pulling with.

Prav said:
fraolib said:
i have an rtx with freeride and 18t and i can only get like 75mph

It took me some time to get the clutching dialed in with this track. It's very important to have it perfect in order to pull the top end. The first time I ran this track with the Schmidt clutch kit I was only seeing 70-72 mph. I also have some overdrive machining done to both the primary and secondary.
yea well i just have stock clutching and everything else is stock also i dont know much about clutches so i dont really like to mess with them. the only thing ive done with clutches is clean the secondary

with an 18 tooth gear you are looking at 82-83mph on GPS @ 11300rpm before the clutches are fully shifted out, if you can't hit over 90 on your speedo you don't need to go up to a 19 or 20, you will just loose low end grunt and gain nothing up top. A 17 tooth gear will put you in the 77-78mph on GPS range @ 11300 rpm for full shift out and around 83-84mph on GPS hitting the rev limiter so you MAY consider dropping a tooth to a 17 if your sled can't pull over 80mph (90 speedo reading). I know my stock Phazer MTX with a 19 tooth gear which is damn near the same as a short track with a 17 tooth for gearing will only go ~75mph (84 speedo) on a hardpack.

mine is stock gearing im turning about 12300rpm's when i get it back from the shop im gonna try to get them down to around 11500 i hear it may just be my belt and then im gonna bring a gps w me to c how fast im really going

I Honestly didn't notice an difference in pull after putting my Freeride on.

Earlier this month I got on a long seasonal road and decided to do a speed test with the GPS on my phone. I his 87-88 mph on the speedo and my GPS said I had a max speed of 73 mph. My phone was in my backpack so I don't know if that messed with the speed reading or not. I know the stock speedo isn't that accurate, but is it THAT off?

Back